Pod Your Reef

Red hornets and why they're not rare

organism

Who is Black Mark and where did he come from? Does somebody need a tissue?

looks like the people that spent an arm and a leg are getting a little jealous

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying free coral isn't a good thing but, the ONLY reason I entered this thread is because the title is clearly stating Devils Aura are not rare or whatever.

The title of this thread should be.. "Free zoas near the LAX area" or whatever, and then in the post itself she might say something like... "These kinda look like..." but I mean come on... her intentions are to crap on someone elses limited edition piece. I can understand why a non-collector like most of the people posting in here would see this as no big deal. It's going to be a big deal when everyone who gets these slangs them as LE colonies with heavy photoshop and start screwing people over. Not all zoanthids come in big colonies when they are found. Hell, the original Psycho Watermelon came in as like, 5 polyps total. This is why it still fetches over a hundred dollars a polyp. Some random person with giant tranship colonies they paid pocket change for should not be selling them for 30 bucks a polyp just because THEY think the might resemble a higher named piece. This is complete BS.

until the coral colors up, theres no way to tell what the common name is. i've seen huge changes in zoa colors due to lighting intensity. As long as the characteristics of the red hornets are met by the zoa, then i dont see a problem with calling them what they look like.

as far as lineage goes, they all came from the oceans at one point in time, all you pay for is the aquaculture facilities the corals have been through, which just mean they're free of parasites and tolerant to captive settings.

Who is Black Mark and where did he come from? Does somebody need a tissue?

looks like the people that spent an arm and a leg are getting a little jealous

I'm someone who is very active and persistent with the coral market. My screen name should not matter as much as the points I am bringing to the table.

Nemo Niblets

Well, some people won't want to buy red hornets that aren't EXACTLY like red hornets. So, it would cause some unrest for somebody to buy a fake one and flip out.

But, this shows how ridiculous the pricing is. Red hornets are really nice, and I wouldn't mind paying like 20 bucks a polyp for them. And if they didn't have a name, they would be referred to as "purple zoas with a thing red ring, and fringes alternating purple and red." Which would be annoying, because people would want those nice zoas, but couldn't get them very easily.

as far as lineage goes, they all came from the oceans at one point in time, all you pay for is the aquaculture facilities the corals have been through, which just mean they're free of parasites and tolerant to captive settings.

Refer to the post above this one I made about the PM zoas and how they came in. Everything comes from the ocean yeah, but it does not mean there are an unlimited, or even two of the same thing in the ocean. Common sense and nature my friend.

I'm someone who is very active and persistent with the coral market. My screen name should not matter as much as the points I am bringing to the table.

What points? That your mad because someone is "dumping on someones LE piece".

I'm sorry but im all for "Help the hobby out", not "lets price gouge these idiots".

But, this shows how ridiculous the pricing is. Red hornets are really nice, and I wouldn't mind paying like 20 bucks a polyp for them. And if they didn't have a name, they would be referred to as "purple zoas with a thing red ring, and fringes alternating purple and red." Which would be annoying, because people would want those nice zoas, but couldn't get them very easily.

Pricing? The pricing was set by the consumers!!! Think about it this way, if I have the only 2 polyps of a zoa in.. I post a picture, and 75 people hit me up do you really think I am going to sell them for a few bucks to the first guy? No, that is not how business works, not supply and demand. A smart person would put that on ebay and let those 75 people set the price. That's what happened in the first place. That's why they are the price they are, because YOU made it that way. Why do they still sell for so much????? SUPPLY AND DEMAND. It's simple people.

I'm sorry but im all for "Help the hobby out", not "lets price gouge these idiots".

Refer to post below this one.

Help the hobby out? If it wasn't for business, or money, there would be no hobby!!! I understand the liberal point of view, but lets be realistic here.

Pricing? The pricing was set by the consumers!!! Think about it this way, if I have the only 2 polyps of a zoa in.. I post a picture, and 75 people hit me up do you really think I am going to sell them for a few bucks to the first guy? No, that is not how business works, not supply and demand. A smart person would put that on ebay and let those 75 people set the price. That's what happened in the first place. That's why they are the price they are, because YOU made it that way. Why do they still sell for so much????? SUPPLY AND DEMAND. It's simple people.

So because richy rich paid $1200 for a 1"x1" piece of my miami chalice that automatically sets the value of it?

So what your saying is the rich set the value of our corals and make it so the common consumer can only afford to buy 1 polyp of Purple hornet or w/e?

Man reading through this is hilarious.

Who the hell is an organism? (What the F kind of question is that hahahahaahahahahahaha)

Lineage is the most idiotic thing ever, you wan't lineage here you go

zn-map.gif

It's nothing more than a marketing scheme that idiots fall for. It's an excuse for people like Steve Tyree to not get a real job.

Refer to post below this one.

Help the hobby out? If it wasn't for business, or money, there would be no hobby!!! I understand the liberal point of view, but lets be realistic here.

I'm not saying companies shouldnt try to get the highest price possible, because thats how they make their money. I'm just saying if i had 100 purple hornets, or 100 red hornets and i fragged them i would sell them for way less then normal to people on this board or friends because i want to pass on a nice piece to them. If it was a business venture of mine, and its how i made a living then yes i would price gouge people.

You just act like If i did what i said above that it would be bad because im hurting someones feelings or something by letting their LE coral go for too cheap.

Man reading through this is hilarious.

Who the hell is an organism? (What the F kind of question is that hahahahaahahahahahaha)

Lineage is the most idiotic thing ever, you wan't lineage here you go

zn-map.gif

It's nothing more than a marketing scheme that idiots fall for. It's an excuse for people like Steve Tyree to not get a real job.

exactly.

I have a dog thats a boxer. His dad and grandmother are AKC champions. My dogs mother does not have papers. So my boxer is purebreed and looks AKC but is not. My point is papers is just something used to inflate the value.

So because richy rich paid $1200 for a 1"x1" piece of my miami chalice that automatically sets the value of it?

So what your saying is the rich set the value of our corals and make it so the common consumer can only afford to buy 1 polyp of Purple hornet or w/e?

I keep saying it, supply and demand. To answer your question, in the collectors game of LE corals "Richy rich" DOES IN FACT SET THE PRICE. Why? because its a bunch of rich people who are into rare, colorful high end stuff and they know they may never come across another one... so they pay the extra money for it.

A hobbyist and a collector are two totally different "reefers."

The common consumer is just a hobbyist. A collector is going try to have the newest, biggest and best corals. Real estate in the tank to a true collector is crucial. I've seen 30 gallon tanks full, with 1 grand worth of live stock, and I've seen collectors 29g that have 10k + worth of coral in them.

exactly.

I have a dog thats a boxer. His dad and grandmother are AKC champions. My dogs mother does not have papers. So my boxer is purebreed and looks AKC but is not. My point is papers is just something used to inflate the value.

Yeah and a handgun without the papers and a handgun with papers are the same thing too right? You're missing the point.

Yeah and a handgun without the papers and a handgun with papers are the same thing too right? You're missing the point.

Yes they are the same thing, a handgun.

There are plenty of unregistered legal handguns out there, and there are plenty of legal handguns with papers. What was the point you were trying to make here?

I would buy a handgun with papers if it was new in the gun store. I would buy an unregistered handgun if it was old and beyond the laws of registration. I wouldnt pay more for one or the other besides the value of the gun.

Refer to the post above this one I made about the PM zoas and how they came in. Everything comes from the ocean yeah, but it does not mean there are an unlimited, or even two of the same thing in the ocean. Common sense and nature my friend.

common sense tells me there are multiple versions of the same organism in the ocean, especially if the corals are collected in close proximity. color variations occur due to natural selection and environmental factors. breeding behaviors of the zoas might cause a strang color variation, but the likelyness of it happening in only 5 polyps over the course of the zoa colonies life span is very low. zoas are put under the same stresses as all other organisms and broadcast spawning does make some strange effects but none the less, there are probably more of your PM zoas out there that just havent been found or collected.

Yes they are the same thing, a handgun.

There are plenty of unregistered legal handguns out there, and there are plenty of legal handguns with papers. What was the point you were trying to make here?

I would buy a handgun with papers if it was new in the gun store. I would buy an unregistered handgun if it was old and beyond the laws of registration. I wouldnt pay more for one or the other besides the value of the gun.

Do you proof read everything you read before you submit it? I swear you just ate everything you said before you finished it.

common sense tells me there are multiple versions of the same organism in the ocean, especially if the corals are collected in close proximity. color variations occur due to natural selection and environmental factors. breeding behaviors of the zoas might cause a strang color variation, but the likelyness of it happening in only 5 polyps over the course of the zoa colonies life span is very low. zoas are put under the same stresses as all other organisms and broadcast spawning does make some strange effects but none the less, there are probably more of your PM zoas out there that just havent been found or collected.

So, since they are not on the market... still in the ocean, they don't apply to the current supply and demand of that said coral on the market. Am I right? No, I'm not asking.

Archived