ReefCleaners.org

Banded and emerald

outpost

I just got a banded coral shrimp but I also have some hair an bubble algea. Would an emerald crab and a coral banded shrimp get along? If those two would get along do you think that either of them would mess with a star fish?

I've got a red mithrax crab (related to emeralds), a CBS, and a brittle and serpent star, they all get along fine. In fact, the CBS is only aggressive towards the peppermint shrimp - he's afraid of the goby and doesn't mess with the rest of the things. It's pretty entertaining to watch them all pile-on in a feeding frenzy, but somehow noone ever seems to get pinched.

My tank is a 29 AGA with plenty of rock work.

You are good to go, I have an emerald crab, red mithrax, coral banded and a star in a 29g Biocube and they all leave each other alone. There's no guarantee the emerald crab will eat what you want it to though. My emerald and red mithrax both prefer macro over the other algae I would like them to eat.

cheryl jordan

No problem, you will be luck to see the emerald if you have alot of LR. I like emeralds never had a problem with them, unlike peppermints, and sexy shrimp. -_-

I have a banded and 5 emeralds and havent had a problem with them getting along for 6 months so far.

I hate emerald crabs for real. It seems they are hit or miss though. Mine was a trouble maker who picked on smaller hermits and polyp corals. He also refused to eat bubble algae.

• 8 years later...
xxnoname223

I know this is a lot later, but in case anyone else besides op is having this problem: I have a 50gal tank with plenty of rock work. I have had an emerald for a few months but this isn't my first. In total, I have had about nine or ten I think? Usually only one at a time, there have been a few instances I have kept two together. There aren't two for long... I love these crabs a whole lot, however they are opportunistic. They are scavengers and members of the clean up crew. They will eat your algae unless there is something better for them (and easy for them to get to) such as a new shrimp. I have never had a problem with emeralds previous to recently. My most recent emerald cab so far has been perfect. He eats the algae and doesn't mess with fish or inverts. That is why when he was on top of my new cbs ripping him apart, I was shocked. My CBS was double the size of the crab (my crab is about an inch, the shrimp was two or three). Well, the CBS was healthy. I watched him in the pet store for a while before I decided to buy. I was told he would be fine with my little crab. I thought that maybe the shrimp was sick, but the shrimp was lively, extending his claws to any fish that bumped him. I know my emerald wasn't hungry because I spot fed him and because there was still a ton of algae. I couldn't believe it. These little stinkers can leap at any chance they get, but others have absolutely no interest in fish or inverts. I decided that this little guy better spend some time in the refugium because some of my fish sleep out in the open on the rock work, and I wouldn't want the crab to eat them as well. It is worth noting that this crab is the first I have ever housed with a CBS or really any shrimp. (except for a really tiny emerald and a peppermint, but they only stayed together for maybe a night or so). These little guys are individuals, but I do have a theory. All of my male emeralds tended to be more aggressive, and the wild caught ones from the pet store would be more prone to picking on hermits. So if you want to get an emerald, I would recommend a young tank raised female. You can tell the gender of a crab by flipping them on their back and looking at their carapace. To back up my claim, I just did a quick google search. The website said that these crabs are known for snacking on small fish. I don't see what would keep them from snacking on a shrimp or a sea star as well. If you decide to get the crab, I would observe it at night for a couple nights in a row, and periodically check up on it some nights as well after lights out. When I first got my baby clown to pair with my female, I had to do this because the emerald was looking interested in him and following him around. There were many times he lunged for the fish but he never caused damage. Like I said before, I love these crabs but before you get one you should know the risks as well. I wish whoever is trying to decide good luck, and I hope you enjoy your little crab (or if you don't get one, have safe and healthy fish). Hope this could help.

• Like 1