Coral Vue Hydros

Water volume in tank

jcs11235

I know this is a dumb question but I know when i first set up my 28 gal jbj- I didnt put 28 gal of saltwater in. With the weight of sand and live rock etc., the tank might have about 20 gal.. So when you dose or adding chemicals-what gallon number do you go by.. The number of gallons the tank states or estimate how much is actually in there.. ESV 2 part says add 1ml to every 4 gallons.. So am i adding according to 28 gal or 20ish?

by no means am i experienced, but if your were to dose according to how much water is acutally in the tank i think you'd be safer than putting too much. thats just my 2cents though. any other more exp. folks wanna chime in?

good point. my 15g has just over 12 gallons of water in the DT. I would go for the smaller number as well. don't want to OD

You better be testing for everything you are dosing for. Dosing is only needed in hard coral heavy systems. I would dose a little, wait, and test. Then find out how much your tank needs.

yea-i think i will dose slow/lower. i appreciate replies. i bought a clam 2 weeks ago and i think i need to raise my cal/alk.. hes doing fine but a few members on another board told me it should be higher..

My current cal/alk is:

Cal-380

Alk-7

PH 8.2

Yea your calcium and alk should be higher. Dose a little, wait a little, then test. Then test again in a couple days, and if you need to dose, dose. Then figure out a pattern of dosing and you are set.

Archived