Top Shelf Aquatics

Red hornets and why they're not rare

organism

For starters, the two frags that are pictured won't be able to finish coloring up here, so I'll give them to anyone I know and trust (random people please read that part again)

edit - I've had to add this part in due to about 12 pm's. RANDOM PEOPLE PLEASE READ THAT PART AGAIN. Yes, it means you. If you think "now that doesn't apply to me" then you're overlooking the fact that I put it in there because yes, it specifically applies only to you.

to take them home and finish coloring them up. All you've gotta do is pick them up at the wholesaler I work at near LAX during the week.

Whomever picks them up needs to have good quality t5's, 20k halides, or maybe a phoenix 14k, no crappy lighting, and just post up weekly pictures as they color up. NO PM's from people I don't know, people that want them shipped, etc... After they're colored up sell them or something, cheers.

So to get to the point, I see at least 4-6 colonies every two months with about 60+ polyps each on them. Half the time they don't come in colored up, so I took two frags from the brownest colony I could find to show the coloring up process. Anyone that's either ripping off reefers, been ripped off on these, or friends with one of the above will argue to the death that they aren't the "true" ones, so in advance I won't be responding to you, and let me commend you for letting your need to rip people off push you into living in denial.

Here's a pic from the nano reef gallery of a real red hornet, in order to kind of give a comparison.

red_hornet_008.JPG

Here's day one of my colony.

post-14867-1270161790_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1270161811_thumb.jpg

Week two under some old, crappy halides, same zoanthids.

post-14867-1270162030_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1270162046_thumb.jpg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think im goin back to the fish store to get those browned out purpleish zoas i saw at the LFS..lol

they almost look fake purple hornets.

I think im goin back to the fish store to get those browned out purpleish zoas i saw at the LFS..lol

they almost look fake purple hornets.

They probably are, browned out purple hornets come around like once every two months or so.

ya well they were like $25 for like 50 polyps. ill go get them and take some timeline pics. I hate overly priced coral.

You can probably do this with most "high end" coral.

That being said, I don't see why. People will pay what people will pay, if the prices we see for Purple Hornets (as an example) where really rediculous, the price would drop. Beauty of Capitalism.

You can probably do this with most "high end" coral.

That being said, I don't see why. People will pay what people will pay, if the prices we see for Purple Hornets (as an example) where really rediculous, the price would drop. Beauty of Capitalism.

This is Capitalism at its finest.

Nemo Niblets

Purple Hornets took a LONG time to color up. When they came in from indonesia they were super brown and ugly.

NaClCrocodile

I'd love to reverse my thinking, but until they look VERY similar/just like real Red Hornets, I'm not convinced. Sure, they'll look better than they did, but maybe not what I'd want if I were buying Red Hornets. By the way, I'm not "in denial" but I do think there is something to be said for a less common zoanthid selling for more than button polyps. For a knock off, they look good.

Once they look like the last ones on zoaid.com, then I'll eat my words.

I find it odd that people are more willing to believe the people who are selling these Zoanthids than the guy giving them away.

Just found it ironic, and I'm not looking at any one in particular.

just bought some zoas that look VERY close to purple hornets bought 20 min ago. they might be once they color up!

ill post some pics once they open.

The problem is that you're using a horrible photo of the real red hornet.

lol, I love deceptive phrasing

Kind of like if I were using a horrible photo of a real mercedes. Still a mercedes, just not how the dealership would prefer that it be photographed.

I find it odd that people are more willing to believe the people who are selling these Zoanthids than the guy giving them away.

Just found it ironic, and I'm not looking at any one in particular.

Yeah, that's how the lineage threads go...

hmmmmmmmm........ ;)

I forgot you had 20k's, how's your zoas looking?

I'll drive them over if you want them, even though you're a bbq flake :P

Just for the record, the colony of zoas that "organism" posted are NOT RED HORNETS.

Red Hornets are actually called "Devil's Aura" and were originated by Robert, from Neptune Aquatics in the Bay Area. I believe the guy from Bay Corals bought one and renamed it some red hornet crap on ebay since the ring, and the name hornet were popular. The real red hornet pops very hard in real life, and side by side these two zoas are NOT even close.

The less colorful zoa colonies that "organism" is claiming are "Red Hornets" started coming in before the Devil's Aura was even named(Before the Red Hornet name.) I can't remember exactly who was selling them, but the vendor was either ERI, or FHI and they were listed with the wholesale name: "Ring of Flame" They cost a tiny bit more than the normal eagle eye/radio zoas and were a cool little polyp, but 100% not a Devil's Aura.

There was the "Ring of Fire" zoas that were also sold by the same vendor at the time along with a "Ring of Ice" Zoa. I think this was summer of last year. Kraylen used to have a large colony of these.

Sorry budski.

Archived