Coral Vue Hydros

Hey, what is this purple stick looking thing?

emerso21

I was hoping someone could tell me what this is--it's been on my rock for about a year, and hasn't really grown that I've noticed. There was another one somewhere, but I broke it off while moving my rocks around a while ago. It's kind of grayish purple and looks like a twig, and has a few polyp-y things on it that go in and out throughout the day.

Also, what kind of clam is that in the 3rd pic? Just out of curiosity.

Thanks!

post-51975-1270842901_thumb.jpg

post-51975-1270842908_thumb.jpg

post-51975-1270842915_thumb.jpg

Is the stick hard?

The clam is a turkey wing clam. Filter feeder.

Yeah, it's pretty hard, and kind of brittle, the one I accidentally broke made a snapping noise when it broke, I put it on the rock, but it disappeared after a bit.

The stick looking thing is a gorgonian. not a bad thing at all. Caribbean rock?

Possibly this one or something very similar.

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=99

Yup, he came from Florida. How can I make it grow? I don't have that much light, I have a lot more now than when I first got him, but it's still not as much as I would like.

Also, as we were talking about clams, I took some photos of 2 other ones, and was wondering what they were (they're nothing special, just filter feeders, but I'm still curious.)

Sorry if the pictures are crappy, I took them with my phone, my camera has a dead battery and I can't find the spare.

Edited to add: the clam in the 2nd pic isn't dead--he just hangs open like that sometimes.

Edited to add another thing--

What is the gastropod in the last 2 pics? Is it bad? He's been around a few months and hasn't really grown too much. I would just like to know if I need to flush him as he's out and easily seen right now.

He's white and about the size of, um...well, he's about 7mm long.

post-51975-1270845037_thumb.jpg

post-51975-1270845044_thumb.jpg

post-51975-1270848466_thumb.jpg

post-51975-1270848487_thumb.jpg

Well, if it is a gorgonian, most are non-photosynthetic. It will grow quickly if you feed it food for filter feeders.

Edit: I spoke too soon lol. I know that there are photosynthetic ones, but from what I hear they don't need strong light and still need to be feed a good amount

Most gorgonians available in the trade are photosynthetic. One way to tell is from the color of the polyps; brown is photosynthetic, white is not.

If it is photosynthetic and there isn't enough light, it will not grow. If you feed it that will help, but it will still need light.

Most gorgonians available in the trade are photosynthetic. One way to tell is from the color of the polyps; brown is photosynthetic, white is not.

If it is photosynthetic and there isn't enough light, it will not grow. If you feed it that will help, but it will still need light.

I wound up moving the rocks around and put it at the top of the tank, closer to the lights, and now the polyps are out all the time, so I guess it's a good thing, hopefully it will grow now.

Archived