Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fuge or no Fuge?

cwilder

I getting ready to start my first reef. It's going to be 67 gallons (48/18/18). The questions is should I set up a refugium with a skimmer or just get the best skimmer I can? What would some of you guys do?

Thanks,

CW

They don't do exactly the same thing, so it's hard to say what would be 'best'. My preference is for a skimmer, but that doesn't negate the use of a refugium. If you are shooting for undetectable nutrients, you might consider using a skimmer, fuge, and GFO (along with a frequent water change schedule).

I'd start with a skimmer, but plan for a future refugium (you don't ever have to implement it). A reactor can be added later as well. It kind of depends, so there are a number of ways to approach this.

Any recommendations on a skimmer and what size fuge would work?

TKS,

CW

Hi. Does your tank have an overflow?

OClownsandNanos

If you are going to possibly set up a sump anyway, put in a refugium section in the sump (at least 10% of DT water volume is usually recommended for the fuge). As your bioload increases, if you find the fuge isn't doing enough for you re: nutrient export, you could potentially add a skimmer later to your sump if you want. (Given your tank is 67 gallons, I wouldn't suggest one of those HOB fuges.) That's how I would've done it if I had set up a sump.

tundrashaul

Make a sump out of a 20 long or 30. put baffles (bubble traps) in a way as to fit a pump for skimmers, or set a submersable one right in it, make center your fuge. you can put heaters, reactors and all can be plumbed into sumpfuge instead of display tank. just dont BUY a sump they're as little fun to do as a bought all-in-one.

Are you going to have a sump regardless? I would run both a fuge and a skimmer if you are going to have a sump.

Since you have no reason listen not to get a fuge, do it. they aren't going to hurt, they will help. Given the choice between the two I would use a skimmer (proper filtration is a necessity, refuge space is a luxury), but if you can have both my advice is to do it!

Well, I'm think I'm going to have both. Once the tank and stand arrives this week I will be able to determine what size I could fit under the tank. I think I will have plenty of room based on the stand dimensions. Hopefully I won't need a chiller. I don't think I will. Thanks for all the input and I'll post info as I go along.

CW

I'd use both. Just decide on your skimmer and put it in your 1st chamber with inflow pipe and possible bubble trap. 2nd to be fuge area (as large as possible) and 3rd to be your return pump. I'm not a fan of those overly complicated multi-baffled sumps. 2 baffles should be enough.

Archived