ReefCleaners.org

Feeding corals with a skimmer

AFRobert568

AFRobert568

I know that I’m supposed to turn off all filtration when I feed my oyster-feast, but do I unplug my protein skimmer. When researching about how long it takes a skimmer to “break in” I’m wondering if every time I turn off my skimmer that it takes a few days to reach its optimal efficiency. What if I only turned off the air supply? No bubbles would take away its ability to “skim”. Is this correct? Thanks Rob

If the skimmer is HOB/HOT then turn off. if not leave on. Skimmers do not lose efficiency when turned off. Once broken in , well they're broken in (unless you clean them). I would not recommend closing the air valve, because it puts strain on the skimmer pump.

Btw. HOB/HOT (hang on back/ Hang on tank.

AFRobert568

Thanks for the info. It is a HOB Bac pak protein skimmer. I guess I will just keep doing what I have been doing.

how so?

Its pushing air non stop into a blocked tube.

The reason you wanna turn your powerheads off ect when you feed is so that u can place the food on ur corals mouth...

Unless your bacpak skimmer is making a large amount of current (mine dosent) then you wouldnt wanna turn it off.

I leave my filters on, and only turn my powerheads off, since my filter dosent push the food off the mouth of the coral.

how so?

Because you bog down the needle wheel and makes the pump overheat. Overtime this will cause the magnets to swell and the needles to break off due to the needle wheel bouncing. And I doubt that your skimmer has high gph to upset the feeding.

Because you bog down the needle wheel and makes the pump overheat. Overtime this will cause the magnets to swell and the needles to break off due to the needle wheel bouncing. And I doubt that your skimmer has high gph to upset the feeding.

I don't thinks so.The air line in question is used for drawing air into the impeller. Actually this could be worst because of cavitation on the impeller.

Archived