inTank Media Baskets

re-newed 5.5!

smokey_the_bear

smokey_the_bear

this tank crashed due to me being lazy (ima duhmeee) and a crappy RO unit. so here it is now that ive done a recycle and cleanup :)

im trying not to use filter media, just water changes :)

equipment-

current T5HO 2x24w 1xT5 24w 10,000k & 1x 24w attinic (not single reflectors :( )

- aqeon 10 power filter ( for flow, no media)

- ac30 holds 50w heater and a simple sponge for big detrius (idk how to spell it)

-7 pounds of live rock

-i have no clue how much sand i think its over 5 pounds tho

- one baby perc (aquacultured)

-2 red legged hermits

-1 margarita snail & 1 trochus

- 1small colonie of zoos

perams- ph 8.2

nitrite 0

nitrate 10 (working on it)

ammonia 0

calcium 390-400

heres some pics :) tell me whatcha think

100_0941.jpg100_0940.jpg100_0939.jpg100_0937.jpg100_0935.jpg100_0932.jpg100_0931.jpg100_0927.jpg100_0925.jpg

parker32259
this tank crashed due to me being lazy (ima duhmeee) and a crappy RO unit. so here it is now that ive done a recycle and cleanup :)

im trying not to use filter media, just water changes :)

equipment-

current T5HO 2x24w 1xT5 24w 10,000k & 1x 24w attinic (not single reflectors :( )

- aqeon 10 power filter ( for flow, no media)

- ac30 holds 50w heater and a simple sponge for big detrius (idk how to spell it)

-7 pounds of live rock

-i have no clue how much sand i think its over 5 pounds tho

- one baby perc (aquacultured)

-2 red legged hermits

-1 margarita snail & 1 trochus

- 1small colonie of zoos

perams- ph 8.2

nitrite 0

nitrate 10 (working on it)

ammonia 0

calcium 390-400

heres some pics :) tell me whatcha think

100_0941.jpg100_0940.jpg100_0939.jpg100_0937.jpg100_0935.jpg100_0932.jpg100_0931.jpg100_0927.jpg100_0925.jpg

^ angry angry emo

< emo hater

v fellow emo hater

smokey_the_bear

im not an "emo" screw that stuff about b**ching about your life and cutting, i simply like "harcore", rock metal genre and have a band that fits that, plus girls like the hair :naughtydance: and im not an angry person :P so please, stop assuming it does as said makes an as* out of you and me. thanks for complimenting :)

Yay teen reefers :P Have you considered doing the fuge mod to the AC? Idk if you can do it to the 30, but it might be worth a try to get some chaeto in there. You might also want to play around with the rocks...make it a sort of art project- sculpt your tank! You might also want to get a few more snails- some nerites or ceriths or astrea, maybe. I wouldn't bother too much with the hermits...I had 6 two weeks ago and they've killed each other off; now I have two. Nasty little buggers

smokey_the_bear

i have chaeto in the dispay :P so no need there and yes i plan on gettin more snails im dissapointed with my current ones lol they just sit at the top of the glass and im goin to get one more hermit :)

i moved a few rocks around but i wanna keep them low to the bottom or kinda "dug in" so my clown has plenty of space cause i know its genreally frowned upon to keep one in a 5.5 but hes as jolly as can be

I suppose, though I would personally do whatever looks best with the rocks- he'd still have in front of them to play with and caves to weave through, if you make them. As far as snails go, I just bought a few different types. My nerites go slow-motion carpet surfing allllll the time, which is very annoying. They'll crawl right into the back of my BC and right out of the tank if I leave the top cracked- they're nice and active at least? And even if they do get into the filter area, they clean the nice hard to reach places- definitely my favorites. My turbos are always on the move, though they are pretty big for the tank. I hate my astrea- I'm always having to turn them back over or they die.

smokey_the_bear

yeah i could see how that get s annoying haha, but for sure going to re-do rocks otherwise im happy to see how its going. but my nitrates are stuck at like 20 ppm :/ grrr i'll just keep up my waterchanges, i doebt its the clown tho cause they were the same before i got him. i checked all my water sources and theryre good. so otherwise ill let this tank grow and see how it goes :D what size cube do you have?

i know teen reefers fo sho! haha

yeeesss i knew someone would comment, look hes just a baby and sticks to about a 6 inch space of water with higher flow but not lethargically he seems to be happy and like to investigate me during water tests haha they take a long time to become fully grown and by that time i wwill have upraded to a 10 gallon. im all against fish who look lonley and stuck in a small tank so why would i keep him if i would look and feel guilty? trust me hes fine and eats well

29g cube...have to be able to take it with me to college! I almost bought a 12g NC yesterday, but resisted...I'll definitely be setting up a pico soon though! How long has the tank been up for? How often are you doing water changes/how much? The clown can't be producing that much waste hehe. Are you over feeding perhaps? Try feeding in smaller quantities?

smokey_the_bear

im most definatly not over feeding, one pinch a day and then he gets to look for pods lol, i do one gallon a week, but latley ive done 1 1/2 gallon changes. this tank was set up last year in january and crashed in august :(, since then ive been doing water changes and cleaned everything and jusst let it sit with nothing in it, i got some moolah and then i "restarted" it late january

I feel you on the crash...I had a Rio powerhead short in my 50g...the burned plastic leeched toxins into the tank and killed EVERYTHING- and ruined the entire wall behind it. (lesson learned: never buy Rio products). Then after that when I tried restarting it- everything kept dying- literally nothing would stay alive. Turns out the toxins leeched into the acrylic too and had to trash the tank/use it to house my snake.

Anyway; maybe try more frequent water changes until it goes down? Are you using distilled/RO water and mixing it or is it store-bought? I would double check the sources, just in case.

Honestly you are having problems because the clown is too big for the tank. I feed my clown every other day, and it is in a 24g. If you are feeding daily, in such a small tank that is just asking for excess nutrients.

Sorry to be blunt but the clown is your problem.

smokey_the_bear

i use distilled water (which is R/O) and use instant ocean mix which i find nice i think most people dont like instant ocean. god that sounds like a nightmare!! i would freak to come home and find that! anyone care to see pics before the crash? your going to hate me once you do, idk how i let it happen i mean it was so fast XD but past is the past

Teen reefers FTW.

The tank is a little small for the clown though...

Honestly you are having problems because the clown is too big for the tank. I feed my clown every other day, and it is in a 24g. If you are feeding daily, in such a small tank that is just asking for excess nutrients.

Sorry to be blunt but the clown is your problem.

no i added him 2 days ago its nearly impossible for it to boost nitrates that fast. BUT if i do find problems i will remove said clown :P. i know it goes beyond the written "rules" but they will bent lol plus ima be upgradin to a ten soon so no worries..oh and very small pinch of flake? i doubt thats doin anything. oh btw i like your crab photo!

smokey_the_bear

yeah :slap: btw thats was some crazy macro in there then, wasnt a pest either it had a blue and purple tone to it

100_0211.jpg

100_0223.jpg

Archived