Coral Vue Hydros

salt mixing issue

mxpro32

I have a bucket of salt water that has been mixing with a powerhead and heater and I have a bunch of precipitated calcium carbonate all over the bucket, heater, and pump. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I would like to mix up 5 gallons at a time (enough for 2 water changes) and have it ready to go.

happens to me too. and not really anything you can do to prevent it. it wont hurt anything if it ends up in the tank.

I should have tested the water. My concern is that there isn't any calcium/alkalinity left. There was a ton of hard build-up on the heater and the bucket (can't scrape it off). I wonder if running the pump on a timer would do it?

whattup32533

how long are you letting it mix ? even if mine mixes for 2 days I never see any type of build up. Given I do use a lid, and I use reef crystals

I always have my bucket mixing, when I do my weekly w/c I add new water and salt and let it mix till next week. Using Red Sea salt w/ lid on bucket. I get that buildup on the pump and heater too. Some of it will brush off but most of it is stuck pretty good. I think its ok

I had this problem pretty bad when I used a 15 year old bag of reef crystals. A new bag dissolves in seconds. I tested the calcium when using the old salt, and it was around 400 @ 1.023, and I didn't have any issues with livestock.

If you're getting hard water buildup on the stuff in the tank though, I wonder if you're using RO/DI water, because that's not typical of long running reef's I've seen. It's more of what you'd see from a cichlid tank

AFRobert568

I’ve had the same problem the last two times I mixed my Seachem reef salt. I talked to a guy at my LFS mentioned that the Mg hadn’t had a chance to dissolve and since I likely just pored the salt in at once, it precipitated. The next time I poured it in slowly and I even added a little bit of my Mg that I was going to add to the tank anyways. That helped. Maybe not the adding of additional Mg, but try to add some salt then wait awhile before you add the next “scoop.”

The salt dissolves fine, then after a week or so of mixing in the bucket it starts forming a calcium carbonate build-up on the equipment and bucket. The powerhead is an eheim.

I don't think it matters which powerhead you use to mix the water...

As for the build-up, I use instant ocean and I get the same stuff after a few days to a few weeks.

I honestly don't think it hurts anything or makes the water any less useful. Then again I'm not a chemist either.

I do know that adding the salt slowly, and then aerating the water for a while before using it helps as well.

Are you slowly adding in the salt or just dumping in the salt?

Or are you dumping in the salt and then the water? Calcium carbonate will precipitate out if the salinity is too high... which is what happens if salt is dumped in too fast... or water is added to salt.

I made the same mistake as well. After slowly adding in salt and giving it a reasonable chance to dissolve... I've never had precipitate again.

I used to put the salt in the bottom of the bucket and then add water, but i read thats a bad idea. I never had anything precipitate out that way though (never mixed for over a week). the precipitate is a slow build-up through out the week, not a one time event.

It does take happen over time. It's possible you had a bad batch of salt or something.

Sometimes, even with a powerhead, there can be a layer salt at the bottom you may not be able to see in a light colored bucket. Usually that comes from dumping the salt too fast for the powerhead to dissolve it fast enough. I'm just guessing. /shrugs

You dont need to mix the salt that long. It is precipitating because it is reacting with atmospheric carbon dioxide, the same way kalkwasser can't be left to stand too long or it precipitates too. Once its IN the tank environment and is being utilized/metabolized it is more stable.

That is my first impression at least. I mix overnight with a bubble wand and heater, 1 day max.

Yeah, I figured it was just from mixing so long. It's nice to mix 2 water changes worth at one time. I just mixed up a batch this weekend and I let the power head run for a few hours until the salt was dissolved and then turned it off. I'll turn it on again with a heater before I do the water change. hopefully that helps.

Archived