Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do Shrimp Gobys share food with Pistol Shrimp?

Mysterion

I wanted to know if you pistol/goby owners just target feed the pistol shrimp when feeding everything else. I'll see my pistol shrimp outside and kinda raise his claws at my goby like hes saying "That was my food!" They don't "share" food right?

I don't target feed mine but when feeding my corals some bits do make it down his hole. Either way he is getting food from somewhere!

lakshwadeep

It's best to try and target feed the pistol. Mine would also get "upset" and sometimes snap when the goby was eating. It's important to turn off your pumps and let food reach the sand around the burrow entrance. If the shrimp's antenna touches food, it will quickly devour it.

animalmaster6

Yes they do. Definetly target feed though. It gives them extra food.

Here's what happens min my tank:

When I feed the tank my Hi Fin Red Banded Shrimp Goby grabs a bunch of food and goes into his burrow to feed the pistol shrimp pair. If the goby forgets to give food the male comes out and starts pinching the goby's fins :lol: The goby right away gives food to the pistols :lol:

Definetly try to target feed though, especially if you don't feed to often!

Eventually my shrimp learned to recognize the feeding baster. He feeds willingly. I have seen my hi fin give my shrimp a piece of algea, and he took it. I think the goby gave it to the shrimp because he did not want it.

my goby definitely fed my pistol. i still would shoot some mysis into the shrimps burrow just to make sure. my pistol was getting huge before my tank crash.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I wouldn't know because my YWG and pistol are anti-social and refuse to acknowledge each other. stupid fish.

Hah yeah I originally had a ywg shipped to me that came dead, it could have fit the pistol in its mouth anyways! So I went to Bio-Reef and found the Hi-Fin.

• 2 years later...
my shrimp killed my goby..buried him and and starved the goby to death..

It is senseless acts like this is why the pistol shrimps right to bear arms should be revoked. All assault claws need to be banned.

• Like 2

I have a YWG & tiger pistol and they have grown extremely large in the last yr. They are a bit antisocial when I'm in the area. Occassionally they come out to eat when i drop food in the tank. Other than that they eat the leftovers that fall to the sand. Never target fed and they have done just fine. Once they build thier home, u wud rarely see them out socializing..

One of my favorite things to do was to watch my hi fin goby share it's food with the candy cane pistol shrimp. I used to target feed as well and my pistol got comfortable enough to come out of the burrow and take food directly from my tweezers. my goby/pistol pair was pretty social.

Yeah, I target fed my pistol before I bought my Goby. I've noticed my new YWG also tags along besides my hermit crabs. As the hermits scope out new real estate they often evict some pretty large pods that are found squatting in the empty shells betwixt homeowners. My Goby has picked up on this. I often see him leaving the side of the pistol shrimp to follow one of the house hunting hermits hoping to score a between meals snack.

Archived