inTank Media Baskets

Coral? At Reefcleaners?!?

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

I held it after that email exchange. i havent had a chance to drive up there to look for it on a shell yet, it has been a busy week. i will try heading up there today, I have to meet with a guy about new tanks, and a shelf guy first, and then I will make the trip for sure. Will let you know how it goes. Should be getting back in around midnight or so.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I held it after that email exchange. i havent had a chance to drive up there to look for it on a shell yet, it has been a busy week. i will try heading up there today, I have to meet with a guy about new tanks, and a shelf guy first, and then I will make the trip for sure. Will let you know how it goes. Should be getting back in around midnight or so.

Oh okay, no rush I just thought it had shipped because of the email. You had me worried lol.

johnmaloney

no they sold out quick, a few days or so tops. I didn't have many, I will only collect a few every so often. I have some really cool pistols though. A mated pair, and a few newly settled and some "regular sized regular ones" :) (regular = conforms to product description and picture). 5-6 mm max. I have them on a shrimp diet now and they seem to be growing at a decent pace. Many of the tiny guys are the brown and blue color variation that is particularly cool. Also have the world's smallest sea hares in stock (literally and they will stay that way), and a few oddball starfish that laskshwadeep would not approve of. Other than that I have kept to the basics.

no they sold out quick, a few days or so tops. I didn't have many, I will only collect a few every so often. I have some really cool pistols though. A mated pair, and a few newly settled and some "regular sized regular ones" :) (regular = conforms to product description and picture). 5-6 mm max. I have them on a shrimp diet now and they seem to be growing at a decent pace. Many of the tiny guys are the brown and blue color variation that is particularly cool. Also have the world's smallest sea hares in stock (literally and they will stay that way), and a few oddball starfish that laskshwadeep would not approve of. Other than that I have kept to the basics.

Sea hares eh...reef safe? "Worlds smallest" intrigues me...

johnmaloney

yeah, sea hares like hair algae. they eat a ton for their size. you can feed them ulva afterward. which tank has the problem?

My 24g. Well some may be bryopsis too. How do they do against that? I tried raising the mag and it didn't do much :(

johnmaloney

I don't think they eat it, I have had people tell me mixed results though. I looked at the thread, the Koralias may be trouble, a larger sea hare would do better. The white spotted is so small it would just crawl into the powerhead. The loose frags might get knocked about, I would secure them first. Any good hair algae eater would do it though, the acans were just sort of perched on the rock when I saw it.

I only saw normal hair algae. Maybe 2-3 weeks worth for a sea hare. Try to get one locally if you can, use it for a short time, and then donate it back to the LFS if you decide to go that route. Even if they don't normally keep them in stock, it should be something they can order.

It is actually a vortech. Oh and everything is actually glued and putty-ed down. Alright I will looks for one locally then. Or just keep trying my siphoning and water changes.

johnmaloney

Oh okay, good job with the glue then. if I glue something down, you can tell pretty easily. :)

When you are getting a sea hare try to get one from the Atlantic, I think there are some that come out of California that are temperate but make it to the trade. I guess if it is ordered you can't do much, but if you ask for something like a spotted sea hare that could help some. Here they love the warm water, no trouble keeping them for months at 80, (which is about their lifespan), and they regularly lay eggs at that temperature. But I read on Chuck's Addiction that some sea hares are temperate and have seen one sea hare that is from California sold online and I think that might be the trouble...anyway, just some tips.

Thanks!

Alright I will try. I am just worried about getting one, then id dieing in the tank, wouldn't it crash it?

Lettuce slugs are known to go after caulerpa, bryopsis, and chaetomorpha. Chloroplasts from other macros have been detected in them as well even though feeding activity on those is not as well documented.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/message/17626

John, this is why I'm after a decent culture of both clarki and crispata :) you can probably keep and ship them relatively well too with the overnight stipulation, since you already do sea hares.

johnmaloney

oh it was you who had wanted them. damned if I didnt bump into to two the next day, but I couldnt find the email....it was in this thread....sorry man. It was driving me nuts because of the coincidence.

everything eats bryopsis on the sea slug forum though, sea hares included.... :) Let me see a confirmed case of it eating B. pennata or plumosa and I will change my mind. :)

Sea hares get nasty when they die, but you are a pretty experienced aquarist. Just watch them, let him handle the algae and return him to the LFS as a donation so there is no question whether it will get a home. It will be a quick process. A medium sized ragged or spotted sea hare might take care of that in 2-3 weeks or less time. Hard to gauge how much they eat, but I have like 18 sea hares in a tank that eat almost one pound of ulva a week. Varied sizes, but most medium or small. There are other options too that may work better, but I think we were on the topic of sea hares, or at least I was. If you read my product description to get an idea of their care, take it with a grain of salt. It is a pretty conservative description of their needs, I like to be overly cautious with those descriptions because better safer than sorry. The only thing that worries me in your setup is the Vortech, I thought it was a Koralia.

Plumosa is food for one of the two species, as juveniles anyway, according to a report from like 1978--back then they hadn't made the distinction between clarki and crispata. I can't find any reference to pennata in their feeding habits though.

Edit: Actually, this is more interesting.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/036500g403707223/

From that abstract, apparently crispata juveniles go after plumosa, clarki juveniles go after pennata. That's probably not a high amount of feeding, enough to control the bryopsis, though. But worth investigating, if one or both will feed on chaeto in the absence of bryopsis.

johnmaloney

Until I see it, or it happens in someone's aquarium that is experienced I don't believe it...lol! I have chased too many stories... I get that many animals will pick at it, but I mean finish it off. The Elysia ornatas eat it, but not much more damage then you could pluck in a second, ditto for chitons and even some hermits will pick at it. The west indian sea egg eats it, but it grows back... lots of picking, no finishing it off.

Have you personally witnessed a confirmed case of plumosa eating it down and finishing it off? If so, I am inclined to believe it. If not, I am will continue to be a skeptic until I am happily proven wrong. :) lol...

Now if anyone has a 1000 gallon tank with it, I can help you. A rudderfish will decimate it, I have seen school of them wipe out large patches of plumosa. They eat just about everything really.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm tilting at windmills or whatever, just that it's probably worth investigating, particularly if I can keep a breeding population on chaeto, that I can eventually pass around the local reef club.

Again, I've tried to get some but without ordering from people who collect directly from Keys I've gotten all sorts of weird stuff that's NOT Elysia crispata... last pair I got were a pair of sponge-feeding nudis, you can imagine my conversation over the phone on that one.

johnmaloney

That is funny because they look so different than other sea slugs. I guess I can understand that though, until you see the right one in person it is hard to tell when diving. Has those frills on the back though....dont see many other nudis with that.

2nd time is the charm

Wooo got it. I still wanted a mangrove or 2, but don't worry about it I can get them locally for nothing.

Now I have a stupid question....what do I do with the vines? :eek:

Archived