ReefCleaners.org

Truth about Aquatraders.com

chucktdbm321

chucktdbm321

From reading many different forums and different post many people say aquatraders are junk and what not, however ive also heard for the price you cannot beat them and they are really not as near as bad as people make them out to be. Yes the magnetic ballast were bad but they have been replaced with new electronic ballasts and the whole horrors of sparks flying immediately as you plug them in has stopped. I feel many people bash this site without any knowledge whatsoever with the products they just repeat what their friends say. I'd like to know opinions on their t5 HO lighting from people who currently own them or had one.

chucktdbm321

id like to try the 4x24 t5HO but im worried from all the stories i have heard about the quality and eveything does anybody have actual experience with this fixture

I've been using the 4x24 t5ho on my 15 gallon for over 6 months now and so far I have nothing bad to say about it. The bulbs that it comes with are not the greatest so that was the first thing i bought for it was quality bulbs. I Have since switched the 15 over to a 150w metal halide from fish need it and the t5ho is now on my 10g frag tank and its doing just fine, nothing has ever gone wrong with the fixture since i owned it.

I have not bought anything from them, and just like you I have heard great and also bad things.

I was about to give them a try and order a MH fixture but have decided to go LED instead so I won't be ordering from them.

Another place you might want to check out is FishNeedIt.com

They also have cheap fixtures, and I have heard some great things about their halide fixtures so I would imagine their T5HO is decent too.

I've been using the 4x24 t5ho on my 15 gallon for over 6 months now and so far I have nothing bad to say about it. The bulbs that it comes with are not the greatest so that was the first thing i bought for it was quality bulbs. I Have since switched the 15 over to a 150w metal halide from fish need it and the t5ho is now on my 10g frag tank and its doing just fine, nothing has ever gone wrong with the fixture since i owned it.

Beat me by 2 minutes. +2 on FishNeedit

I've had a 4x54W T5 fixture on my 55 gallon for close to a year already

Its doing great, holding up good

I have soft corals and they are doing great.

pismo_reefer
id like to try the 4x24 t5HO but im worried from all the stories i have heard about the quality and eveything does anybody have actual experience with this fixture

I have the one witht the built in timers....

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Pop open the outer case and check the wiring on ANYTHING you get from aquatraders/odyssea/jebo.

Theyve been known to "cutcorners" on wiring.

I have owned these aquatraders/odyssea fixtures with NO problems (wiring or otherwise):

2x24w T5HO

4x24w T5HO

150w MH+ Ballast (all wiring was perfect and up to spec)

I dont have a single complaint about any of the fixtures.... :happy:\

EDIT: In fact, my 150w Odyssea MH ballast runs quieter than my buddies hamilton. ;)

chucktdbm321

wow thanks guys thats great news to hear! and i know they do not have indiv. reflectors but i think i could make some make shift reflector or buy some parabolic reflectors from a DIY retrofit kit so maybe ill have to get one cause 70 dollars for a light is not passable haha

chucktdbm321

yea i have looked at them and heard good things about fishneedit fixtures its just that there 24" t5HO fixture is currently being remodeled so its not available right now hopefully its ready by the time im done with this semester

my experience is with the 2x250w halide 4xt5ho 48"light. both the t5 and halides underpowered. total t5 draw should be at least 216w (4x54w) but its 112w. its only actinics so it doesnt matter on a halide. run the same 2 ballasts on a 4x t5ho light coupled with less than worthless reflectors and you have a problem.

get a kill-o-watt or another wattage meter and see how your t5 fixture measures up to my readings. if its as low as mine were its not worth even replacing the crappy ballasts. good news it has not started on fire yet. bad news im into it for 2 icecap ballasts for the halides and 2 more workhorse ballasts for the t5's. not quite the bargen anymore.

long story short dont waste your money, do a retrofit from the beginning same price much better performance.

chucktdbm321

yea im not liking the reflector for the aquatraders light its just one big one which is basically no better than pc from my understanding and it sounds like i should immediatly replace their bulbs with some better quality ones... but still they are only 69 dollars

I've heard they have upgraded the equipment they sale. The older stuff wasn't terrible the MH ballasts neede to be replaced and the wiring was not great but for the money it's a good start.

Just get a good quality 2x24... same price and won't be chinsey. There are even some you can hook together for a 4x if you later find it necessary

I have not bought that lighting fixture, but this is were i bought my tank from and its doing great! I go there every once in a while when i need some fish or anything like that and they are the cheapest place you will ever come across. In person they are really nice and will always be willing to give discounts and cut prices if they remember you! I have been buying from aquatraders for about 4 YEARS now and i have no complaints yet!!!

i bought a 4x24 with a self timer and individual reflectors on ebay for 90 shipped, I ended up replacing all the bulb within 2 weeks (saw algae growth almost immediately). so i bought 3 ati and a fiji purple, +95. My tank has been doing great with the light, i have sps, lps, and softies. But as mentioned but someone earlier, I feel like the ballast isn't working to the bulbs full potential but I don't have a kill-a-watt meter to document it.

If i was to spend on a different fixture with a self timer (moonlight, actinic, and daylight) i think it would probably be atleast 250, correct me if i'm wrong.

Grendel0501

I have the 1x250w + 2x96w pc fixture.

Its my first fixture so I don't have alot to compare it to , but I like it , for the money its alot of light.

The ballasts are underpowered. The 96 watt pc ballasts only make 70ish and the 250w ballast only makes 180w. Even so , the fixture + replacing the ballast and bulbs , is still cheaper than buying a name brand unit.

I got the cheapo 72 Watt PC ficture and it's been great. You need to replace the bulbs for sure but not immediately as the ones in it will work until you can afford better ones. Only complaint is one power cable.

chucktdbm321

once again thanks for the replies from what i hear the updated fixtures are great for the price and im not sure exactly which fixture yet but i will also be replacing their bulbs

I have the 1x250w + 2x96w pc fixture.

Its my first fixture so I don't have alot to compare it to , but I like it , for the money its alot of light.

The ballasts are underpowered. The 96 watt pc ballasts only make 70ish and the 250w ballast only makes 180w. Even so , the fixture + replacing the ballast and bulbs , is still cheaper than buying a name brand unit.

did you read the link from reefcentral.com that i posted? The guy used a watt meter and he said that the new improved ballasts were actually alot better then he thought and his 250w was at 271w!

Grendel0501

Looks like they changed the ballasts about 3-4 months after I bought mine , I might order a new 250w ballast from them for $50.

Ill vouch for the Odyssea/Aquatrader fixtures. They are actually pretty decent fixtures. Mine has been working great! Very quiet and well built! I also have a Coralife Aqualight and they are almost exactly the same light. Very very similar!

I think they are an awesome brand for anyone wanting a budget light.

I will have to agree most of you all that the lights are too great. I had the factory lights in mine for about 2-3 month with good growth still.

I just recently upgraded to Current USA Sunpaq bulbs. World of difference in colors in the tank!

I did keep the Odyssea bulbs as spares though lol.

chucktdbm321

so right now i just have 20" 2X40W Current usa pc light fixture and im thinking of going to a 15gal L with the 24" 4x24w i think it will look very nice and the price is actually affordable

Archived