Top Shelf Aquatics

LED Retro Q's

scythe

Im planning on heading over to my dads to start some fab later today. I started making a game plan around the build but looking at the coral life fixture it is really really small... Tying to figure out the best place to put these leds in while keeping the pc's...

As we all know that fixture gets incredibly hot!.. I was thinking about tryind to spread the two pc lights out and put the LEDs in the middle between them in a "wLED...bLED...wLED" strip I plan on cutting out the top of the fixture and exposing the heatsink through the top where it will be cooled via 1 120mm 120volt panaflo 53cfm quiet fan controlled with a dimmer switch from the depot. The fan is a bit over kill but it should cool off the rest of the fixture as well.

Now my question;

Will there be any negative consequences placing the LEDS between and slightly above the pc's? Do you think the added heat from them will burn up the LEDS?

My other option is to remove one pc and leave one as a supplement for color. My only concern then is, did i order enough leds?

I think I got it figured out. At this point heat is my only concern.

I have another question.

Right now I have it planed for the LEDS to sit in a row 1/2 inch apart, I have no optics, do you guys think this is to close? Here is a pic.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDAtMjAxMDA0MDItMTIzN.jpg

Well that was before i started working on it. 2 hours and i couldnt get the LEDs mounted to the heatsink. I broke two drill bits and a tap bit.

I am going to have to get/make some thermal epoxy

cut a hole in the side and put a fan there, then attach the led directly the the fixture in the backish area where theres flat area, then put a heatsink on the opposite side of that, i did that and am getting an IR thermemoter to test how well this worked. you can wait till next week to see how well it worked out fo rme

I have them all wired up but i got a problem. One of the LED's doesnt light up . It appears to light up very dim but that could be the other LED's shining through its lens.

Here is a pic

IMG00045-20100410-1307.jpg

There is supposed to be three lighting up with blue in the middle and two whites on each side.

IMG00046-20100410-1308.jpg

Here is my wiring. My question is do i have a bad LED? Or did i wire it wrong. I don't think i could mess up a simple series wiring job and because the other two work fine.... What do you guys think?

thats not series

to wire in series

attach the input positive to the first led positive

then go from the negative of that first led to the positive of the next and so forth, then on the last led attach the negative input to the negative

thats not series

to wire in series

attach the input positive to the first led positive

then go from the negative of that first led to the positive of the next and so forth, then on the last led attach the negative input to the negative

Holy crap your right, what was i thinking. I knew it didnt look right What did i do? wire them in parallel ? and would that be the cause of the last one in the string not to work? If i did wire them in parrell ? I am using the Mean Well LPC-35-700W constant current driver.

the idea is that you only pushed 350ma each through each of your whites, if you thought they were bright just wait till you redo it in series

*actually looks like just the last one didnt light up?

either way you probably didnt damage your leds in this fashion

the idea is that you only pushed 350ma each through each of your whites, if you thought they were bright just wait till you redo it in series

haha, they were bright! i am taking a break eating some lunch cause i cant see out of my right eye right now. Its all spotty! from just turning them on a for a minute!

ya the last one didnt light up.

The last one is bad.. nothing came on in series im going to have to order some more :(

I order all three new ones, theres no telling if one is bad now or all three , 28$ learning experience oh well. Should be quick and easy when I get the new ones now that I know what not to do!

Archived