SaltCritters.com

MP10 or MP20 Vortech for a 55 Breeder?

matt frizz

Planning out an upgrade to a 55 Breeder and I'm picking up the tank tomorrow. I plan on purchasing a single vortech for this tank and I was deciding between the MP10 and the MP20 obviously the MP20 is the better decision but I wanted a second opinion to see if I can save $100. If it's not advisable then I won't even consider the MP10 but if it is advisable I may consider it.

Also, I plan on upgrading my skimmer to the Marineland Pro 100. I'm going to be running my eshopps sump on this tank that is rated for up to 75 Gallons. It has one inlet.

My tank has the option of an SQWD and I'm unsure of what this is. The guy who's selling me the tank wants 30 extra dollars for it though.

Here is a pic of the back of the tank:

032.jpg

Also, does anybody have any ideas of how to hang a T5HO lighting system without buying an expensive system?

--Matt

The Mp10 is rated somewhere between 200-1500gph, but when it was reviewed it put out 400-1800 gph. Truthfully I would go with the MP10 and save the 100 for now, if more flow is needed then get another mp10. The squid is not good. It breaks, jams and also kills alot of the flow on the pump its attached to.

Another thing you can do is get a tunze wavebox and again if needed get a nano powerhead from Koralia or an mp10.

The MP10 is an awesome powerhead...you should see this little bugger get down...

What is the measurements of the tank? Are you going to be placing a hood on it or open top?

lakshwadeep

The mp20 is a good choice if you ever wanted to upgrade it to the mp40w; the only difference being the controller used.

Nemo Niblets

The SCWD goes onto the pump return and randomizes the flow. Maybe a good choice, but the vortechs will do enough randomizing.

I would personally do an MP40w or two MP10s. The MP20 isn't much stronger than an MP10. The MP40w might be enough, but then you get the problem of less flow on the other side of the tank. Two wireless MP10s would work well IMO.

OClownsandNanos
The SCWD goes onto the pump return and randomizes the flow. Maybe a good choice, but the vortechs will do enough randomizing.

I would personally do an MP40w or two MP10s. The MP20 isn't much stronger than an MP10. The MP40w might be enough, but then you get the problem of less flow on the other side of the tank. Two wireless MP10s would work well IMO.

+1 I've got the MP20 cranked about 85%-90% on my 40br and it's certainly not high flow all over (which is fine for me but I keep a mixed reef). Adding an extra foot would make a difference IMO. I vote MP40w or two MP10w. Of course, you can always buy the MP20 and upgrade too, as lak said.

I agree with previous posts, either go two MP10Ws or a MP40W.

Personally I'm currently setting up a 40Breeder and using two MP40Ws.

My tank has 3 built in returns one that returns 1/2 the GPA and the other 2 are 1/4 the GPA each. I was told by the guy that I purchased it by that I wouldn't even need a powerhead because of the closed loop and the 3 returns.

Is this a correct statement? He told me that he didn't run a powerhead on it and that it was a perfect tank. He told me to run like a Mag-12 (IIRC) on the return pump and that I'd be golden.

If this is correct then that's good news because I can spend more money on my new skimmer. Also, he told me that the SCWD worked great for him and that he had no complaints. He seemed very knowledgeable and he had an amazing 120 gallon system set up with a lot of coral, and pristine conditions. It was all hooked up to an elaborate sump and honestly it all looked very legit.

He also gave me a huge sump for free that he built himself. So for $110 I got the tank with all of the plumbing done, the SCWD, and the sump. I'll upload some more pictures tomorrow.

I f you have the SCWD then that is good enough and no you will not need powerheads.

Sounds good then. I'd love to spend more on the skimmer. I was going to go with the marineland but I'll spend more now. Any suggestions?

Also, any second opinions on the SCWD? Somebody up there in the posts said that they don't work well in their opinion.

I have seen these in action a few times and the tanks I have seen them in were difinitely good looking sps and softie tanks but I myself have never owned a SCWD but in this hobby reading is key there is all kind of good info out there just google it and you can find alot more info.As far as a skimmer goes what do you plan on keeping in this tank?

I have seen these in action a few times and the tanks I have seen them in were difinitely good looking sps and softie tanks but I myself have never owned a SCWD but in this hobby reading is key there is all kind of good info out there just google it and you can find alot more info.As far as a skimmer goes what do you plan on keeping in this tank?

Mainly LPS but I plan on SPS once the tank is more established. I'm not sure how my fish stocking plans are gonna go but I currently have 2 clown fish, 1 Bangai, and 1 YWG that will be moving in once it's cycled. I definitely plan on more fish though in the future. Unsure of how many though.

I would look into the SWC Xtreme 120 cone skimmer from reeffiltration.com I have the xtreme 160 on my 50g cube and it is a bad a$$ skimmer but im running a sps dominant system so low nutrients is a must but if your gonna have more lps than sps id go with the 120 model they are nice on the wallet and perform very well.

I would look into the SWC Xtreme 120 cone skimmer from reeffiltration.com I have the xtreme 160 on my 50g cube and it is a bad a$$ skimmer but im running a sps dominant system so low nutrients is a must but if your gonna have more lps than sps id go with the 120 model they are nice on the wallet and perform very well.

The Xtreme 160 looks real nice. Nutrient issues are what I believe I'm having for my 29 Gallon with my current skimmer (WON CU-125) in combination with phosphate issues from using tap water. I'll be using only RO/DI on my new tank and I know IMO have a very legit setup for the tank. I just need the skimmer, pumps and RO/DI unit. Any suggestions on that one?

I was wondering about the Xtreme 160 though. It says it operates ideally in 8-10" of water. Here is a pic of my new sump. The water level seems too low. That is the one problem with sumps I don't understand why the water levels are set where they are. On my eshopps sump for my 29 I run the water level quite a bit higher than it was designed for because it also houses a refugium with substrate and chaeto.

Here is a pic of the sump. Where should my water level be to house this skimmer?

DSCF3366.jpg

I'm going to plug that hole on the side btw because the sump is not going to be used like that. It's going to have a drain down from the top of the tank, a MAG-12 for the return, and the skimmer. Also the sump is way larger in real life than it appears in the pic. I'm unsure of how many gallons it is though.

For the skimmer I would go with the SWC Xtreme 120 cone, for the rodi I would check out airwaterice.com as they specialize in that area and have quality units(i myself own the extreme typhoon ) also good with prices.As far as phosphate problems you can get a phosban reactor for pretty cheap or go to bulkreefsupply.com and get there reactor for pretty cheap also.

Is the xtreme 120 cone the same as this one? http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/product...mp;categoryId=2

There is a 160 Cone and an xtreme 160 but there is no xtreme 120 listed. I was wondering if they are one in the same. Also is there a reason not to get the xtreme 160?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions but I just really want to do this tank right. I took too many shortcuts on my 29 and I don't plan on messing up again.

Archived