Pod Your Reef

40B Black sand Acan and torch heavy reef.

boosted chemist

boosted chemist

FTS 40b 11-12-11-

2a134bbc.jpg

d274f520.jpg

FTS 29 5-11 to 11-11

5fa9a243.jpg

FTS 20l 3-10 to 5-11

DSC00586.jpg

Equipment

AGA 40 breeder

Glass-holes 700 gph drain

Glass-holes 3/4 return

Custom homemade stand stained black.

AGA 15 sump with DIY baffles (chaeto refuge)

BRS single chamber reactor with carbon and GFO

Reef octopus Nw110 skimmer

Mag 5 return pump

MP10w es

Heater

Lighthing

sun dial t5 36"

KZ fiji purple

GM Actinic plus x2

ATI blue plue

current blue led strip

Fish

Picasso Percula pair

Mandarin Dragnet (Blood worm trained)

Chalk Bass

Snails (Turbos, asteria, certs, nassrius and florida fighting conch)

Coral

LPS

todds torch

Orange torch with purple tips

Green torch with gold tips

purple green duncan

neon green candy cane

green and purple hammer

green and purple frogspawn

Tyree war coral

Acans

Fruity pebbles

ARC carnival candy

ARC Happy endingz

Blood money

Zoa/paly

RPE

Nuke greens

24k gold

Rainbow raptors

Purple death

Hawaiian PE

My Clementine

Electric strawberries

Purple nurple

Real Radioactive dragon eyes.

SPS

ORA Plum purple

ORA Red planet

ORA Pink lemonade

Palmer blue milipora

Red milipora

Tyree Tricolor

Sunset monti

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see a new 20L! That is a great piece of rock.

I would say if the 10 is up running for a while, let the 20 sit for a couple to 3 weeks just to make sure the rock is cured and you have no die off. Once you feel confident there will be no more die off, you can merge the two.

following along...

boosted chemist
Great to see a new 20L! That is a great piece of rock.

I would say if the 10 is up running for a while, let the 20 sit for a couple to 3 weeks just to make sure the rock is cured and you have no die off. Once you feel confident there will be no more die off, you can merge the two.

following along...

The 10 has been running for prob 2-3 weeks (like i said i had to get my stuff out quick). Thanks for your response your tank and voilinist tank have been inspirational to build a 20l.

Nice Acans.

Now how about a better camera. ;)

Yeah my camera and skills sucks, its an old cybershot 4.1mp. I wil ltry to clean the glass a bit more and maybe tongiht toss on the LEDs to get the full acan experience.

The 10 has been running for prob 2-3 weeks (like i said i had to get my stuff out quick). Thanks for your response your tank and voilinist tank have been inspirational to build a 20l.

Yeah my camera and skills sucks, its an old cybershot 4.1mp. I wil ltry to clean the glass a bit more and maybe tongiht toss on the LEDs to get the full acan experience.

It's not the camera-

Set it in macro mode so it will focus at closer distances - that should help a lot

Do you have a tripod you could use?

Thanks! I agree with Kayl - I find that if you have a point and shoot, first - reset the camera to factory. This clears anything you have done. Then make sure not to use digital zoom (I actually try not to use any zoom at all) Set it to Macro mode. Tripod is best, but if you don't have one, try resting the camera on the glass. Focus with P&S is probably most important. Usually they have a feature that if you hold the button down halfway, it will focus and then take the pic. Once you have them on the computer, you can crop to get the shots you want. The only thing I really play with is the white balance.

Honestly, I wish I could get better shots too - but with the P&S, I figure they are OK at least.

• 2 weeks later...
boosted chemist
diggin' those acans under actnics!

The scape is really turning out great!!!!!!

Thanks man,

Been doing water changes 5g every 3 days trying to fight this damn hair algae. I have a TON of pods on my glass, i guess thats a good thing. So my CUC is 2 turbos and 9 asteria and 3 blue legs, You guys think i need more?

boosted chemist
Thanks man,

Been doing water changes 5g every 3 days trying to fight this damn hair algae. I have a TON of pods on my glass, i guess thats a good thing. So my CUC is 2 turbos and 9 asteria and 3 blue legs, You guys think i need more?

Did some water testing

ca 460 ppm

nh3 .5 ppm :angry: (api test sucks? kinda cloudy)

No3 5-10 ppm

po4 .25-.5

ph 8.4

Guess its time to do another change.... How long can i go with out feeding my acans? I think that causing my readings, when i drop pellets the clowns dont let them touch the sand so there is almost no waste, where rods food good but makes a mess (spikes)

Thanks man,

Talk to John at ReefCleaners.org - he will tell you what he thinks the CUC should be.

The acans should be OK with once a week target feeding... How often have you been feeding?

boosted chemist
Talk to John at ReefCleaners.org - he will tell you what he thinks the CUC should be.

The acans should be OK with once a week target feeding... How often have you been feeding?

Been feeding 3 times a week lol, I want those suckers to grow. I need to hit him up, how are his prices? I mean it seems funny buying 1 dollar snails online, but everone seems to recommend him.

boosted chemist
How come you want to ditch the blenny?

Its not that i want to ditch him, i just want to keep my options open. I mean only so much bioload a tank can take and i would like interesting fish. He has the personality but not the color. Maybe im just being an idiot. Eventually i want a manderin, yes i know, i may get one and toss it in a breeder net and try to train it. I think thoe ORA ones are going to be pricey.

My bigger clown keeps on beating up the little one, kinda sad. He is cornered in a cave and when he tries to exit the other one chases him back in. No serious damage but it agrivates me. The little clown came from my gf tank and was getting beat up by a larger clown (he was the third clown so i figured he was odd man out in the dating game.)

boosted chemist
Its not that i want to ditch him, i just want to keep my options open. I mean only so much bioload a tank can take and i would like interesting fish. He has the personality but not the color. Maybe im just being an idiot. Eventually i want a manderin, yes i know, i may get one and toss it in a breeder net and try to train it. I think thoe ORA ones are going to be pricey.

My bigger clown keeps on beating up the little one, kinda sad. He is cornered in a cave and when he tries to exit the other one chases him back in. No serious damage but it agrivates me. The little clown came from my gf tank and was getting beat up by a larger clown (he was the third clown so i figured he was odd man out in the dating game.)

I traded in my starfish, got a dunkin along with a flame angle, man is this fish sweet. Ive been eying them up for a while and my lfs had a small energetic one. Pics later

boosted chemist

Did some more water changes, nothing really new. I got my hair algae almost completely gone, im starting to get scared teh lawnmower will run out of food. He has a rather cool personality too. I also just made some Mg dosing stuff from lab chemicals (fringe benifits). I need to order some more CUC from reefcleaners though the recommended amount seems rather high for a 20 gal.

10 Dwarf Ceriths - small effective cleaners

9 Nassarius

5 Florida Ceriths

6 Blue Legs - should help with hair algae

1 Chiton - same as ^^

3 Large Nerite and 3 Small to medium Nerites

Mind you i have 2 turbos (going to get rid of these big retards) 8 astrellias (sp) and three hermits.

boosted chemist
any problems with the flame and the coral?

No none as of so far. I did feed my fav acan and he stole a piece of food, but other than he is cool. Swims like whoa lol. My big clown corners my little clown in a cave all day, and at night they swim together, weird.

Archived