Jump to content
Top Shelf Aquatics

Cleaning a used rubbermaid stock tank....


nanoty

Recommended Posts

So I'm setting up my clownfish breeding setup using a rubbermaid stock tank as a refugium. I was going to purchase a new one but realized today that my grandmother has one at her old house (was destroyed by hurricane Ike) that she was using as a filter for her koi pond. I believe it is 150g like the one I wanted to use and since the house is gone there is no use for it.

 

Just curious on what everyone thought about cleaning it up and using it for the clownfish setup. If you think it could be used what would you use and how would you clean it?

Link to comment
smokey_the_bear

i was goin to use on of these for a sump on my old tank, but i ended up gettin a 10g aga, i dont see what could be wrong i mean unless the plastic is toxic (doubtful) but i'd say go for it sounds cool, for cleaning id use a sponge by hand but if you dont mind little scratches im sure a mag-float would do it. umm and mabey a octopus skimmer? idk its your tank use your imagination lol :P

 

edit- im stupid, you mean clean it from what it is :slap:

Link to comment

I would see if copper was used in it at any point. Or you could fill it, get a little flow and after a week see if the water tests for copper. Other than that, vinegar and bleach are awesome for cleaning just about anything, just rinse it well. Since it was used for fish, you're pretty safe, copper is generally the main concern there.

 

edit: err, the issue with copper is only really for inverts (though you might want to look into if it would effect breeding/fry), fish only it's not nearly as toxic.

Link to comment
i was goin to use on of these for a sump on my old tank, but i ended up gettin a 10g aga, i dont see what could be wrong i mean unless the plastic is toxic (doubtful) but i'd say go for it sounds cool, for cleaning id use a sponge by hand but if you dont mind little scratches im sure a mag-float would do it. umm and mabey a octopus skimmer? idk its your tank use your imagination lol :P

 

edit- im stupid, you mean clean it from what it is :slap:

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here.

 

I would see if copper was used in it at any point. Or you could fill it, get a little flow and after a week see if the water tests for copper. Other than that, vinegar and bleach are awesome for cleaning just about anything, just rinse it well. Since it was used for fish, you're pretty safe, copper is generally the main concern there.

 

edit: err, the issue with copper is only really for inverts (though you might want to look into if it would effect breeding/fry), fish only it's not nearly as toxic.

I am almost certain that there was some sort of copper treatment used in it at some point. That being said I don't see any reason for keeping inverts in the system (except for the rotifers). I don't believe copper is a problem for fry but I will have to check into that.

 

bleach.

I've never used bleach to clean anything aquarium related. Is there a certain concentration I should use ot does it really matter if it's cleaned properly?

Link to comment

I'd do 70% bleach 40% water. As stated make sure to rinse extremely well. You can even follow that up with vinegar and really hot water and let sit a couple hours then rinse again.

Link to comment
I'd do 70% bleach 40% water. As stated make sure to rinse extremely well. You can even follow that up with vinegar and really hot water and let sit a couple hours then rinse again.

How the hell do you do 70/40?

 

Lol

Link to comment

7 cups bleach, 4 dups water.

7 quarts bleach, 4 quarts water.

7 gallons bleach, 4 gallons water.

7 hundred gallons bleach, 4 hundred gallons water.

7 swimming pools of bleach, 4 swimming pools of water.

 

etc. etc. etc. ;)

Link to comment
Marc.The.Shark
7 cups bleach, 4 dups water.

7 quarts bleach, 4 quarts water.

7 gallons bleach, 4 gallons water.

7 hundred gallons bleach, 4 hundred gallons water.

7 swimming pools of bleach, 4 swimming pools of water.

 

etc. etc. etc. ;)

 

 

LOLOL....Now that's funny!!!!

Link to comment
7 cups bleach, 4 dups water.

7 quarts bleach, 4 quarts water.

7 gallons bleach, 4 gallons water.

7 hundred gallons bleach, 4 hundred gallons water.

7 swimming pools of bleach, 4 swimming pools of water.

 

etc. etc. etc. ;)

Yeah unfotunately he said % and not parts. Congrats you just ruined the joke :angry:

Link to comment
OClownsandNanos

I'm sorry, but that sounds like way overkill. All the stuff I've read (and what I've used to disinfect children's toys too) has been a 10 parts water to 1 part bleach solution. At the most, 9 part water to 1 part bleach, then rinse it thoroughly, and then rinse again, adding dechlorinator to make sure no residual chlorine will kill your livestock. Leave it out in the sun if possible to dry. I wouldn't do any more than 9 parts water to 1 part bleach myself.

Link to comment

here is a little fun fact for everyone... I knew Chemistry class would pay off...

 

when using bleach to clean anything if you rinse it with hot water you'll be safe since bleach evaporates somewhere between 90-110 degrees F, and most home hot water heaters are set around 120 degrees. you should be safe as long as you rinse with HOT water.

 

 

Tom

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...