Cultivated Reef

Advise on Lights for a 58G

johnyens

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of setting up a new 58G RR Oceanic tank with a Aqueon Model 2 sump. I need to get some lights for this baby!

I would like to keep softies, LPS and maybe some SPS or possibly a clam later down the line.

I am a noob just to get that out of the way.

The tank is 36'' long. I think a MH and T5 combo would be ideal except for the fact that I think I would need a chiller then. I was also thinking of a Tek 6 bulb T5 fixture but then there are no LED moon lights which I would really like to have.

I was also wondering about covering the tank with either a glass or other material cover or possibly a canopy of some sort but I am not sure how this affects my lighting. Does the canopy just go over top of my lights and do the lights still work with a glass top?

Any help or ideas are always greatly appreciated.

For more info please check out my tank thread below.

Thank you! :D

You can mount most lights in a canopy. It gives the light some breathing room. Aquaticlife makes very good lights. I would stay away from Current USA lights due to faulty ballasts. You would probably need a chiller for MH lights and T5. fI your going to go with clams and sps I would use the MH with T5 (300 watt range is about right).

You can buy acrylic 1/4 inch sheet at hardware store and trim so that the sheet rests on the inner edges of the top frame. And trim out overflow area and return area. You can also cut out a lid (for feeding) and use stainless steel hinges and screws.

I have a 56g 36"l x 18w x 20h and I am using a Tek T5 6 x39w and it is plenty of light. My SPS are happy, as are my lps and zoas. Xenia is happy with the light and I have a crocea clam that likes to stay on th bottom of the tank as apposed to anything higher up. I find it to be a great light.

I have a 56g 36"l x 18w x 20h and I am using a Tek T5 6 x39w and it is plenty of light. My SPS are happy, as are my lps and zoas. Xenia is happy with the light and I have a crocea clam that likes to stay on th bottom of the tank as apposed to anything higher up. I find it to be a great light.

Great thanks guys!

I have been looking online for a place to get the AquaticLife 6 lamp t5 fixture in Canada. I found it on Big Al's but its $699!!! if I go to their site for the US its $399. Thats BS! :o

I looked elseware and found it at Marinedepot.com for $469.99 but they want $100 to ship it to Canada.

That just seems like way to much. I really dont mind paying ~$400 like America pays but a $300 markup just because I live 45 minutes outside of the US seems crazy! :angry:

Does anyone know anywhere to get this product in Canada at a normal price?

I really like the looks of the fixutre and it seems to have everything I want including the timer and LEDs! I would have purchased it already if I could find a place that was resonable to get it from.

The kicker is Marinedepot.com would ship it UPS and I bet money they would charge me border tax to pick it up after the $100 shipping :bling: and on top of that I am a US citizen on a work permit in Canada!

I dont mind spending money on a good product but not just because I dont live in the US.

I will try and call Big Al's tomorrow and see if they can do anything since they are located in this country I believe.

Thanks for any other suggestions!

Ask your local LFS to order you one or find a nearby (driving distance) US LFS and have them order you one. Aquaticlife does make some nice lights. The times are great too.

Ask your local LFS to order you one or find a nearby (driving distance) US LFS and have them order you one. Aquaticlife does make some nice lights. The times are great too.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions!

I have ordered a AquaticLife 6x39w T5! It should be here next week! This lights has great reviews and seems like its going to be awesome! I cant wait! omgomgomg

I was able to get Big Al's to price match another vender and get it for a decent price.

Archived