inTank Media Baskets

upgrading tanks

briansbelle

briansbelle

i am going to be upgrading my biocube 14 to a 29 gallon tank....

my questions are as follows:

1.can i use the sand from my biocube in the 29? it wont be much since my sandbed in the cube is only an inch at most.

2. since i will be using live rock from my biocube, plus another 20lbs of live rock from a very established system along with the sand will i have a cycle?

3.would it be best ot get the water/20lbs of live rock in there and wait a few days then transfer everything or how should i do this?

4. do i need a filter on this tank or are powerheads enough?

5. i will be making a HOB fuge for my tank out of an ac70 or 110 in the near future...good idea?

6. is it safe to put glass tops on a saltwater tank? i am thinking of getting a firefish and i know they like to jump.

thanks for any and all help ;)

1.can i use the sand from my biocube in the 29? it wont be much since my sandbed in the cube is only an inch at most.
If the sand be is more than 6 months old, I'd just use a cup or two (siphoned off the very top) to seed the new bed with. Don't disturb the old bed until all of your livestock (plus any water that you wish to use) has been removed.

2. since i will be using live rock from my biocube, plus another 20lbs of live rock from a very established system along with the sand will i have a cycle?
It shouldn't. However, run tests to be sure and have some Prime or Amquel Plus around just in case.

3.would it be best ot get the water/20lbs of live rock in there and wait a few days then transfer everything or how should i do this?
If the new tank won't be moved, I'd probably add the new rock and sand ahead of time.

4. do i need a filter on this tank or are powerheads enough?
Since the live rock is your bio-filter, powerheads are enough. Although you might wish to have a powerfilter available after the move to help clear up the water. They are nice to have around in case you wish to use activated carbon/GFO sometime.

5. i will be making a HOB fuge for my tank out of an ac70 or 110 in the near future...good idea?
I see nothing wrong with that plan. In the meantime, you could use it to help clear up the water.

6. is it safe to put glass tops on a saltwater tank? i am thinking of getting a firefish and i know they like to jump.
The HOB will help aerate the water, so that should work OK for you. If you are using T5 lighting, you shouldn't have a heat issue (this might be more of an issue with MH lights).
westcoastreefer84

Sounds like a nice simple plan.

I second getting some kind of mechanical filtration in there. There's a lot of particulate in SW, filter floss, sponge or filter sock is a must IMO.

I sometimes wonder about the usefullness of a skimmer on my systerm, but I don't have a fuge and it is nutrient removal. I however am a strong beleiver in using GAC(granular activated carbon). Your AC70 would probably make a great filter, just stay ontop changing out the floss and carbon regularly.

briansbelle

If the sand be is more than 6 months old, I'd just use a cup or two (siphoned off the very top) to seed the new bed with. Don't disturb the old bed until all of your livestock (plus any water that you wish to use) has been removed.

If the new tank won't be moved, I'd probably add the new rock and sand ahead of time.

the sand bed is about 5 months old i believe.. i dont have any other sand to add to my 29 gallon....just what little bit is in the biocube is all i have...is it ok to add the cup off of the top, then wait a day or 2 then transfer the fish over then add the sand after the rock is in there?

what do you mean if the new tank wont be moved? i am picking up the tank today, and the live rock on saturday....i am not planning on making the switch until my 50 is cycled so i can move all of my corals over to that tank...i am mainly going to try to go with a FOWLR and maybe a few hardy corals later on....

can i use a regular light for a FOWLR tank until i start adding corals, then use the t5?

about the AC, i might just pick up an extra filter to use with nothing but floss and some phosphate sponge, and use the other for a fuge...

thank you so much for your help... i am not used to trasnferring tanks, and my 50 gallon is the first tank i have cycled so i am still kinda new to all of this...

the sand bed is about 5 months old i believe.. i dont have any other sand to add to my 29 gallon....just what little bit is in the biocube is all i have...is it ok to add the cup off of the top, then wait a day or 2 then transfer the fish over then add the sand after the rock is in there?
If that's the case, I'd just transfer it all at once. I'd probably rinse the sand out good with saltwater before putting it in the new tank.

what do you mean if the new tank wont be moved?
Just if the new tank will be going in its permanent spot (not where the existing tank is).

can i use a regular light for a FOWLR tank until i start adding corals, then use the t5?
Sure.

about the AC, i might just pick up an extra filter to use with nothing but floss and some phosphate sponge, and use the other for a fuge...
Sounds good. :)

Archived