Top Shelf Aquatics

Heater in HOB

MilkWeed18

I just set up my first 10 Gal Saltwater tank today. :D Is it ok to put a heater inside of the hob ?. I just dont want alot of equipment inside of my tank. Will it burn the plastic or be ok. It is a whisper hob from walmart. I had it in my 55 Gal cichlid tank, and all it has is carbon. I just use it for circulation. Also whats better a digital thermometer or the ones with mercury inside. Thanks

smokey_the_bear

i have an AC30 and have a my 50watt heater in it, works fine keeps it at a steady 78.2-78.9

edit- corallife has some and im sure you could find one easy at petco or your LFS. theyre like 8 bucks i think? i dont know ive had mine for a long time tho

smokey_the_bear

sweet goodluck!! oh btw make sure you dont have a shelf above your tank, mine fell and just cracked my new 10 gallon bigtime, haha so everythins back in my 5.5...greeeaaat

It won't do as good of a job heating the whole tank because it's in a less efficient location, and if your filter pump stops then you essentially have no heater access from the display, but it can do the job. Any heater with dry running protection would definitely not damage the plastic, but so long as it's under 100W there's really no real risk. It takes a lot of heat to let it damage something with the thermal mass of the water going by it.

A good digital thermometer is better because it's easier to read, but at the very low end a regular thermometer is probably a bit more accurate. Accurate to 1 degree is as close as your heater will get, there's not much of a point in needing more and any cheap thermometer will do that. I have a couple of the stick on LCD type thermometers just because they don't take up any tank space.

Archived