Cultivated Reef

Finnex 4 g or JBJ 3 g

Bill Nye

haha ok so ive been doing some looking around on tanks and am wondering if 3 g is going to be too small. Id like a 5 gal tank (after seeing paris hiltons tank...love that thing) but I can only find aga with the ugly black trim and would prefer none of that uglying up my tank. Anyone have any comments on the finnex 4 g?? Another reason id prefer the jbj or finnex is it comes with a light I can use on my modded AC 70 for some cheato.

Im also wondering how high a 70 w MH should hang above a tank of this size? I dont want to melt everything in there with super extreme light/temps.

I'm thinking about 5 feet should do! :lol: Seriously you will have heat issues with a 70 watt halide over a 3 gal unless you have ac in the room. If that's the case then go for it!

I just got my JBJ this morning, it is beautiful.

What kind of corals are you trying to keep?

My last go with the 7 gal minibow I did lps zoos and mushrooms mostly. This time around I want to go all out and keep SPS.

To person who says 5 feet LOL! I was reading that 70 w MH could work on a pico. The reason I want to go with this is I already have the MH sitting around my house. I also have a PC retrofit kit...not sure the wattage on it its been a while since I bought that sucka .

Im thinking of going with a 5 gal (or maybe reusing my minibow which i really dont want to do cause that tank bothers me for some reason lol) so I can use the 70 w MH since it will probably be overkill on a 3 g and I dont want to spend the big bucks and buy a chiller.

edit

The room my tank would be in is the basement. My basement is always very cool even in the summer.

double edit

just went and dug the retrofit PC kit out of storage...its a 28 watt Coralife

I'm sure the MH would work, I would have a chiller on the tank though. I don't know much about SPS, I'm more into softies, but I think a 28watt coralife will work for them on a 3 or 4 gallon tank.

I'm sure the MH would work, I would have a chiller on the tank though. I don't know much about SPS, I'm more into softies, but I think a 28watt coralife will work for them on a 3 or 4 gallon tank.

Blah chillers are so freaking expensive. Cheapest one Ive seen is like 300 bucks for a 1/15. I really love the way MH looks and would be sad to go back to using PC retrofit but ya gotta do what you gotta do haha.

Archived