Top Shelf Aquatics

Feeding time! Winter storm/snow globe feeding. lol

Gigaah

Somewhere I mentioned to someone I'd post pictures of feeding time in my tank. I go for the "snow globe winter storm" style feeding each day. I also figured I'd circle and name the critters that made it into the photo.

1 cube mysis, 1 cube cyclops, 1 cube blood worms, 1 cube prime reef, 1 cube squid

55 gallon. Not a nano.

post-51880-1270763482_thumb.jpg

post-51880-1270763493_thumb.jpg

LebaneseDlight

Wow, that's a lot of food to be throwing in there :o. Doesn't look like you have an algae problem though, at least the one rock is OK. All that food for those small fish?

OClownsandNanos

You really do that daily? Holy cripes. I thought I was doing a lot by feeding 1/4 cube a day in my 45 gal. How many fish do you have in there and do you have a mega CUC? Could we see an FTS?

1/4 teaspoon of filter feeder formula makes my 15g look like that, almost. It is fun watching everyone go crazy.

CUC? FTS? Unfamiliar with those abberviations. Clarify and I'll gladly show you.

Tank stock:

1.5" clown goby

2" spotted mandarin

2" green mandarin

2" pj cardinal

4" dragon goby

2.5" fire fish

2.5" scooter blenny

2" scarlet clown

3" false clown

3" sandsifting star

2 2" snails

maybe a dozen nas snails

probably only 6 crabs left

3" anenomie

crap load of 1/4" anenomies(not bad ones)

pencil urchine

button polyps

bunch of feather dusters

smattering of tiny barnacles and other things I don't recall

thats what I got. Any questions?

You really do that daily? Holy cripes. I thought I was doing a lot by feeding 1/4 cube a day in my 45 gal. How many fish do you have in there and do you have a mega CUC? Could we see an FTS?
OClownsandNanos

FTS= full tank shot

CUC = cleanup crew

You answered my questions about the CUC and the fish, if you have a current photo of your entire tank that would be great. Thanks! Do you use a skimmer too?

FTS= full tank shot

CUC = cleanup crew

You answered my questions about the CUC and the fish, if you have a current photo of your entire tank that would be great. Thanks! Do you use a skimmer too?

two more

post-51880-1270766359_thumb.jpg

post-51880-1270766396_thumb.jpg

post-51880-1270766436_thumb.jpg

post-51880-1270766446_thumb.jpg

That is a food storm alright... I split one cube of frozen mysis between two tanks only twice a week (feed formula 2 or marine flake lightly the other days).

LebaneseDlight

Wow, your sand looks pretty brand spankin new! How old is the tank? Carry on with your bad self if you can manage all that food and still keep your params nice and clean.

Last two pics.

No skimmer. No mechanical filtration of any kind. and probably what would be labeled as a extreamly low level of live rock(the big long piece at the end was just added and is base rock). The rock with the hole in it is a fake rock but is taking on color now.

Tank born november 1st 2009.

My dragon gobi(sifter) and my sifting star keep the sand clean like new at all times.

I scrap the coraline off the glass all 4 walls and the rocks not taking on much color yet are newer base rocks.

post-51880-1270766517_thumb.jpg

post-51880-1270766530_thumb.jpg

Nice perams. How long have you been running this regimen? I'm surprised how little LR you have, and running ONLY bio filtration !

Even with that stock list I still stand by my 1st post "5 cubes per day --- eeeekkkkkk --- sounds more like a week or two's worth of food"

NaClCrocodile

Seems like trouble to me, but if it stays level, keep rockin' it. Fish do normally get hungry in the wild, just so you know lol.

I'll give a cookie to who can guess how my parameters look like that when I feed like that every day since the tank was born.

Scared to guess but --- Santa Monica :scarry:

Either that or 20% water change per day shortly after feeding time.

I'm not santa monica but your on the right track. you just godda spit it out. since you brought it up...

I never do water changes. but I do dose trace elements.

last picture since you kinda got it...but no cookie..since you didn't say it! lol

post-51880-1270767784_thumb.jpg

post-51880-1270767804_thumb.jpg

well I didn't think you were Santa Monica but I did get it right w/ the turf scrubber.

BTW -- I prefer double chocolate chip please ;)

And Yes I do get the cookie -- I had a good guess just called it Santa Monica instead of Turf Scrubber but we both know I guessed right --- come now give up on the cookie.

IBTL :lockdown:

In case anyone doesn't know, IBTL, is, in before the lock!

You troll much? Just wondering.

Don't feed that much and you don't need an algae turf scrubber.

IBTL :lockdown:

In case anyone doesn't know, IBTL, is, in before the lock!

You troll much? Just wondering.

Don't feed that much and you don't need an algae turf scrubber.

I'm certainly not trolling. and if for some reason that makes no sense the post gets locked I'll just leave and not come back. its no big deal to me.

Sure you don't need an algae scrubber. But since it was battered with interest I explained what was going on..albiet in an entertaining game show quiz fashion.

And the reason the algae grows in the scrubber but no where else is because optimum conditions are provided inside the scrubber growing massive quantities of algae. This large growth of algae consumes the nutrients down to a level where it cannot grow in less then optimum conditions(like in the main tank). basicly it completly eats up all the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate(along with a good list of other benefits) that I won't list so i'm not accused of trolling.

Thats basicly the short version of what it does. All my filter feeders, anenomies, and corals love my little duct tape and bubble gum algae scrubber.

Well here is my thoughts...................

You are easily feeding 10 - 20 times more food then the fish can consume. It's creating a lot of excess nutrients. Does the turf scrubber take care of the extra nutrients?? I'll give you that as I am willing to take what you post at face value. But --- who cares ?? --- your still way overfeeding your tank.

Is this tank/post a good experiment on how well a turf scrubber can remove a massive dose of excess nutrients?? --- YES

But look at the FTS picture -- it's not even close to a kick butt reef and for that matter it's not even close to a kick butt FOWLR -- but it is a kick butt Santa Monica experiment (read that as Turff Scrubber).

Sorry 5 cubes daily for that fish load is just not proper husbandry regardless of the filter system used.

Archived