inTank Media Baskets

Favia pack from Mr.Coral

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

So from my Google-ing I've only found that the dendro is non-photosynthetic and the green favia is probably going to like the highest placement of them all.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232611

This is a link to the thread. Please, PLEASE. It proving difficult to find care info for most of them, I can barely find pictures of identical corals for most.

Please give me some info on either where to look, OR, if you're feeling generous your own personal care tips!

Please any and all info and suggestions are welcomed.

Mr Coral favia pack

All of those favia will have the same care. They like moderate lighting for the most part, but are one of the toughest LPS out there. They like being fed and the dendro requires a lot of feeding. What kind of lighting do you have?

danthenewreefman
All of those favia will have the same care. They like moderate lighting for the most part, but are one of the toughest LPS out there. They like being fed and the dendro requires a lot of feeding. What kind of lighting do you have?

4-36inch T5 lights in a 30g (freshwater style) tank. 36inch x 12 x 17inches deep So its pretty deep, I guesss? What do you think on placement, I've got lots of holes on the front of my rocks that probably wouldn't get a lot of light like it would ontop of the rocks and only 6-12 inches from the light?

What do you think about the green colored one, I've read that green favia generally like higher lights?

Quick important fact, I have two 10,000 white bulbs (75w) and two actinic blue bulbs (75w)

Usually things that are green need less light than things that are red, but I read that when I was first starting, could be bad info.

I know that all favias have *generally* the same care.

As for your tank, do you mean the tank is 17 deep as in depth or 17 as in the height, your wording confused me. I am assuming you mean 17 as the height, and 12 as the depth, for that I would place the favias maybe halfway up. Honestly I think they could do fine on the sand, but it is up to you.

start them on your sand bed and move them up slowly until they look happy :)

Do this first to acclimate them.

danthenewreefman
Usually things that are green need less light than things that are red, but I read that when I was first starting, could be bad info.

I know that all favias have *generally* the same care.

As for your tank, do you mean the tank is 17 deep as in depth or 17 as in the height, your wording confused me. I am assuming you mean 17 as the height, and 12 as the depth, for that I would place the favias maybe halfway up. Honestly I think they could do fine on the sand, but it is up to you.

Do this first to acclimate them.

Sorry sorry, 36long, 17inches deep and 12 front to back. My rocks (3 of them) are all like 12x12 so with no glass top and the lights only about a foot away, would that be too bright? Would y'all recommend a different bulb configuration? Instead of 2 actinic and 2 daylight?

Another note, my lights are seperate two tube systems. I can remove one? If needed.

Toughest, in that you mean Good choice by me or bad choice; tough to keep? THanks everyone!!!! I feel better now that I have a support team.

I love nano-reef!!! :-)

the coral is tough meaning that its easierish to take care of, so good choice i suppose. stick with your 4 bulbs, whenever you get new coral start them low and slowly move them up over the course of a few weeks

danthenewreefman
the coral is tough meaning that its easierish to take care of, so good choice i suppose. stick with your 4 bulbs, whenever you get new coral start them low and slowly move them up over the course of a few weeks

Good, lucky me I guess, but this hobby takes a little luck sometimes. I am a newb, but my tanks testing great.

I meant tough as in easy. The main reason they are easy is that they can tolerate higher nutrient levels than other LPS, other than that they are pretty similar to everything else.

danthenewreefman

I checked a book out from my schools library and it shows they really come out at night with sweepers and the internet was saying that too. Also they have potent stings and are "aggressive" with most reef spots containing favia only containg favia because they kill and out compete other coral genus.

What about the last "clove"?

Ive from limited research seen they are non-photosynthetic?

What about the colors dictating how much light they like (green more red more yellow corals less, etc...?)

Also I've read that if the color on the coral gets a lot brighter than it was on arrival, that is a sign its getting too much light?

Ask your seller what parameters it was placed before shipping to you, this gives you a general

idea where to start.

Good advise, thank you.

Archived