Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Candy Cane Corals in my Fluval Edge

Chrome Tang

Chrome Tang

I only set it up, erm, a couple of days ago and the salt still hates me ... grr. But I love candy canes and was wondering if I could keep them when the params are OK ... getting my test kits this afternoon hopefully :scarry: and the salinity is about 1.018, so I'm gradually adding my Kent Marine. I would use a different one, but my LFS uses Kent and they say it's best to use it as well because it will make inverts unlikely to have salinity shock.

I wasn't sure if I should post in the Beginner's forum .. a 10 yr old like moi is probably going to be better received there ... but I haven't. Can spend a bit of extra time on the tank as it's hols. 3 weeks B)

Thanks! and no one can tell me teen reefers suck cos I'm not a teen reefer :P (not looking at anyone nemo niblets ...)

Specific gravity for saltwater tanks is typically kept between 1.022 and 1.028 or so, even with significant acclimation the 1.018 specific gravity is probably too low to keep the coral healthy. Also what lights are you using, the tank comes with halogen if I'm not mistaken, which aren't ideal for coral growth or viewing and tend to heat up the tank considerably.

LebaneseDlight

With the stock lighting of a fluval edge, you're really limited to just macro algae and maybe sun polyps/dendros and other non-photosynthetic corals (assuming you can handle the nutrient export required for feeding such corals, and in a 6 gallon, it's gonna entail a lotta work!).

You've gotta make sure that your tank is done cycling before adding corals, which in all likelihood it isn't since it hasn't been up for very long. Also, you'll need to be able to keep stable parameters before adding anything, salinity swings like you've got are no good, and you'll need a lighting upgrade before you can add corals. The tank's got crappy dimensions, but you can probably find a lower priced 18" 175w sunpod fixture for it in the forums here that would do well :)

I can't imagine trying to do a nano reef on a 10 year olds budget.

I can't imagine it from an attention span angle.

Archived