Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

6 line Wrasse & Yellow Watchman Goby

Genesis

Does anybody have a 6 line wrasse with a yellow watchman goby? Preferably in a smaller tank. I have a 10 gal and am wondering if the goby would be harassed. I have the goby, but no wrasse right now.

briansbelle

i have a 6 line in a 14 gallon biocube with a 3/4" clownfish and a small clown goby and so far so good, the clown goby has learned to move out of the way of the wrasse...but no damage to either of the little guys...

bamfcolorado

IT should be fine since you're adding the wrasse last. But then again each fish is different. I've heard of peaceful ones and extremely aggresive ones. Just make sure it's pretty small when you add it.

i have a 6 line in a 14 gallon biocube with a 3/4" clownfish and a small clown goby and so far so good, the clown goby has learned to move out of the way of the wrasse...but no damage to either of the little guys...

Thanks. My goby hangs half way out of his bolt hole in the rock most all day. I would hate to see him hiding in the rock all the time.

I have a six line and a yellow watchman goby in my BC14 and they never bother each other. Model citizens.

That is encouraging. I know individual fish have different personalities but it is still encouraging.

Thanks

Most people would tell you at least 30 gallons for a six line.

Cool. That wasn't his question.

I think they would be fine. Especially if you get the sixline very small.

Cool. That wasn't his question.

I think they would be fine. Especially if you get the sixline very small.

:rolleyes:

A 10g tank is far too small for a six-line wrasse. I had one for a short time in a 12g and it was just plain wrong. Six-line's swim around constantly hunting for pods.

My six-line is now in my 34g Solana. And honestly, I wonder if that tank is big enough for it.

• Like 2

Are you guys talking about a 6 line juv or an adult? I've heard six line gets very very aggressive once they are settled down in the tank and specially in a small tank.

So I'm assuming those people who calling their 6 lines model citizens haven't own an adult 6 line before. Sorry, I dont want to be a show stopper. But I just hate to see people get frustrated and setting up fish traps, removing rocks try to catch the bastard.

I've had mine for over two years and she's less than 2 inches long. Not sure where that puts her in the life cycle of Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, but she's not a juvenile. Model citizen. Now my fire shrimp? He's a bastard!

I've had mine for over two years and she's less than 2 inches long. Not sure where that puts her in the life cycle of Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, but she's not a juvenile. Model citizen. Now my fire shrimp? He's a bastard!

I think I am about ready to take a chance with a juvie 6 line wrasse and hope for the best.

Thank you all for the advice.

I think I am about ready to take a chance with a juvie 6 line wrasse and hope for the best.

Thank you all for the advice.

Hope for the best??

I'll be honest with you, I'd sell my Six-Line if I could catch it. As it has gotten bigger it has shown considerable aggression towards the smaller of my two clowns. Keep in mind that this is in a 34g tank. You're going to find out the hard way with a 10g tank that it's far too small.

I have a 6 line and YWG along with a perc clown in a 28 gal Nano cube. They get along for the most part, but the wrasse does have his moments with the goby, If the wrasse goes near the gobys cave, the goby will flare up to kick him out. I will say that from personal experience I think the 10 is way to small. Im going to be getting rid of my wrasse after 2 years because in my 28 gal, he just doesnt have enough room. Hes always all over the tank and constantly looking for a way out, swimming near every inch at the top middle etc... not just in the rocks. If it was a 20 long id say thats probably Ok, but the nano cube is a cube and just not enough swimming room, same with your 10 IMO.

If ya put em even closer togeather, I think it depends on the actual fish you get. If you get a YWG with balls and an even tempered wrasse u will be fine. If its the other way around your asking for trouble.

• 8 years later...

Ive had 2 different six lines in my 13.5 gal reef with two different results. My first six line couldn't have cared less about my watchmen, and his pistol shrimp for that matter. However, I lost the original six line and my new one is a complete jerk to the watchman constantly. I think I'm gonna have to get rid of him because of the damage my watchman is taking. 

46 minutes ago, pino91 said:

Ive had 2 different six lines in my 13.5 gal reef with two different results. My first six line couldn't have cared less about my watchmen, and his pistol shrimp for that matter. However, I lost the original six line and my new one is a complete jerk to the watchman constantly. I think I'm gonna have to get rid of him because of the damage my watchman is taking. 

Now if you could just hop in the DeLorean and post this back in 2010...

CD460DB8-E6B6-40EB-A5DF-311948972735.gif

80AD5E60-EED1-41F9-A876-506B15C8C2A9.gif

16 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Now if you could just hop in the DeLorean and post this back in 2010...

CD460DB8-E6B6-40EB-A5DF-311948972735.gif

80AD5E60-EED1-41F9-A876-506B15C8C2A9.gif

Play nice.  

Image result for play nice gif

I'm back....

Image result for I'm back gif

• 2 years later...

I realize this thread is quite old but it comes up quickly when someone searches info on sixlines. As it has been said there are mixed results as with all fish behavior. To comment on my own experience, I love my sixlines! And yes I have two. Perhaps that's why I see no agression as he has a mate to occupy him. I have had my pair for close to 3 years now and they spawn regularly. They are in a 40 gallon tank with a pair of onyx perculas, a midas blenny a pair of yellow watchman gobies and a pair of keukenthal cleaner shrimp. Everyone gets along great and even though my male sixline is the biggest fish in the tank he's easy going. Maybe rather than giving the fish a bad rap we should realize it's more likely our tanks than the fish. Just my thoughts