ReefCleaners.org

Stop raining on my parade.

schgr.cube

It seems like every few weeks/days/hours or so, someone decides to make a post about how stupid it is to pay big bucks for a single polyp of some rare zoanthid, and that charging such ludicrous amounts of money for said coral is ruining the hobby. Grow up.

I, for one, enjoy collecting coral that is commonly accepted as being "rare" or "limited", and I don't mind paying extra money for these pieces. I'm not saying that I want things to be outrageously priced all the time, or that I will pay big bucks for some ugly POS coral with a cool name, but I don't mind shelling out good money for a Magicians Paly.

And for that matter, what is with this attack on people using "designer" names for zoanthids? It's actually a pretty great way to differentiate different types of coral that look EXACTLY the same, save for the coloring on them. No one ever #####es or moans that ORA SPS all have "designer" names and sell for big bucks, so what is the deal?

I enjoy the whole collectors thing, and I'm sure there has to be at least a few others out there who feel the same way, so why can't everyone just agree to disagree? Remember, everyone has different tastes, as well as different budgets...

/rant

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't read beyond your first sentence. But I can tell you...this thread will only get you more negative attention.

Thunderstruck34

not raining on your parader here but ora also aquacultures everything they put out so those "designer" corals are going to be a bit more expensive because they're higher quality in terms of adaptation to the home aquarium.

Well first off I never pay big bucks for any coral, I usually buy browned out sps. I have a wife and kid to think about. As far as what you are willing to pay, well that is your choice. Just remember the ocean is awfully big to have LE coral. I think it is funny when ya'll buy $80 acros and they turn brown, because you could've spent 15 on a colony and had the same result. Zoas are a different story they seem to color up better over generations IMO, so a really nice 15 ring zoa would probably get me to spend 10bucks a polyp. However nothing is worth 100 bucks a polyp, NOTHING.

Not one thing?

What if it had a really, really, neat, cool, name though.

I think the names are fine really. And the money, its your money spend it how you want. If you like the coral buy it. The neat name really has no effect on my choice, but they are interesting, and a good way to classify so why the hell not?

Nemo Niblets

So you're at somebody's house and they have a killer show tank. They have some awesome "Deepwater LA Lakers". You want them.

Here's how it goes if they don't have a name:

-"Does anybody have some of those zoas with the purple center, wide green ring, purple ring around that, and green skirts?"

-"What? Like these?"

-"No"

-"these?"

-"No"

-"These?"

-"No"

And now you can't find those zoas you want so badly, and the person who owns them won't frag them up.

If you DO know the name:

-"WTB LA Lakers"

-"I have some, 3 bucks a polyp"

DONE

Purple hornets went more than 300/polyp the first time they were on ebay, after starting at $.99. People wanted them. Why would a vendor sell them for any less? They're nice zoas.

Now I hate when people buy plain zoas, change the name, and jack up the price compared to what they got them for. But seriously, if no corals had a name, most tanks wouldn't be as nice as they are.

Agreed 100%.

I just don't understand the complainers way of thinking. If they don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

But some people like to constantly ridicule others for paying a high price for a "name." Kinda pathetic.

My post isnt trying to rain on your parade or anything here. If you dont mind paying the price for the "LE, rare, etc" coral then thats fine. But i hope your not collecting corals just because they are expensive instead of how they look.

I think purple hornets are cool, but not worth the price tag because they just arent THAT cool. I wouldnt buy them just to say "OMG i have purple hornets". I would only buy them if i really liked them.

But do what you want to do, and say screw you to the haters.

As far as the naming, I'm on board with having them trade named. Like NN said, it helps you find the coral beyond saying "its purple with a green center" because that could describe hundreds of corals.

animalmaster6

I like zoa names, if they didn't have them there would be chaos.

Say I wanted to sell my Fruit Loops to someone who has better lighting, I coudn't because mine look like a bad frag of Bam Bams because of my bad light. I still would buy some because they are going in the 125 and will color up.

I understand what you are saying. Alot of people complain about the prices of zoas and palys usually the ones that have crap in there tank.I agree if you don't like the price then don't buy them but please keep your cake hole shut. Wish the no negative comment rule would get used in the classified section. There is a select few that will chime in every thread with negative comments and am sure they will in this thread to.I have some nice pieces that I spent high dollar on in my tank and I just don't even share pictures with people because of this reason.

zoas are sweet when they are in a colony and the pricier ones are usually more colorful and more appealing... but I feel like sometimes people pay for the name.

OMG, welcome to the interwebz, now pick your balls up on the way out.

I understand what you are saying. Alot of people complain about the prices of zoas and palys usually the ones that have crap in there tank.I agree if you don't like the price then don't buy them but please keep your cake hole shut. Wish the no negative comment rule would get used in the classified section. There is a select few that will chime in every thread with negative comments and am sure they will in this thread to.I have some nice pieces that I spent high dollar on in my tank and I just don't even share pictures with people because of this reason.
Nemo Niblets

:annoyed:

do acans have names like zoas do?

Yeah, but only the super sick ones. Which helps because acans are hard to classify.

Reading comprehension would do some of you well. ;)

I'm not saying that I want things to be outrageously priced all the time, or that I will pay big bucks for some ugly POS coral with a cool name

So you're at somebody's house and they have a killer show tank. They have some awesome "Deepwater LA Lakers". You want them.

Here's how it goes if they don't have a name:

-"Does anybody have some of those zoas with the purple center, wide green ring, purple ring around that, and green skirts?"

-"What? Like these?"

-"No"

-"these?"

-"No"

-"These?"

-"No"

And now you can't find those zoas you want so badly, and the person who owns them won't frag them up.

If you DO know the name:

-"WTB LA Lakers"

-"I have some, 3 bucks a polyp"

DONE

Exactly. I hate trying to buy from stores that don't even attempt to use names, and they have a bunch of zoa frags together in one big grouping.

I was hoping you would chime in, you're one of the people I thought about when posting this. There are others on here that have nice pieces (some that I haven't seen in ANYONE elses tanks either) and I know they've paid bookoo bucks for them too.

Yes, some of the prices are down right unjustified, and are clearly just someone trying to make some quick cash off of a piece. But you know what? If no one else has that piece, and its sexy enough to the majority, it is going to sell for whatever that person is asking.

Exactly. I hate trying to buy from stores that don't even attempt to use names, and they have a bunch of zoa frags together in one big grouping.

I love when my LFS doesnt know the names. Ive bought 100p colony of african steel hornets for $40 and 40p fire and ice for $20.

lakshwadeep
I love when my LFS doesnt know the names. Ive bought 100p colony of african steel hornets for $40 and 40p fire and ice for $20.

:huh:

Those names are trade names, and inevitably the prices of a specific color morph are valued based on what the seller thinks is their rarity and/or demand. You believe you got a steal because you think those zoanthids are worth more than you paid for, but that's only because you base it on your own knowledge of the "real" price. The store may have got the corals for less than that and eventually sold it to you for a profit.

In the end, a coral's price is only going to be as reasonable as the buyer who is willing to pay for it. One only has to look at some previously expensive SPS frags offered for sale now for the future of many high priced zoanthid color morphs. IMO, this kind of speculative pricing is harmless as long as buyers are wise enough to not feel cheated if their corals won't sell more than what they originally were worth.

Archived