Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Whats on my zoa rock and how bout this ricordea...pics

Genesis

What is growing on my small frag of zoas? Thought it might be a tunicate, but I am basically a newbie. Whatever it is, is it a threat to my zoas and if so what can I do?

This ricordea I received approx 2 mos ago with 5 other. The other 5 are variations of green and blue but this one came as gray (shipped to me as random colors), but has since turned more white. I kept it on the bottom of my tank until about a week ago and finally decided to move it up about midway, no change in color. It is in a 10 gal with 40 watt PC's???

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Genesis

post-48568-1270506068_thumb.jpg

post-48568-1270506087_thumb.jpg

The thing on your zoanthids is a sponge, and the ric is bleached from either too much light or stress. If the rest look the same and you've had them for a little while it's probably just stress, for some reason some rics just stress and bleach sometimes.

The thing on your zoanthids is a sponge, and the ric is bleached from either too much light or stress. If the rest look the same and you've had them for a little while it's probably just stress, for some reason some rics just stress and bleach sometimes.

I received 6 in total and the other 5 are fine, all shades of blue and green. Is there anything I can do for it? It definitely did not get too much light, bottom of my tank for approx 5 weeks under 40 watt pc's.

Usually if you let them just sit around for a few months they'll be fine, I wouldn't stress on it though.

That is great news. I knew it wasn't suppose to be that color, but I didn't think it was a goner. I have no problem waiting.

Thanks for the input.

Do sponges have those tube like things protruding out of them? If it is a sponge, will it kill off the zoa's? and is there anything I can do about it?

Thank you.

Do sponges have those tube like things protruding out of them? If it is a sponge, will it kill off the zoa's? and is there anything I can do about it?

Thank you.

It's a sponge, it cannot kill your zoas unless it physically smothers them, and if you want you can try to pull it off, but I think it's a neat color. A lot of critters can eat sponges and unless you're suspension feeding your tank, it may just starve.

You get the rics from sealifeinc? I've got one of those blue/green/gray ones that I got from them and I think that's just the normal color for it. Mine looks healthy and hasn't really changed shade at all in the more than a month i've had it. Personally I think it's both an interesting and unusual color for a 'coral' in the tank - you get lots of colors but not many that look like that when healthy.

I have the exact same sponge in my tank. I love it, such a bright green color. It's never overgrown any corals, but I haven't seen it grow right next to any like that. I used to have a piece of branch with giant dome shaped colonies of that sponge growing between the branches. Some these got pretty much zero light and still grew well. I seeded my new tank with a tiny one that I keep in my fuge under 18w of PC and it's popping up in my display now.

Seeing how in one pic you seem to have zoas growing on/out of it, I think you're ok, just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't start to smother anything.

Archived