Cultivated Reef

Filtration Poll

Markushka

Carbon?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are you running carbon?

• Run carbon or equivalent all the time!
    • Run carbon or equivalent sometimes.
    • Don't run any carbon or equivalents.
  2. 2. What are you using?

• Plain ol' carbon
    • Chemipure
    • Pureigen
    • Other
    • None

I'm interested to see what everyones thoughts are about carbon.

What do you use?

Why do you use it (or dont)?

What do you have in your tank, and how is it doing?

and anything else you might want to add :)

thanks i've used search already (i'm not new here). I know what carbon, chemipure, and all that does. I want to see what other NR users are doing now and this is why it's in the general discussion forum. I'm not looking for the best media, I run carbon and don't plan on buying chemipure or purigen. I'd like to know what effect (if any) others notice with their coral.

For christmas Stevie you should ask santa for a big read SEARCH button. Just like the one at staples that say "That was Easy"

I'm sure it would make your day.

Run both ChemiPure Elite and Purigen in the BRS Reactor. I can't quantify exactly what it's doing but I've never had anything die and my algae problems are next to nil.

Matrix carbon requires less carbon to run than chemipure-elite does. The chemipure took up almost my whole back chamber. I dont notice any difference on the tank either. I kinda think that the chemipure elite is kindof a fad...

from what I understand, Chemipure and Purigen are both just glorified carbon...

I just started using carbon in my tank after I lost a small nem, and now I'm seeing polyp extension from my sps frags again. I now see that everyone so far runs some sort of carbon media regularly, guess I should start doing so too.

Anyone not run carbon?

from what I understand, Chemipure and Purigen are both just glorified carbon...

Purigen is not carbon at all... it's more a sponge that sucks crappage out of the water where carbon does more to polish the water. I use them both sometimes. But always run some kind of carbon.

My tank is only 4 months old, so how much my input matters............we'll see. I run both Purigen (middle of media rack) and Chemi-pure elite (bottom chamber) with filter floss on top. My water is very clear, parameters are on and my mortality rate so far is zero. It's only about $20 every 4-6 months (just replaced today) if you choose to replace rather than recharge.

Im using ChemiPure and PolyFilter Pads. Both pull whatever crap is in the water, while the Poly also acts as mechanical filtration and the Chemi polishes the water to a sparkling gleam. Pretty satisfied with it.

For christmas Stevie you should ask santa for a big read SEARCH button. Just like the one at staples that say "That was Easy"

I'm sure it would make your day.

im waiting for the say people stop being rude on message boards, we are all here for a hobby and share experiences and learn. I dont know one person that would sign up for this site just to be rude.

that is the main reason i dont go on saltwaterfish.com because of how rude some people can be.

You were clearly just asking a question about what everyone uses and taking a poll. Not asking a question that can be looked up on search.

to answer your question I run purigen, chemipure, cheato, and the carbon that comes with the biocube havent had a problem yet.

Archived