Innovative Marine Aquariums

Red hornets and why they're not rare

organism

Can you read? I said MSRP.. not KBB.

Plus, they didnt release a XT in 2003. It came to American as a 2004 model. I'm glad you know EXACTLY what you are talking about. What are you, 17?

That's good you know the history of my vehicle, I'm from Michigan originally. Because the previous owner was from Canada, and I bought it salvaged. Nice try.

Some people pay thousands of dollars for a bottle of wine that I think tastes like vinegar. That's OK.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not digging up this argument, because I know NOTHING about these zoas, but this is why I'm glad my LFS has all frags for $23. It could be 20 poylps of brown zoas or 3 polyps of PPE, both end up $23 according to them.

Stop acting like you don't love it.

I laughed SO hard when I read this. I thought he was bein' sexual. Maybe he was... :blush:

Lineage isn't an issue where I live, it doesn't exist. More colourful zoanthids are more in demand and therefore more expensive. That's why my LFS likes to keep them under the best 6500k lighting possible to ensure they are as brown as possible.

Robin's LE Poo Bear Browns anyone? Only 100 bucks a polyp, surface shipping only. Should get to you within a month of shipping date.

This whole thread has been like listening to two deaf people shout at each other. The collectors are one market and general hobbyists another. Organism does have a point. I am sure that similar corals to so called limited editions do pass through regularly. After colouring up, those polyps may well look like Red Hornets. They may be the same strain of zoanthid. Will they have real value to collectors? No, as the collectors are interested in exclusivity and a market has adapted to cater for that. For them a Red Hornet has to be traceable to that original polyp/colony. If they are pretty however, the rest of us would be quite happy to have them in our tank.

There are valid arguments on both sides, but this has obviously gone too far.

My question is, if you're one of those people who says they will NOT spend a lot of money on coral, then are you not even going to spend a lot of money on a piece that you just really think looks nice? Isn't that letting the money dictate how your tank looks on the opposite end of the spectrum? I think a nice piece is a nice piece, whether you are paying $0.10 for it or $100. People need to stop getting all uppity when it comes to the price of corals, as these things are always changing for better or for worse.

PS; nibor, you're absolutely right.

reeftankguy
You can just stay out of the thread.

hi i have a 40 breeder and all my fish look sad except the blenny like dottyback is always mad are my fish depressed cause they look sad all the time i dunno what to do i dont want them to have heart attack

omgomgomg

Oh, referring to my "trolling posts" when I was making fun of the "Firefish heart attack" thread.

hahahahahahhahashdkjashfi9qwg39fpq3b

NoobReef408

I had to LOL the whole time reading through 5 pages and after 5 pages i got tired same remarks,same issue, same problem. Same #### different day. I have seen plenty of the "devil's aura" and plenty of the "red hornets" big difference put them next to each other someone please do the devil aura justice and put them next to each other.

Why doesnt anyone give tyree #### for the price he put on pink elephants? it was 20 when i bought them and now its on his site for 80 a polyp noone is bashing him?

I collect high end zoas and have red hornets if they are not rare show me where I can get one please and some people like cheep corals some like high end stuff do that make the colloctors better no but we don't bash you for your cheep corals so I think some people are jealous but sutch is life lol you guys make me laugh funny stuff

Coralkeeper

OMG! This thread is too funny... Hey organism, I'll be more than happy to take your zoas! I have a Phoenix 14k bulb too. LMK

Also, anyone want to buy my "Oh My Fukin God" zoas? I swear, that you will say that when you see them in person! Only $300 a polyp!

2lngx2r.jpg

Or my "Holy $hit!" Acan? Only $200 a head!

2130r61.jpg

Also:

2qd8mc5.jpg

NoobReef408
OMG! This thread is too funny... Hey organism, I'll be more than happy to take your zoas! I have a Phoenix 14k bulb too. LMK

Also, anyone want to buy my "Oh My Fukin God" zoas? I swear, that you will say that when you see them in person! Only $300 a polyp!

2lngx2r.jpg

Or my "Holy $hit!" Acan? Only $200 a head!

2130r61.jpg

Also:

2qd8mc5.jpg

I dont get it?

Carlton'sTank

This thread made my night for sure.

I believe that the essence of this debate just illustrates the different views that people have in this hobby... and yes I said hobby. There are people that like to coin themselves collectors, when in essence, this stuff is not like art, or coins or civil war relics, this stuff grows and reproduces and is out there in the wild (even if the natural sunlight is not bringing out the crazy colors that our lighting systems can). I think that there is a fraction of this hobby's population that likes to collect higher-end stuff and it is all for their own reasons. Some people like to collect high-end pieces to make themselves feel good, some like to collect and sell/trade as an investment and others just like to collect just to have "cool stuff". It doesn't really matter the reasons, fads come and go. Prices will be high for a time, then level out. Organisms HYPOTHESIS is just an educated guess, from someone who has been in the game from some time. I am not saying he is right and I am not saying he is wrong, but I do think that his idea has validity. Those people in this hobby who have the right reputation could sell LE snowcones to Eskimos just because of the LE name associated with it. I don't think it makes it wrong because there are so many companies that do the same thing. If it were easy to dictate pieces as LE, then we all would be doing it, the market would be flooded and there would be no money to be made. It is a smart business plan and it is one that is going to stay sealed tight to ensure profit stays between those who are the top dogs. The reason people get gouged in the hobby is because those who "find" a "rare" piece want to get all of the money they can out of it before more is found (or grows) and put out on the market. Another way for them to ensure the prices is to throw LE on it and say that a piece is not legit unless it come from the same colony. It happens, it sucks, but it is reality. As this hobby grows it is going to be harder and harder to maintain the "names" of corals based on coloration with more and more people selling coral and trying to make a buck. I mean, look at the new site over at NCRA (i believe that is the name) they have over 1,000 purple hornet polyps and are giving away a ton. The coral is registered in their database, so who is to say if that purple hornet is the same as the originals and who's are real and why one would be worth more. This is a hobby. A good portion of people interested in this hobby are educated and have money. Those who make a living in this industry are trying to maximize profits. Profits are made and maintained by different marketing schemes. Since reefing and coral in general is a living thing that grows, the trends will change but the basic scheme will stay the same. Accept it. If you hate it, don't give in to the name thing. If you have the desire, then use it to your advantage.

Can we please see the coloration pics of this piece because I am interested in the OP's outcome.

Im glad it made your night. Once I finish my logarithms and lab reports I want to relax and read on some reefin, not listen to some douche, douchin up the place. Damn douchey mcdoucherson.

Carlton'sTank
Im glad it made your night. Once I finish my logarithms and lab reports I want to relax and read on some reefin, not listen to some douche, douchin up the place. Damn douchey mcdoucherson.

Well, it's entertainment. It parallels reality t.v. Everyone is entitle to their own view of this hobby. The elitist reefers are not they type that I like to associate with, but they usually do have nice coral. Either way, I would like to see how these zoanthids color up with t5 and metal halides with different kelvin bubls.

This thread made my night for sure.

I believe that the essence of this debate just illustrates the different views that people have in this hobby... and yes I said hobby. There are people that like to coin themselves collectors, when in essence, this stuff is not like art, or coins or civil war relics, this stuff grows and reproduces and is out there in the wild (even if the natural sunlight is not bringing out the crazy colors that our lighting systems can). I think that there is a fraction of this hobby's population that likes to collect higher-end stuff and it is all for their own reasons. Some people like to collect high-end pieces to make themselves feel good, some like to collect and sell/trade as an investment and others just like to collect just to have "cool stuff". It doesn't really matter the reasons, fads come and go. Prices will be high for a time, then level out. Organisms HYPOTHESIS is just an educated guess, from someone who has been in the game from some time. I am not saying he is right and I am not saying he is wrong, but I do think that his idea has validity. Those people in this hobby who have the right reputation could sell LE snowcones to Eskimos just because of the LE name associated with it. I don't think it makes it wrong because there are so many companies that do the same thing. If it were easy to dictate pieces as LE, then we all would be doing it, the market would be flooded and there would be no money to be made. It is a smart business plan and it is one that is going to stay sealed tight to ensure profit stays between those who are the top dogs. The reason people get gouged in the hobby is because those who "find" a "rare" piece want to get all of the money they can out of it before more is found (or grows) and put out on the market. Another way for them to ensure the prices is to throw LE on it and say that a piece is not legit unless it come from the same colony. It happens, it sucks, but it is reality. As this hobby grows it is going to be harder and harder to maintain the "names" of corals based on coloration with more and more people selling coral and trying to make a buck. I mean, look at the new site over at NCRA (i believe that is the name) they have over 1,000 purple hornet polyps and are giving away a ton. The coral is registered in their database, so who is to say if that purple hornet is the same as the originals and who's are real and why one would be worth more. This is a hobby. A good portion of people interested in this hobby are educated and have money. Those who make a living in this industry are trying to maximize profits. Profits are made and maintained by different marketing schemes. Since reefing and coral in general is a living thing that grows, the trends will change but the basic scheme will stay the same. Accept it. If you hate it, don't give in to the name thing. If you have the desire, then use it to your advantage.

Can we please see the coloration pics of this piece because I am interested in the OP's outcome.

all i have to say is well said!!

bluenassarius
Just for the record, the colony of zoas that "organism" posted are NOT RED HORNETS.

Red Hornets are actually called "Devil's Aura" and were originated by Robert, from Neptune Aquatics in the Bay Area. I believe the guy from Bay Corals bought one and renamed it some red hornet crap on ebay since the ring, and the name hornet were popular. The real red hornet pops very hard in real life, and side by side these two zoas are NOT even close.

The less colorful zoa colonies that "organism" is claiming are "Red Hornets" started coming in before the Devil's Aura was even named(Before the Red Hornet name.) I can't remember exactly who was selling them, but the vendor was either ERI, or FHI and they were listed with the wholesale name: "Ring of Flame" They cost a tiny bit more than the normal eagle eye/radio zoas and were a cool little polyp, but 100% not a Devil's Aura.

There was the "Ring of Fire" zoas that were also sold by the same vendor at the time along with a "Ring of Ice" Zoa. I think this was summer of last year. Kraylen used to have a large colony of these.

Sorry budski.

LMAO, cmon bro. only one piece of coral comes in from the ocean to the importer?? your talking to organism who has been in the retail and now wholesale game and telling him the real deal? ROFL! anybody who has been in the retail, wholesale game knows whats up. corals come in stressed all the time. if you know what you are looking at you can tell what the potential can be for browned corals.

if you know what you are looking at you can tell what the potential can be for browned corals.

I just bought a coral yesterday that looked like crap at the store. but under my lighting the colors popped and it was actually african blue hornets. at the store they looked like dull purple/brown crap.

Tenacious716

WHOA... crazy debate. Black Mark, you've done a good job of making yourself look like a true douche.

I'm not one to get into these types of threads, but I just have to add my two cents. I too work in the industry and deal with coral on a commercial level. I am also a high-end 'collector' and TBH I could probably trump your half-assed collection of "LE" stuff.

Let's talk about the topic at hand though, shall we? About two years ago I stopped over to a friends here in NY. He used to work for Sea Dwelling Creatures as a wholesale operator and has one helluva coral collection. Before any of this "hornet" craze came about, I noticed he had a neat zoa colony and so I picked it up (100+ polyps, not a frag). Guess what it ended up being? PURPLE HORNETS! Yes... not AOIs, Blue Steels or anything else. REAL DEAL PURPLE HORNETS. (I have lineaged ones too, so don't try and tell me that my corals aren't the same).

Then, ReefPets decided to submit them to ZoaID and put some on eBay. The price skyrocketed and it became one of most "known" corals in the industry. When I first saw my friends colony, guess what it looked like? Similar to the picture by Organism, a crappy looking zoa. But with time, flow, lighting and good husbandry, they came out in the end looking outstanding.

My point in saying this is... just because it isn't photoshopped and fully colored up, does NOT mean that it's not the real thing. Besides... who in the fcuk are you to go around stomping your feet like everyone owes you something? Not everyone on this site is a 'newb' and the OP was just trying to make a point, as well as spread some coral love. Why are you jealous of that? Go beat off to pictures of the MyMiami Chalice that you probably paid $1k for. Guess what? I have a colony of that too that I paid under $300 for. Need me to post pictures? I will.

To the OP; I feel sorry that some of these dipsh!ts ruined your thread. Mods, if you feel that my post is out of line... please delete it. I just can't stand when people who claim to be 'high-end collectors' know nothing about the ways of this business and how corals live/grow/appear. :)

Archived