Cultivated Reef

Need groovy invert suggestions

pmemmer

OK, so I'm looking for another invert or two for my "12 loooong" tank (in sig). Here's what is in there currently, critter-wise:

-- skunk cleaner shrimp

-- CUC (turbo snail, nassarius snails, ceriths and dwarf ceriths, a chiton, a couple of limpets and a few blue-leg hermits)

-- one yellow and black damsel

The tank has pretty strong flow (in tank filter on one end, MP10 on the other), and plenty of light. The current corals are a couple of zoa frags, and a leptastrea frag, and some hitchhikers (pseudocorynactis, siderastrea radians, and hidden cup coral)... most of the additions from this point, though, will be either zoas or sps.

So, any ideas? I need something that won't eat or get eaten by the current critters, is reef safe, and can tolerate high flow... and, of course, can live cheerfully in a 12g tank.

lakshwadeep

sexy shrimp (can nip on corals if hungry), slipper lobsters, porcelain crabs, emperor shrimp, pistol shrimp and shrimp goby pair, anemone shrimp...

animalmaster6
sexy shrimp (can nip on corals if hungry), slipper lobsters, porcelain crabs, emperor shrimp, pistol shrimp and shrimp goby pair, anemone shrimp...

Slipper Lobsters aren't reef safe :huh:

Emperor Shrimp also aren't all that easy to care for either.

I agree with Laks on everything else though.

In what way are slipper lobsters unsafe? Everything I've read says they're OK except vs. clams, and that they can cause rock problems if you get a large one. (But it wouldn't be the first time everything I've read turned out to be wrong...)

animalmaster6
In what way are slipper lobsters unsafe? Everything I've read says they're OK except vs. clams, and that they can cause rock problems if you get a large one. (But it wouldn't be the first time everything I've read turned out to be wrong...)

I heard they destroy rock formations and annoy the heck out of corals.

For the emperor shrimp, I got that mixed up with the similar bumble bee shrimp, which include species that will accept introduced foods. I know one NR member has an individual eating frozen food.

bank_vault?

This is the most confusing sentence I've ever read

Unlike most crustaceans, Slipper Lobsters are not opportunistic omnivores (translation= they eat everything) not to be trusted when hungry; which is all the time. When available they are interesting, relatively undemanding captive species.

Does that mean that they will or will not eat shrimp/fish/corals?

animalmaster6

When something is an oppertunistic feeder that almost always means it will eat shrimp/fish/corals when they are hungry.

Right, but the way they worded it makes me wonder if it was a typo? It's seriously one of the worst written sentences I think I've ever read.

Even if you back out the confusing parenthesis, you still get this sentence

They're not opportunistic omnivores, not to be trusted when hungry, which is all the time.

That's still confusing as hell.

Archived