Innovative Marine Aquariums

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

stupid bleepingbleepedy ###########

silicone is back ordered or something. wont ship for a couple more days.

getting this done by the 15 of may and packing may be pushing things. blasted @#@#$%%#$%^^&^%$#@@!

oh well. gives time to sand. :lol:

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stupid bleepingbleepedy ###########

silicone is back ordered or something. wont ship for a couple more days.

getting this done by the 15 of may and packing may be pushing things. blasted @#@#$%%#$%^^&^%$#@@!

oh well. gives time to sand. :lol:

whats so special about the silicone that you cant pick it up locally?

silicone is dow 999a black.

honestly never even thought about looking around here. every time i go into a hardware store & ask questions about silicone. the guy gets this weird look on his face, like his brain just feel out his ear. and dont get me started about the fun that can be had at home depot. im sure that i could have gotten it someware around town. but theres enough else going on with other things, that i just took the easy way on this one.

the 999a is one of dow strongest silicones and i want the exo to be bomb prof.

p.s. how the sump nemmy?

silicone is dow 999a black.

honestly never even thought about looking around here. every time i go into a hardware store & ask questions about silicone. the guy gets this weird look on his face, like his brain just feel out his ear. and dont get me started about the fun that can be had at home depot. im sure that i could have gotten it someware around town. but theres enough else going on with other things, that i just took the easy way on this one.

the 999a is one of dow strongest silicones and i want the exo to be bomb prof.

p.s. how the sump nemmy?

Ahh your looking for a specific kind, that could make it harder. Love the look of the black silicone.

Check my thread for sump update. I dont wana trash your thread with my problems lol

yeah im hoping the black matches up alright with the paint. its gonna suck if they dont match up, but ehh.

yeah im hoping the black matches up alright with the paint. its gonna suck if they dont match up, but ehh.

Black is black IMO. I dont see why not.

Are there different shades of black besides gloss and flat?

when your looking thru to the back of the tank then there's only gloss. and yeah black is black is what i was thinkin. of corse theres been lots of times in the last couple days weeks were i havent been thinking, like when i signed a lease for an apartment on the 3rd floor with out an rodi setup. thats how many stairs, with how many gallons.

when your looking thru to the back of the tank then there's only gloss. and yeah black is black is what i was thinkin. of corse theres been lots of times in the last couple days weeks were i havent been thinking, like when i signed a lease for an apartment on the 3rd floor with out an rodi setup. thats how many stairs, with how many gallons.

Sit jugs/buckets outside the window and hoist them up with a rope lmao!

these are pics of the tank that got the idea of doing a29 in my head. the only thing i didnt like was how the clear silicone seemed to almost glow.

29g%20w%20stand%20hood%203.jpg

29g%20w%20stand%20hood%202.jpg

this was ahy i went with black, hope it works. well see though.

some thoughts on silicone

A club member pointed this online article out to me after reading this thread.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/2781...glass-tank.html

I'll cut and paste the excerpt thats most interesting.

"More information on silicone

I spent an hour an hour on the phone with an industrial application silicone guru at GE, and got the real low down on silicone. Here are some fun facts from that call:

1) No manufacturer will tell you their silicone works underwater, since they all degrade underwater over time. Only someone OEM'ing silicone will make that claim.

2) Silicone's primary strength is to itself, not what it is bonded too. So if it starts to pull away in a spot in an aquarium, it is almost certainly not going to "snap" with the tension, creating only a small leak. It will hold together in one piece and if more pressure is applied will continue to tear away from the glass instead, creating a potentially catastrophic leak instead.

3) GE’s SCS1200 has their highest adhesion strength, twice that of their commercial grades, and an unspecified amount over their consumer grades.

4) Silicone's adhesion strength in general does not approach its tensile strength. If you lay down a bead on top of some glass, you will be able to pull it up much easier than getting it to snap while pulling it.

5) The aquarium application requires silicones weakest strength, adhesion. This explains why all tank manufacturers all lay down a nice wide seam along the bottom edges of the tank. That's not just to fight water pressure, that's also to provide more adhesion surface to keep the bottom edges from ripping apart.

6) Silicone bonds very well to silicone, but much less well to anything else... like glass.

7) SCS1200 will only cure to a 1/4" depth. So under 1/2" thick glass, there can be no excess on either side while it cures. And that is 5 days at 50% humidity - more days if the humidity is lower. "

Point number 1 is the same conclusion I had come to in my previous post.

Not saying this is gospel but just another bit of information.

Got a reply from DOW this morning.

"Dow Corning does not recommend the use of silicone materials for underwater applications. Silicones are permeable and the potential for loss of adhesion exists. For underwater urethanes you can contact Sika @ 800-688-7452 or Bostic @ 800-726-7845. These companies may have a product that will work for your application. Thank you for your interest in Dow Corning products.

Thank you for your inquiry."

Thats the entire email. Are urethanes even reef safe? I'll have to search the Intrawebs for more information.

hey nemmy this is were i first heared of the dow999a great read. makes me want to buy glass from nano paul just thinking about it.

and i wish i could quote this but its on another forum.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/2781...glass-tank.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-...ear-kahuna.html

and as a finnal thought on silicone. nano paul's most exellent thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...silicone+expert

animalmaster6

"And now for the most commonly perpetuated myth of all. Someone in the forum asks if they think it is possible to place a 120 gallon tank on the second floor of their apartment. The answers inevitably go something like this: "I see no reason you can't. I've had a 125 gallon aquarium in my bedroom for years."

Myth #17: "If my floor didn't collapse with a ??? gallon aquarium, then your floor should be okay too"

Since the person posting the question provides no information at all about the composition of the floor construction, the span of the floor framing or the relative position of the tank, there is just no way for anyone to provide a logical answer. Yet answers flow from people perfectly willing to compare apples to oranges to watermelons to come up with a recommendation. (And in this example the comparison is even a worse because the 125 gallon tank is 6 ft long and the 120 gallon tank is only 4 ft long.)"

:lol: :lol:

To do list.

Stand- temporary stand picked up yesterday. Should be ok until I can build the good one.

Lights- need to order, thinkin tek. With 2x blue+, a fiji purple, & a blue special.

Overflow- a sanding I shall go. Silicone still has not arrived. Still need get time to find some dimanod files.

Display fuge- may have to wait but can easaly be added later. Just use the ten for now.

animalmaster6

That's a pretty sweet tank. Thanks for sharing it.

Seems your to do list is fairly large.

I'm trying to save up for a Calcium Reactor and ozonator. I really want a calcium reactor.

omg would i go for a calc reactor. been wanting one for like 2+ years. probable have to diy one though, $.

as to the ozone, may need to do some research into this. but i think i remeber hearing something about it being bad for the skimmer body if not done right .

on a bright note.

plumbing parts showed up. :)

down side wrong parts. :(

If I rember right there's a section in feners book about it. Basicly you have to be carefull & set it up right. When I set up my 75 I plane to run it. Just do it right and is all good.

I'd check but the books packed.

Wahooo!!!!!!!

Got silicone, Got diamond files, time to cut some glass, and finish that wier.

Am as to ozone its bad for the seals & rubber o rings which can be replaced. Checked conscientious marine aquarist.

For calc reactor, I like the look of the koralin (just the small one). But aquaC has a new one that looks good too. What I like about the koralin is the pump is above the water. So if you have to do any fiddling you don't drain the reactor.

Bleepedy bleep bleepp......

So I have time & supplies to work on the wier. What does it do? It snows....

Stupid colorado weather.

Archived