Coral Vue Hydros

Red hornets and why they're not rare

organism

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you proof read everything you read before you submit it? I swear you just ate everything you said before you finished it.

What was so wrong about it? The fact is a handgun is a handgun, papers or no papers.

A zoa is a zoa, papers or no papers.

Not my fault you dont know handgun laws and made a stupid point about them.

so how are you affiliated in the coral market Mark? not trying to be rude.. just curious

Not trying to be rude, but that is not the topic at hand. Private message works.

A two eye frag of GENUINE....two cuts from Victor's colony at WWC...Bubblegum Monster went for $55 at my club's last Frag Event....I see Purple Hornets go for $40 pp every couple events....Those are reasonable prices I guess....I only have "Collector" zoas or palys from trades or giveaways, and I gotta say I have a few that rate as "Collectibles" but when I frag them I sell them for realistic prices.

I hope you are calming down a bit Black Mark. You really are taking both the topic and the hobby FAR too seriously if you get that inflamed because somebody calls something a name that somebody has claimed already. I mean, how rare are they really? A year and a half from now what will they be selling for. I just hope I can get some when they come down. They are pretty zoas.

Anybody want some real direct lineage on a real LE coral? I have Sunset Montipora that is only 2 cuts from Tyree. What's that worth now?

What was so wrong about it? The fact is a handgun is a handgun, papers or no papers.

A zoa is a zoa, papers or no papers.

Not my fault you dont know handgun laws and made a stupid point about them.

Yes, a Desert Eagle off the street someone paid 50 bucks for, god know where it came from is the same as a Desert Eagle, purchased though a store and processed with legal papers for that state. I'm sure they both get you the same results when caught with one.

Nemo Niblets

Yeah, paying 1500 for an eye of My Miami is ridiculous. But plenty of people buy it. Why would he sell it for cheaper? He's making a living. You do what you do. People pay insane prices for Gucci purses when you can buy something that will do the same thing for 5% the cost. Why pay for it? Because they want it and have the money. Why would they sell it for cheaper? People pay for it.

Thanks for the effort, Organism. I'm sure you knew you were going to get flamed...

Yes, a Desert Eagle off the street someone paid 50 bucks for, god know where it came from is the same as a Desert Eagle, purchased though a store and processed with legal papers for that state. I'm sure they both get you the same results when caught with one.

Your thinking too much into it, a desert eagle is a desert eagle no matter how you look at it (an over-hyped piece of junk).

Yeah one might have a body on it, but your thinking too far ahead talking about getting caught with it.

How does a zoa "off the street" and a zoa from a store with papers differ if they are the same exact thing?

A two eye frag of GENUINE....two cuts from Victor's colony at WWC...Bubblegum Monster went for $55 at my club's last Frag Event....I see Purple Hornets go for $40 pp every couple events....Those are reasonable prices I guess....I only have "Collector" zoas or palys from trades or giveaways, and I gotta say I have a few that rate as "Collectibles" but when I frag them I sell them for realistic prices.

I hope you are calming down a bit Black Mark. You really are taking both the topic and the hobby FAR too seriously if you get that inflamed because somebody calls something a name that somebody has claimed already. I mean, how rare are they really? A year and a half from now what will they be selling for. I just hope I can get some when they come down. They are pretty zoas.

Anybody want some real direct lineage on a real LE coral? I have Sunset Montipora that is only 2 cuts from Tyree. What's that worth now?

Your sunset is worth little.

Do you people know what supply and demand is? Wow, I swear I've said it several times and nobody has a clue to what it is. I'm not saying Devils Aura won't be 50 bucks a polyp in a year or two. Corals grow!!! It's science, everybody here knows that(at least I thought) so with that said. How many Devils Aura do you think have grown so far since they first came in? Not a whole lot I can assure you. Purple hornets held value for a while, and naturally they started growing and becoming available more often.

Do you remember how much Purple Deaths and Nukes went for back in the day? I wouldn't even take a free colony of either now a days. Purple People Eater is another good example, they came out before MOST zoas/palys that are considered limited edition, or rare. They still fetch up to 40 bucks a polyp, STILL!?!?

If anyone can tell me WHY PPE still have somewhat of a price tag in comparison to the other two palythoa I listed, which came out after and had around the same price as the PPE when they came out, gets a cookie.

There are some things that need papers ill agree. I just think that coral and animals shouldnt because we pay for the color and looks of them, while "collectors" pay for the name.

There are some things that need papers ill agree. I just think that coral and animals shouldnt because we pay for the color and looks of them, while "collectors" pay for the name.

No one pays for a name until the price is set. You can have whatever you want with the coolest name in the world... but if it is not awesome to begin with, no one will buy it.

just give it up and let this thread get back to its original topic, holy crap.

I'm sorry, this is VERY on topic actually.

So, do you have to replace your "Collection" every few months? I mean when you pay giga bucks for them and a few months later they are selling them in even the not-so-good stores, do you then get rid of them and get more expensive ones? I mean like when they do what my sunset did?

I agree. Zoas and palys can change drastically with lighting, chemistry, and environment.

Which is why I will never pay for designer zoa/paly frags.

Example:

Under PC lighting...

post-41021-1270249308_thumb.jpg

4 weeks later under 70MH...

post-41021-1270249361_thumb.jpg

I've also got frags that were green/yellow, that have turned into "watermelons" with deep red.

So, do you have to replace your "Collection" every few months? I mean when you pay giga bucks for them and a few months later they are selling them in even the not-so-good stores, do you then get rid of them and get more expensive ones? I mean like when they do what my sunset did?

Your sunset montipora is a HORRIBLE example to use in this discussion. When the sunset montipora came in, it was a large piece, this is why so many people got it in the first place. Also, it is one of the faster growing montipora out there. So, with that said and keeping in mind how long it has been out.. how many inches do you think exist in home aquaria? A football field? That would be a safe guess.

I agree. Zoas and palys can change drastically with lighting, chemistry, and environment.

Which is why I will never pay for designer zoa/paly frags.

Example:

Under PC lighting...

post-41021-1270249308_thumb.jpg

4 weeks later under 70MH...

post-41021-1270249361_thumb.jpg

I've also got frags that were green/yellow, that have turned into "watermelons" with deep red.

No offense, but I wouldn't look twice at those if I were shopping for pieces with cash in hand.

Thunderstruck34
For starters, the two frags that are pictured won't be able to finish coloring up here, so I'll give them to anyone I know and trust (random people please read that part again) to take them home and finish coloring them up. All you've gotta do is pick them up at the wholesaler I work at near LAX during the week.

Whomever picks them up needs to have good quality t5's, 20k halides, or maybe a phoenix 14k, no crappy lighting, and just post up weekly pictures as they color up. NO PM's from people I don't know, people that want them shipped, etc... After they're colored up sell them or something, cheers.

So to get to the point, I see at least 4-6 colonies every two months with about 60+ polyps each on them. Half the time they don't come in colored up, so I took two frags from the brownest colony I could find to show the coloring up process. Anyone that's either ripping off reefers, been ripped off on these, or friends with one of the above will argue to the death that they aren't the "true" ones, so in advance I won't be responding to you, and let me commend you for letting your need to rip people off push you into living in denial.

Here's a pic from the nano reef gallery of a real red hornet, in order to kind of give a comparison.

red_hornet_008.JPG

Here's day one of my colony.

post-14867-1270161790_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1270161811_thumb.jpg

Week two under some old, crappy halides, same zoanthids.

post-14867-1270162030_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1270162046_thumb.jpg

topic ^

stop mucking this thread up.

You have no idea of what they are so stop jumping to conclusions. Do you have any way of getting a 100% accurate id on it just by looking at the pictures? no. so unless you somehow get some dna samplings or whatever to get a 100% positive id than you can complain all you want. But for the time being your just bashing.

No offense, but I wouldn't look twice at those if I were shopping for pieces with cash in hand.

That colony started out as a freebie hitchhiker on LR from a local reefer. So I suppose I wouldn't have paid cash either.

I was showing that sometimes colors are drastically different. So buying "purple hornets", "red hornets", or "green bubblebee humpers" for $500 pp is risky, because just moving them from tank to tank will produce different results.

But nice try at making yourself look sophisticated.

You are still just buying a coral. It's not like you are arguing over the cure for cancer or something. It's a coral, and this is just a hobby for goodness sake. Some of you guys exist in EVERY hobby on earth. Gotta have the most expensive or "sought after". The rest of us wait until your fortune corals come down and then we have them. I really enjoy my aquarium for the serenity and realxation it brings into my life, not the arbitrary value it has because somebody named its inhabitants. And I gotta say I never have frags I'm trying to sell, but I have sold MANY. People line up to buy from me because they know they will get great values from me. I mean really....who gives a Flying Monkey Butt about who named a coral something cute? Let's get real....every hobby....I can remember kids trading marbles and one kid came along and put everybody else down for not having "steelies" and all they were was ball bearings....

I'm going to name a zoa Ball Bearing Monkey Butts...anybody want some????

Besides, you are the one who is wrong calling any of those Red Hornets, Hornets are insects you silly intense guy....

and you never told me how often you have to replace your "Collection". Nothing that reproduces like these corals stays rare.

You are still just buying a coral. It's not like you are arguing over the cure for cancer or something. It's a coral, and this is just a hobby for goodness sake. Some of you guys exist in EVERY hobby on earth. Gotta have the most expensive or "sought after". The rest of us wait until your fortune corals come down and then we have them. I really enjoy my aquarium for the serenity and realxation it brings into my life, not the arbitrary value it has because somebody named its inhabitants. And I gotta say I never have frags I'm trying to sell, but I have sold MANY. People line up to buy from me because they know they will get great values from me. I mean really....who gives a Flying Monkey Butt about who named a coral something cute? Let's get real....every hobby....I can remember kids trading marbles and one kid came along and put everybody else down for not having "steelies" and all they were was ball bearings....

I'm going to name a zoa Ball Bearing Monkey Butts...anybody want some????

Besides, you are the one who is wrong calling any of those Red Hornets, Hornets are insects you silly intense guy....

Damn you and your humor at the end making me slightly chuckle.

Anyways, some people just have to have all the best stuff. That's life, and that is the way it has always been.

topic ^

stop mucking this thread up.

You have no idea of what they are so stop jumping to conclusions. Do you have any way of getting a 100% accurate id on it just by looking at the pictures? no. so unless you somehow get some dna samplings or whatever to get a 100% positive id than you can complain all you want. But for the time being your just bashing.

You realize the EXACT same statement could be directed towards the OP, right?

Think about what you're saying before you say it.

Archived