inTank Media Baskets

My 7.5g Mr. Aqua cube!

Clavius85

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bulldogpet

No need to bump up the Mg , Anytime you add base rock to an aquarium meaning dead white rock you are going to have green hair algae blooms and a few other kind of blooms it's normal. If you want to start over again then do it with fully cured live rock ( no base rock ) I would try to find live rock that has a lot of coraline algae on it. This method is the best way to avoid the green algae stage you will have some diatom blooms but it's normal. Don't give up grasshopper ;)

Also,

With the small amount of live rock you have in there now and all that base rock it's going to be months and a whole lot of algae battling before it becomes live.

It might be bryopsis. I'm not sure.

Bryopsis typically looks a little like a fern in miniature - one strand with smaller bits coming from it to make a sort of 'leaf' of strands. MG is a good way to get rid of it.

I had similar algae problems early on - though looks like worse than yours - in my 7.5G Mr. Aqua (I went bowfront though). A CUC is the way to go, and crabs are the best for it. Between a bunch of hermits and a red mithrax crab they have entirely eliminated the GHA except for a little tuft in the shade. My tank got this bad (day I added more CUC including the crabs):

fts1.28.10.jpg

Then there was some bryopsis, I did a little manual removal (no scrubbing though), cranked the MG, and the CUC started eating it up. Had disappeared in less than 2 weeks.

Clavius85

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm not sure if it's regular GHA or if it's bryopsis. Hard to tell. Anyway, I may end up taking the tank down simply because I may not have time in the future to maintain two tanks. I know for sure that I don't have time to crank up the Mg and monitor all of that. So I'll give it some more time and see if the tank improves at all.

ThrivingNanoTang

Do you have any CUC other than that peppermint scrimp? I had a lot of algae in my 4g. I took my rock out, scrubbed it with a vegetable brush (or toothbrush), rinsed it with RO water and put it back in with my 3 blue hermits and 1 emerald crab. It's been a couple of months and i have yet to see any algae.

Also, i think the amount of time to maintain 1 or 2 tanks is nearly the same, unless they are in separate buildings. Think about it, what part of maintenance takes the longest? Probably mixing water up. Mixing up 5g of change water or 7g of change water is going to take the same amount of time. You have a sweet tank, i'd give it another couple months before you decide to sell it off. Unless you need to pay the rent, of course.

• 1 month later...

This tank still exists. BUT, my Coralife PC fixture seems to have died. It simply will not come on. I've tried it on different outlets to no avail. Anybody else have this problem?

did you ever figure out that algae problem? I feel like I have the same thing in my tank. Pretty sure it's not bryopsis

Nope. Never figured out the algae problem. However, in all honesty I haven't been doing regular water changes on this tank as I've been focused on my main tank.

Archived