Top Shelf Aquatics

Rod's Fish Food

paulski1

Hi! I have been hearing positive things about Rod's fish food from fellow members. I saw one in our LFS and I like to start on this regimen. Questions though about the original blend.

1. How do you administer it? do you mix it with RO or sea water? then spot feed the corals?

2. For the fishes, do you just drop it in in little chunks?

3. How often do you feed your fish with it? do you use it in combination with other food?

Thanks.

I thaw it in a small cup of tank water then I turkey baste bits of it to the fish and whatever corals like to eat. I also feed PE Mysis, frozen shrimp and squid and silversides.

I feed every 2 to 3 days.

It breaks apart pretty easily in tank water. The fish go nuts for it.

Thanks Billdemart.

From what I read too, even the the finicky eaters go for it like the mandarin fish. Luckily there's one sold in our LFS, I'll try to get one today and report back after.

No problem. Here is a list of ingredients and why everything loves it:

Shrimp, scallop, oyster, clam, Squid, octopus, enriched brine, krill, mysis, grouper, Frozen Red Plankton, broccoli, carrots, colliflower, Red Nori, green nori, selco, garlic, Golden pearls (all sizes), DTs oyster eggs, nutra rose powder, fresh hatched brine, fresh harvested rotifers

Take out of freezer

Turn pumps on standby mode (30:00)

Break frozen piece off in finger from bag

Place finger in water

Break apart in water

Avoid getting bitten by hungry fish

Break piece off

Move to rear left corner

Squish piece to break apart

Sinks

Watch Mandarin feed

wait

wait

wait

Turn MP 20 on feed mode

Go back to work

From what I read too, even the the finicky eaters go for it like the mandarin fish. Luckily there's one sold in our LFS, I'll try to get one today and report back after.

please do more research before you get this mandarin

I thaw it in a cup, then let the thawed stuff settle, then pour off as much of the water as I can to keep the rich slurry of stuff from going into the tank. All those extra liquid nutrients can't be good.

Deleted User 6

if you pour off the juice then you're probably pouring off some of the smaller food particles that your corals would appreciate. Rod's doesn't have preservatives like other frozen foods, so there's no need to rinse. I feed rod's every day and everything loves it.

Same as most of the others. Thaw it in tank water and turkey baster it in. I look for the larger chunks and those get fed to the anemone.

I feed Rods 3 times a week. Thaw it in a cup of tank water and then use a turkey baster to feed whatever. I also don't pour out the extra liquid, its good stuff :)

Is the phyto in Rods the kind that clams like? I am just wondering how much my clam will benefit from this stuff.

Take out of freezer

Turn pumps on standby mode (30:00)

Break frozen piece off in finger from bag

Place finger in water

Break apart in water

Avoid getting bitten by hungry fish

Break piece off

Move to rear left corner

Squish piece to break apart

Sinks

Watch Mandarin feed

wait

wait

wait

Turn MP 20 on feed mode

Go back to work

please do more research before you get this mandarin

Oh, I actually meant the Rod's Food not the Mandarin...I actually bought the bigger bag...worth it for about 4x as much as the smaller size. Sorry for the confusion. :mellow:

I made a post about this in the fish forum. I'm wanting to try this stuff as well. I'll have to buy two 6oz bags to get the shipping i want money wise. I just wonder how long it will last if i feed it every day.

If i dont feed it every day ill mix in between pe mysis soaked in garlic/seclon.

If i can stick with one food everyday that would be awesome. On the other hand i do not want to palute the tank.

I feed it about 2 or 3 times a week and I bought the small package at my LFS. I've had it for over 6 weeks and I'm not even halfway through it.

I guess it would depend on your inhabitants and the size of your tank, and how often you feed but a little frozen chunk of this stuff (like nickel size) goes a long way.

well My clown fish are going to be some well fed critters.

I went ahead and got two 6oz packs and a 8oz pe mysis. A bottle of selcon and a bottle of garlic extract from brightwell. Throw some flakes/pellets in from time to time.

Happy fat fish i hope.

We will see how it goes.

Ill prob sell the other 6oz to other local reefers to try.

i use this stuff and its like crack for my fish. Even my snails that are burrowed come out to eat when i feed my tank.

Yeah my crabs go crazy too. They come flying out of wherever they are hiding.

steviejitsu

How big are the large "chunks" in the original blend? hows the rod's coral food? are they too small to feed to say a clownfish?

I just bought 2 tiny maroon clowns today. Ive only fed them once and it was what my LFS recommended, Rod's food. The fish absolutely love this. They are both about an inch long. I cut up the food into little pieces, let it defrost a bit, then feed it. The food gets pretty small in water.

I've tried buying this twice now from my local LFS. Both times came in early in the week only to be told "sorry, we're out, try early next week." Bah. I'll just pick some up at MAX, lol

I've tried buying this twice now from my local LFS. Both times came in early in the week only to be told "sorry, we're out, try early next week." Bah. I'll just pick some up at MAX, lol

Im surprised that you couldnt have them order you one just for you. Or atleast hold one.

Archived