Cultivated Reef

New tank. Few questions.

kev24k

I used to have a 90 gallon years ago with a wetdry. I sold that tank years ago, and now that I have a home and family I want to add a small tank for my kids. Here is my plan:

20x18x30. 47 gallon. I know its a tall tank and maintenance and light penetration will be an issue, but I love these dimensions.

I only want two clown fish. That is all. I want to keep this very simple.

This is where I'm sort of hesitant. I want to do this with only a mp20, led lights, and a heater. No sump, skimmer or mechanical filtration. My filtration will be biological (live rock and sand) and water changes. If this alone wont keep my nitrates down I will put a hob refugium for chaeto. Will this work?

I also want to keep zoas and maybe a frogspawn. That is all. I am looking at the light req of these and it seems like I can use maxspect 110w and be ok. Am I right on this?

My biggest concerns are; water flow, oxygenation of the water, and my bioload. Opinions?

You can absolutely run a tank like that with just water changes. It is important that you are consistent in doing them, and that you make a conscious effort not to overfeed.

As for the light I am not familiar with that specific model, you have a link to it?

Zoas and a spawn will be fine in low-light for the most part but you make want a little more kick than that out of your fixture. Who knows what other cool corals you may see in the future that catch your eye.

The best information on the light fixture I've found is here: http://sfvreefers.proboards.com/index.cgi?...y&thread=34

This is the light I'm looking at:

110w - uses only 3w LED, ideal for shallow tanks 18-24" wide

Recommended for tanks within 20" tall.

0" 900-1100 PAR

3" 500-600 PAR

10" 200-300 PAR

20" 100-150 PAR

Based on this the light will be pretty weak at the bottom of the tank. I'm not too concerned as I will just place low light corals down there.

lakshwadeep

Biological filtration alone is fine. For your fixture, try doing a search and visiting the lighting forum to learn about different LED systems.

Archived