Pod Your Reef

Is Sand from old fresh water tank ok too add to deep sand bed?

RESONANCE

Hey Yall.

I just bought 2 used tanks and they came with a fair bit of sand oolitic like and some coarse beach like. Anyhow the previous owner raised african lake cichlids and so I was wondering if it was ok to add this sand to my deep sand bed? Will there be any dangers of cross contamination from freshwater to salt water such as ich? Thanks in advanced.

LebaneseDlight

Don't do it! Sand is cheap enough where I personally wouldn't risk it. Who knows what type of nutrients are in the sand, or if copper meds were used in the cichlid tank, etc etc etc. It certainly has nothing positive to add to your DSB in terms of biodiversity, as it's originating from a freshwater tank.

Unfortunately sand is NOT cheap where I'm at... well at least not for me. In fact, the 2 used tanks I bought were cheaper than 1 bag of 20lb sand... good point on the copper meds though. Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks.

I used play sand from Home Depot...

not that I recommend it but thats what I used and my tank is 11 months in and doing fantastic!

cheryl jordan
Unfortunately sand is NOT cheap where I'm at... well at least not for me. In fact, the 2 used tanks I bought were cheaper than 1 bag of 20lb sand... good point on the copper meds though. Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks.

Sand is alot cheaper in the long run than fish and inverts. I would not do it in a million years. ;)

Seriously, you shouldn't even be asking this question. I hate to be so forward, but this is not a hobby you want to skimp on. if you don't have the cash for new sand, then wait it out. BTW, DSB in a sump may not really be worth it unless your sump is large (JMHO). I would never, ever, ever consider used dried up sand from a freshwater setup. Go with new sand that you know came from the ocean.

I used play sand from Home Depot...

not that I recommend it but thats what I used and my tank is 11 months in and doing fantastic!

Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. especially if it's sand that is high in silicates, you're probably asking for big trouble in the future with algae blooms.

orly? I suppose you were never a noob, even from day 1. Better to ask and learn. Better to try and fail than not learn at all. This is a forum where people come to share and learn. Thus I asked. I bear no shame in asking. Frankly, you shouldn't be posting comments like that.

Seriously, you shouldn't even be asking this question.

Ok, thanks everyone for your opinions, message received loud and clear! Actually I already have a 5 inch deep sand bed and thought of augmenting it with this 'free' sand. But I guess not.

save money and get the live sand.. you should dump this sand asap!

I don't think I'd bother with a DSB in any tank that didn't have a fairly large footprint. It really is only something to consider in a large reef tank, not our humble Nano's. Obviously, don't use the sand as is, you don't need more than an inch or two of new sand. Sand in a Nano is for show, not for go.

Why do people have DSB's in their refugiums then? Just wondering. On other forums, Ive seen people who have 90 gallon tanks with no sand then a 30 gallon sump with a 10 gallon compartment which as 6 inches of sand. When I asked about it they said it's to have a REMOTE deep sand bed to deal with nutrients. I figured if they have a 10 gallon compartment of DSB for a 90 gallon, why not have it for a 16 gallon as well.

I don't think I'd bother with a DSB in any tank that didn't have a fairly large footprint. It really is only something to consider in a large reef tank, not our humble Nano's. Obviously, don't use the sand as is, you don't need more than an inch or two of new sand. Sand in a Nano is for show, not for go.
orly? I suppose you were never a noob, even from day 1. Better to ask and learn. Better to try and fail than not learn at all. This is a forum where people come to share and learn. Thus I asked. I bear no shame in asking. Frankly, you shouldn't be posting comments like that.

Res, I'm sorry and I meant no disrespect. :) It's hard to get across emotion in a post. I meant well though. Yes, when I was a noob I spent hours and hours and hours reading threads on this board as well as internet articles and books on the subject. Congrats on your tank and I'm excited to see how everything comes along in the future, but definitely don't use this sand . :D

Why do people have DSB's in their refugiums then? Just wondering. On other forums, Ive seen people who have 90 gallon tanks with no sand then a 30 gallon sump with a 10 gallon compartment which as 6 inches of sand. When I asked about it they said it's to have a REMOTE deep sand bed to deal with nutrients. I figured if they have a 10 gallon compartment of DSB for a 90 gallon, why not have it for a 16 gallon as well.

I had originally considered doing a DSB in my sump as well. I have a 39 g Cadlights Pro with a 12 Gallon sump. The wizards of Nano-Reef very quickly convinced me to stick with 1-2 inches in my sump. In fact, sometimes I wish I had only 1-1.5 inches of sand in my display. In the long term I just don't think you'll get the benefits you're looking for without a large footprint.

Ditch the DSB and throw some Chaeto in your sump...

I am a noob and i know that adding the sand from a used freshwater tank would most likely be a terrible idea. I dont mean to be rude, but as a noob i researched and researched and researched for months and months before even buying a tank. Most of the questions I run into on here from other noobs i know the answer to because i did my homework. Just understand that it can be frustrating for some of the long timers having to answer some questions that can easily be answered by searching or from common sense. However, good luck with your tank and remember that even if an answer to your question comes off as rude its still and answer, and is probably from someone who knows what they are talking about so just use it the best you can.

No worries Rizak, its easy to misinterpret written words over the internet, regardless, thanks for your opinion and input! Regarding the DSB, I was thinking of eventually getting a pistol shrimp for this tank also thus the sand. Right now the only animals in there is a green clown goby, some certh and trochus snails - besides the usual amphipods, etc...

Res, I'm sorry and I meant no disrespect. :) It's hard to get across emotion in a post. I meant well though. Yes, when I was a noob I spent hours and hours and hours reading threads on this board as well as internet articles and books on the subject. Congrats on your tank and I'm excited to see how everything comes along in the future, but definitely don't use this sand . :D

I had originally considered doing a DSB in my sump as well. I have a 39 g Cadlights Pro with a 12 Gallon sump. The wizards of Nano-Reef very quickly convinced me to stick with 1-2 inches in my sump. In fact, sometimes I wish I had only 1-1.5 inches of sand in my display. In the long term I just don't think you'll get the benefits you're looking for without a large footprint.

Ditch the DSB and throw some Chaeto in your sump...

Yup, well then I'm even more a noob than you - ok? Yes, I've done my research on a lot of things and no I wasn't born yesterday - thus I asked for opinions before doing. If people aren't allowed to ask questions do you really think there would be much of a community here or else where centered around this hobby?

Why would people get frustrated if it costs them nothing? My tank is not created from their money or house their pets. I care for my pets so I research and also ask people's opinions in order to make the right decision.

Again, this is a forum where people come to SHARE AND LEARN. No need for frustration people. Don't get pissed by other people's ignorance, help them learn. If you are getting pissed by people's lack of knowledge, then don't bother reading threads with question marks please.

I am a noob and i know that adding the sand from a used freshwater tank would most likely be a terrible idea. I dont mean to be rude, but as a noob i researched and researched and researched for months and months before even buying a tank. Most of the questions I run into on here from other noobs i know the answer to because i did my homework. Just understand that it can be frustrating for some of the long timers having to answer some questions that can easily be answered by searching or from common sense. However, good luck with your tank and remember that even if an answer to your question comes off as rude its still and answer, and is probably from someone who knows what they are talking about so just use it the best you can.

In my opinion I would not use the old sand. If you happen to decide for yourself to use it then wash its very very very well and hope it doesn't have any nasty contaminates.

Again I agree with other on the deep sand bed. If your using it for tank health don't bother. if you got some pet that likes it then sure go for it. Deep sand beds can potentially be worse for you imo.

If your looking for a DSB to keep your water paramters in check hopefully there are far better ways to do it.

Again, this is a forum where people come to SHARE AND LEARN. No need for frustration people. Don't get pissed by other people's ignorance, help them learn. If you are getting pissed by people's lack of knowledge, then don't bother reading threads with question marks please.

FYI, You'll find that on pretty much any reefing forum people don't take too kindly to questions being asked that could have easily been "searched out." You could say that it is really not good etiquette to ask a question that can be easily answered by doing a little searching. It's just something you'll have to get used to. This is a hobby that requires a lot of personal time reading up on things. :)

Meh. I did my search, did my reading, didn't get a satisfactory answer, needed one relatively quick so I post. I don't care so much about what others think of me - so long as they steer me in the right direction so I can do the RIGHT thing. If people get pissed, as I said, they needn't read - nor post for that matter. Getting a hissy fit over someone's honest lack of knowledge - well, if that raises someone's blood pressure - they have far more things to really worry about than a stupid question on a forum. Paraphrasing some wise saying - "the only stupid questions are the ones NOT being asked.". :)

FYI, You'll find that on pretty much any reefing forum people don't take too kindly to questions being asked that could have easily been "searched out." You could say that it is really not good etiquette to ask a question that can be easily answered by doing a little searching. It's just something you'll have to get used to. This is a hobby that requires a lot of personal time reading up on things. :)

Archived