Innovative Marine Aquariums

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

Going to do a take two on this one, if we can keep it free of personal attacks this time that would be awesome :)

Both frags are going to a buddy of mine to color them up, but if anyone I know and trust (please read that again) has a good t5's fixture let me know and I'll cut you a free frag to color up. Only people I know please, no randoms.

So to get to the point, I see at least 4-6 colonies every two months with about 60+ polyps each on them. Half the time they don't come in colored up, so I took two frags from the brownest colony I could find to show the coloring up process. Anyone that's either ripping off reefers, been ripped off on these, or friends with one of the above will argue to the death that they aren't the "true" ones, so in advance I won't be responding to you, and let me commend you for letting your need to rip people off push you into living in denial.

Here's a pic from the nano reef gallery of a real red hornet, in order to kind of give a comparison.

red_hornet_008.JPG

and the colored up picture with the LE superglue that also colors up

fallfrag09_056.JPG

Here's day one of my colony

post-14867-1270399479_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1270399519_thumb.jpg

And week two under some old, crappy halides, same zoanthids.

post-14867-1270399598_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1270399606_thumb.jpg

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I should spam you with PMs until you send me the colony correct? Then once I get it, color them up and sell for 100$ pp, yes!

:P

i bet these would color up really fast under t5s.

I would love to find someone I know that's got t5's to color them up, but I can't remember which people have t5's. That would be my preferred lighting to color them up under...

On that note I've gotten a ton of pm's from people I don't know wanting to color them up, to clear it up the reason that it's gotta be someone I know is that I want to make sure they go to someone objective and not affiliated with making or losing money no matter how they color up. For me this is just an experiment, so I need to know that they're going to someone equally uninterested.

So did people pick some up already?

Who should we look out for updates from?

I'm dropping them off at a friend's house later on this week, at which point he'll be deep in the color-upper witness protection program :happy:

Like I said though still looking for someone with t5's.

Like I said though still looking for someone with t5's.

I got T5 but you have to pay for shipping LOL!

I'm not a risk taker.

bluenassarius

you should find someone with a established and stable tank for your experiment. they may not color up if the conditions are not stable.

you should find someone with a established and stable tank for your experiment. they may not color up if the conditions are not stable.

You're tank is established and has T5s...

I would go with Sam^ if you don't already have someone.

bluenassarius
You're tank is established and has T5s...

I would go with Sam^ if you don't already have someone.

i'm not a big zoa guy. i'll pass lol, i have more than i can handle atm

I would take them, but you don't know me that well and I'm in the other side of the country...

I bet those zoas will color up nicely. I had some brown on brown zoas that turned out to be seafoam with gold skirts :) These definitely look they could be red hornets.

Right now they don't match up with the red hornets. You're better off waiting for the second group of zoas you posted to color up first before trying to compare them. The first group of zoas you posted though aren't even close to looking like red hornets. Of course if they don't have alternating skirts then this thread is pointless.

I bet those zoas will color up nicely. I had some brown on brown zoas that turned out to be seafoam with gold skirts :) These definitely look they could be red hornets.

I love that quote in your sig, who's it from?

You're better off waiting for the second group of zoas you posted to color up first before trying to compare them. The first group of zoas you posted though aren't even close to looking like red hornets.

lol, fail.

So i'm actually curious is this a wild colony? (might be obvious IDK)

Yup, wild from the solomon islands. A lot of the nicer zoanthids in the hobby actually come from there, very cool area :)

Right now they don't match up with the red hornets. You're better off waiting for the second group of zoas you posted to color up first before trying to compare them. The first group of zoas you posted though aren't even close to looking like red hornets. Of course if they don't have alternating skirts then this thread is pointless.

Lets see an example of a real red hornet then

Lets see an example of a real red hornet then

There's a real red hornet coloring up process in the first two thumbnail pics for comparison, and they're the true ones from a legit source, no need to go searching for one :)

The first group of zoas you posted though aren't even close to looking like red hornets.

I know those are. im asking him ^^

I picked these up about a month ago $10 frag, they are on the bottom of my solana under a 20" Nova Pro. They are only 18W a piece 3 10k 3 460nm. ( not the best bulbs I know ) I will frag off a small piece, give them some light and see what happens...

solana-265.jpg

Thanks for posting this information, will be interesting to see what happens...

Organism what do you think about these guys? I know it is a bad picture (and old) but you get the idea. This frag now has about 100 polyps and they have turned more red, but really, really started to fluoresce a gold sheen.

IMG00063-20091104-0050.jpg

I moved the colony up under the lights more (250w MH, 10k bulb/T-5 Supplementation, actinic bulbs) so I guess we will see what happens.

These sure look a lot like the ones you show.

Not here for controversy just wanted to see what you think!!

Archived