inTank Media Baskets

My 7.5g Mr. Aqua cube!

Clavius85

lol I believe the current USA bulbs help a little, but they didnt help me much. its still fairly hot on my pico.

either somehow suspend that light or use the legs, its up to you :D

But how are you supposed to use Current bulbs on this fixture? This light uses straight pin bulbs and I only see square pin bulbs from Current.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just placed an order for the same tank. Keep us posted on yours.

Nice. I think you'll be happy with it.

Still waiting on my rock from Reefcleaners. Once I get it I'll get this thing up and running. I hope to minimize the cycle time by using some live rock and water from my Solana. And then eventually I'll catch my Peppermint Shrimp and this will be his new home.

Crackerballer

I have the same tank, same light, so AC filter, and I'm also going to paint it black on the back.... if I even set it up at all now! I also bought the Current USA dual satellite used. I am going to mod it to run off of 1 power cord for the PCs and one for the LED.

The AC Mod is EASY. Some snips and super glue and you can do it in 30 minutes.

If I set the tank up, I will have black back, black sand, probably rock very similar to yours, and will paint the intake of the AC black as well. I want it to be very clean looking. Looks like you have a great start.

I also bought the Current USA dual satellite used.

You're lucky to get your hands on. I sure wish Current still made them. :angry:

Closer...

IMG_1441.jpg?t=1270685386

I'm waiting on some more RO/DI water so I can fill it up completely. But it's up and running at the moment with water from a water change I just did on my Solana. I still need to order the mounting legs for my light though.

Tank is up and running. All I need to do is put some live rock in it to start seeding the dry rock. Pictures when I get home from work.

IMG_1447.jpg?t=1270862815

I put two small pieces of live rock from my Solana into the tank. Do you think this will be enough to get the biological filtration going? I plan on leaving this thing alone for at least a month before adding any livestock.

youre gonna need a source of ammonia in there i think to feed the bacteria thats in your live rock that you transfered, cuz right now theyre starving in a brand new tank. throw a market prawn in there (in a container w/ holes) to feed the bacteria and help them grow.

OR

You can test your water for the next week and add a snail or something that produces waste once the ammonia and nitrite are 0.

youre gonna need a source of ammonia in there i think to feed the bacteria thats in your live rock that you transfered, cuz right now theyre starving in a brand new tank. throw a market prawn in there (in a container w/ holes) to feed the bacteria and help them grow.

I'm pretty sure that the tank will cycle by itself with the live rock from my other tank. I know about the raw shrimp method. But everything I've ever read suggested to me that the tank will still cycle by itself. :)

I ordered the mounting legs for the my light. So they should be here by the end of the week.

Here are some pics:

IMG_1450.jpg?t=1271026854

IMG_1448.jpg?t=1271026874

I finally ordered the basic mounting legs for my Coralife light and received them today. And GOOD LORD were they difficult to install! :angry: I thought they were just going to slide in to the grooves on the light. But nooooo you have to put these stupid metal things in the groove first and then guesstimate where you want the legs before you screw the legs into the metal pieces. Ugh! I will NEVER buy another Coralife fixture. I really wish Current was still making the 12" Satellite. Anyway, end rant. The tank is cycling at the moment and I'll probably throw a few snails in there soon and see how they do.

IMG_1453.jpg?t=1271216785

LogansRunRx

following...

great avatar -> i love pappy!

live in Lexington for 4 years from 1999 thru 2003. good times.

tank looks great. i'm a big fan of the Mr. Aqua glass. saw it on MarineDepot a while back. eventually want to get the 40breeder-ish size tank.

before u go off and mod the coralife fixture...

check this out -> NanoTuners PCRs from UVL

they are staight pin and put out about 50% more PAR than PCs from either Coralife or Current.

should be available in a month or so...

cheers...

Awesome! I wondered how long it would take for someone to figure out my avatar. For those who aren't familiar with bourbon whiskey, my avatar is the late "Pappy" Van Winkle. Famous for his stellar 15, 20 and 23-year old bourbons.

I knew about upcoming UVL bulbs for another fixture but I didn't know that there were going to be straight pin bulbs that would work with this light. I'll definitely consider ordering some. Thanks!

I finally ordered the basic mounting legs for my Coralife light and received them today. And GOOD LORD were they difficult to install! :angry: I thought they were just going to slide in to the grooves on the light. But nooooo you have to put these stupid metal things in the groove first and then guesstimate where you want the legs before you screw the legs into the metal pieces. Ugh! I will NEVER buy another Coralife fixture. I really wish Current was still making the 12" Satellite. Anyway, end rant. The tank is cycling at the moment and I'll probably throw a few snails in there soon and see how they do.

IMG_1453.jpg?t=1271216785

Wow, looks much cleaner with the black background, Is picture tanking with filter and power head off? Don't see any flow

Wow, looks much cleaner with the black background, Is picture tanking with filter and power head off? Don't see any flow

Nope, picture was taken with the filter and powerhead on.

My pico has gained two new residents! A Six-Line Wrasse and a Peppermint Shrimp. Both were causing trouble in my Solana and had to be removed. This pico is the only other tank I have so they are temporarily in it.

nice tank..i was thinking about getting that MrAqua 25g cube...

nice to see a fellow Kentuckian. I went to UK from 97-2000.

GO WILDCATS..

pictures please!

Working on it! :)

Nice! Can't wait to see yours stocked. It really is a great looking tank.

Thanks!

nice tank..i was thinking about getting that MrAqua 25g cube...

nice to see a fellow Kentuckian. I went to UK from 97-2000.

GO WILDCATS..

Nice!

I've discovered that there is one thing that I really don't like about this tank. And that is the amount of evaporation I'm having to deal with. I'm topping off about a 1/2 gallon per day. That is just crazy. I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't afford to put an ATO on this thing when I don't even have one on my main tank.

I've discovered that there is one thing that I really don't like about this tank. And that is the amount of evaporation I'm having to deal with. I'm topping off about a 1/2 gallon per day. That is just crazy. I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't afford to put an ATO on this thing when I don't even have one on my main tank.

You're getting that much evaporation?? That's insane. I haven't noticed that much evap in mine. What temp is your tank running at?

Archived