inTank Media Baskets

Running hot!

19jeffro83

Got home today and notied my peppermint shrimp dieing. Pulled him out and noticed the temp at 86. My tank usually runs 79-81 ish. I'm scared everyone my kick the bucket. Most fearfull of my corals and my harliquin pair. What an I'd do besides open the lid on my biocube. And hope for the best. Is my tank doomed?

This just happened to me. I run my tank at about 78* and found it at 86. Everything looked okay, but I pointed my floor fan at it and left the lights off. It took 24 hours from finding it like that to bring it down in temp. I was afraid to do a large water change as I figured everything looked okay, and didn't want to shock the system with a quick, large swing.

This just happened to me. I run my tank at about 78* and found it at 86. Everything looked okay, but I pointed my floor fan at it and left the lights off. It took 24 hours from finding it like that to bring it down in temp. I was afraid to do a large water change as I figured everything looked okay, and didn't want to shock the system with a quick, large swing.

The thing is there's a lot of die off that you don't see. I had a big ammonia spike when I had a big temp spike. Either test your tank or do a water change fast.

Just di a two and Hal gallon water change, it's a biocube 14 so it's actualy more than twenty five percent. Got the temp to 83 and still have the hood up. Keep your fingers craoosed for me guys. Should I change another gallon or two tomorow as well?

Pray for my harlies they're my fav.

a few weeks ago I had a dinoflagellates problem so I draped a towel over the tank and turned my lights down to 4 hours per day. Well I didn't get home before the lights came on to take the towel off so all the heat from the hood was trapped. My tank was 91 degrees! Corals were pissed, my clown That I only had in the tank for 2 days died, and my hectors goby was on the sand gasping for breath. My stupid frogspawn pruning peppermint shrimp couldn't have been happier. he was frolicking about picking at the dead clownfish. I floated some ice in a ziplock a few times to bring it down over on hours period. Everything looks great now except some spots of coraline bleached.

So the shrimp was happy. Maybe it was just my peppermints time to go. My coral seems ok. My harliquin shimp are hiding and I only see one I threw a frozen linkia leg in and no action. Yes I feed them linkia it's there favorite.

Woke up to death in my tank today. A good number of Isopods spread around the sand bed. One of my bumble bees shrimp is barley moving and one of my harliquyns is MIA. Corals seem ok but still not happy about the losses. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I had a heater malfunction 3 months ago and it stayed on all day getting my tank to 89 degrees. I noticed it when I got home and put my hand in the tank to move a coral. It felt like a jacuzzi..

I decided not to do anything drastic and just turned off my lights and unplugged the heater and let it cool naturally. I monitored the temp throughout the night and it took about 8 hours for it to drop to it's normal 79 degrees. The next morning I did my normal 1-2 gallon water change and I didn't lose a coral, fish, shrimp, or hermit.. It was a scary experience because I've invested a lot of time, money, and heart into the tank...

The worst thing you could do is drastically cool your system because it'll shock everything. I thought about doing a water change with 78 degree water, but resisted the urge and let it cool itself... It was the best decision I made.. I hope this helps and sorry I wasn't able to post last night..

Good luck and I hope your little guys make it through..

My tank was only that hot for a few hours, so that could have played a part. At temperatures that high, I feel its better to bring it down to manageable temps quicker. Kinda like rescuing someone from heat stroke.

Reefer916 sounds like good advice. Fotunately my corals, and harliquyns both survived. And I did my best to clean all the pods dead on the ground. Did a water change last night and going to do another tomorow. Hopefully the die off won't cause a huge cycle.

My tank got that hot late in the afternoon for a few weeks last summer. My harley didn't even notice, but I think it's because all my guys are used to temp swings (and salinity swings, and every other sort you can think of).

Your shrimp will eat frozen linkia? Mine won't even eat freshly dead ones. If it's not trying to run away he's not interested :happy:

I live in the seriously hot desert with my 8 gal bio.

I found that the best way to keep the temps under wraps was to crack the lid open by placing something about 3/4" ( 18mm) thick about a quarter of the way back from the front of the display.

This usually keeps the temps safe. If it's really hot, I'll at a $5 fan pointed at the opening.

This REALLY speeds up your evap rate tho.

I bought jbj's c-breeze thing and it works wonders for my nano.

I didnt think it would work too good (2-3 degrees), so i left it on for 2 hours. When I came back it had dropped from 83 to 74! Now, I only put it on an hour a day midday and it keeps the temperature around 77!

I love it

Are you running with PC stock lights? maybe you should change your lighting schedule. Turn on the light from 5pm - 1am daily. It might help with the heat when you're at home to monitor it.

Archived