Pod Your Reef

Strange Animal ID - Possibly a Nudibranch?

peterchann86

peterchann86

Can someone please tell me what this is? It came out nowhere and was hanging on my blue anthelia rock. Is it a good or bad thing in my 10g nano reef. Thanks in advance.

v5lj81.jpg

Sorry for crappy iPhone pic.

peterchann86

There is one aiptasia in my tank that my peppermint shrimp havent done anything about yet. But what should I do with this nudibranch? is it beneficial? Or is it a nuisance?

There is one aiptasia in my tank that my peppermint shrimp havent done anything about yet. But what should I do with this nudibranch? is it beneficial? Or is it a nuisance?

Thats extremely hard to say honestly. Have you noticed any coral damage in the tank?

peterchann86

No I havent seen any damage but my tank is fairly young so I can't tell if there was any damage at all. The nudibranch was originally hanging by the blue anthelia in the morning but then tonight i found it on the back wall of my tank so then i decided to take it out. Ive read that they eat aiptasia and only aiptasia, and if Berghia nudibranch is the definite positive ID then maybe i should throw it back into the tank?

No I havent seen any damage but my tank is fairly young so I can't tell if there was any damage at all. The nudibranch was originally hanging by the blue anthelia in the morning but then tonight i found it on the back wall of my tank so then i decided to take it out. Ive read that they eat aiptasia and only aiptasia, and if Berghia nudibranch is the definite positive ID then maybe i should throw it back into the tank?

Please dont take my word on that it is 100% a berghia, theres tons of species of nudibranchs and sea slugs. While it looks like one to me, i wont be the one to say put it back and it be a pest. I would throughly research other species that look similar or wait for a few more opinions.

There are nudibranchs that eat a wide range of things including corals and anemones.

peterchann86

Hmmmm... is there anyone else that could possibly give a positive ID? or any methods to determine if its a berghia or not?

cheryl jordan

Nudibranch/Sea slugs, are hard to ID secondary to what nemmy said. There are alot of nudibranchs that eat both LPS and SPS, and reproduce rapidly in a tank. I would get rid of it ASAP, while very cool not worth the risk. If it is not a coral eating nudibranch is will mostly likely die soon anyway as they are very specific eaters. JMO though.

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/nudibranch.html

Might help with the id, good luck.

lakshwadeep

It doesn't look like the berghias I had. It's probably a predator of the anthelia. Nudibranch hitchhikers on corals should always be watched carefully since they rarely can survive for long without their host. They are one of the few hitchhikers that I think are safe to remove without a specific ID.

peterchann86

Thanks a lot guys. The people

at berghia.net helped me

decide which type of nudibranch it was. It happened to look more like a Spurilla neapolitana and they suggested that I remove it and so I did. Thanks to everyone that helped, this forum seems to be the savior of my reef.

Thanks a lot guys. The people

at berghia.net helped me

decide which type of nudibranch it was. It happened to look more like a Spurilla neapolitana and they suggested that I remove it and so I did. Thanks to everyone that helped, this forum seems to be the savior of my reef.

That's awesome that they were able to help. Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for more. A night time stalking session may be in order. (insert ninja emoticon here lol)

Archived