Top Shelf Aquatics

[ jbj 28 gal nano cube LED]

Go Tigers!

Does anyone own one ? If anyone could tell me if it is worth the money.

I have the 28g NC. I don't have the LED but originally bought the Quad CF and upgraded my light to T5's. Cost for my tank with T5 upgrade is cheaper than LED version. Really depends how much you want to spend and how sold you are on LED's. They are cheaper to run and replace but I don't think they are as strong. You can check out my tank by clicking on my signature.

If you do get one check out the upgraded media basket. Makes a huge difference in filtering.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225857

you dont think led output is stronger then t5?

for sure the out put is very focused and dense while T5s are spread out.

Strong lighting? Yep

Worth the cost? NO

i was thinking of getting another nano i was looking at the 28 led but after weeks of reading im not so sure

I don't know... considering you don't have to change the bulbs for what? 17 years? Thye are a fraction of the cost to run and you can grow SPS with them. I'd think they'd pay for themselves.

you dont think led output is stronger then t5?

I can't make up my mind weatheror not to get the hqi or the led......

If you are deciding between the hqi hood and led then don't think twice because you will need a chiller with that hqi hood.

If you are considering the quad pc hood over led because of cost. Then go with quad and you will have to upgrade the lighting if you want sps.

Leds over the hqi hood

Hqi open top over leds

Quad hood over cost.

Midnightsun

Put it this way. If you go HQI you will need a chiller which will put you higher than a LED setup cost wise. Then you have at least double the electricity costs to run the HQI and chiller VS just the LED. Then you need to change your HQI bulbs every year or better if you want to keep everything happy in your tank at about $100 a bulb. Yep. The LED is much cheaper. ;)

Put it this way. If you go HQI you will need a chiller which will put you higher than a LED setup cost wise. Then you have at least double the electricity costs to run the HQI and chiller VS just the LED. Then you need to change your HQI bulbs every year or better if you want to keep everything happy in your tank at about $100 a bulb. Yep. The LED is much cheaper. ;)

its much cheaper when you look long term wise but im wondering about output..i just wish it was more spread out

As one of the owners of an LED that has yet to put any SPS in, It just seemed like all the signs were there.

As mentioned above, no chiller is needed. That in and of itself would cover the difference between an LED and an HQI + Chiller (depending on the chiller).

Then there's electricity. Haven't done the calculation, but I can guarantee that it's cheaper to run than a MH + Chiller.

Then there's replacement cost. I guarantee I will be into another larger tank before the LEDs wear out. MH? Every 6 months or so.

Finally, I haven't ready any proof that the LEDs don't spread out as much as the T5 or MH. Anecdotally, one might suppose by the look of the LED hood that yes this may be true, but who cares. if you really believe this, Just put your SPS right under the center of the tank.

Personally, I love it, and don't regret it one bit. Look around, you can find them for $650ish... Maybe that will help.

Good luck!

As one of the owners of an LED that has yet to put any SPS in, It just seemed like all the signs were there.

As mentioned above, no chiller is needed. That in and of itself would cover the difference between an LED and an HQI + Chiller (depending on the chiller).

Then there's electricity. Haven't done the calculation, but I can guarantee that it's cheaper to run than a MH + Chiller.

Then there's replacement cost. I guarantee I will be into another larger tank before the LEDs wear out. MH? Every 6 months or so.

Finally, I haven't ready any proof that the LEDs don't spread out as much as the T5 or MH. Anecdotally, one might suppose by the look of the LED hood that yes this may be true, but who cares. if you really believe this, Just put your SPS right under the center of the tank.

Personally, I love it, and don't regret it one bit. Look around, you can find them for $650ish... Maybe that will help.

Good luck!

where did ypu get yours? i just missed out on a 28led with stand for $599

Archived