inTank Media Baskets

12 inch coralife mini Aqualight 36 watt good for 3 gallon JBJ Picotope?

tk3445

I found a brand new JBJ Pico on craigslist for $35... a lot of people tell me the lighting is not suffcient... so i got to looking on ebay and found a 12 inch 36 watt coralife mini aqualight for $5 + 10 shipping with no bulbs or a like new(used 2 weeks) one with bulbs for $40 shipped

would that solve my lighting problems? and what is the better way to go? is it easy to find bulbs for this fixture can any 18 watt PC fit it?

thanks in advance for all the input

That fixture isn't as good as the 36watt Dual Satellite, but its fairly close. Any 18w straight-pin PC bulb will work, look on the Nanotuners site for the PC-R bulbs, should fit well, and are very high quality, made by UVL.

As for lighting "problems" I'm not familiar with what problems you are having, but El Fab ran his picotope for quite some time on a 36watt Dual Satellite and had success keeping SPS. YMMV

Edit: Get the cheaper one, the coralife bulbs are junk anyways, and you probably don't know for CERTAIN that the bulbs are only 2 weeks old. If the age of the cheaper one is holding you back, get the newer one, run it with those bulbs while you work on getting replacement bulbs such as the PC-R ones I mentioned.

Crackerballer
That fixture isn't as good as the 36watt Dual Satellite, but its fairly close. Any 18w straight-pin PC bulb will work, look on the Nanotuners site for the PC-R bulbs, should fit well, and are very high quality, made by UVL.

As for lighting "problems" I'm not familiar with what problems you are having, but El Fab ran his picotope for quite some time on a 36watt Dual Satellite and had success keeping SPS. YMMV

Edit: Get the cheaper one, the coralife bulbs are junk anyways, and you probably don't know for CERTAIN that the bulbs are only 2 weeks old. If the age of the cheaper one is holding you back, get the newer one, run it with those bulbs while you work on getting replacement bulbs such as the PC-R ones I mentioned.

This. Exactly this. I have the light. Get the new UVL bulbs and you will be more than fine with that small of a tank.

Archived