Cultivated Reef

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea, thats why im so into the bonsai thing. looks good more rock for fish & corals. plus the jeubert system is limited in biolad. just trying to figure out how to do boht styles together. thus floting rocks.

this is why im think about having the rocks suported above the sand a couple inches. with a semi flat shelf of some form. may need to diy some rock for this or slate tile. my concern is that the flow under the shelf may be intensafied, making it undesirable to fish while reducing fauna and blowing sand everywhere.

thinkin acrylic rods or pvc coming up from a base straight on the glass, suporting the rocks would prevent the stability issues. then maby coat it with cement to make it look like rock but still thinking about it, after all it will be a while befor im there.

after all i bought the 29 in 07, aparently im not in a rush.

animalmaster6

I recommend thorite cement.

I'm making bridges, caves, and towers with it.

Dires in 9 hours and is completely non toxic.

Check out Carl's 150 gallon and Carl's 300 gallon. He used and look at his tanks, they are absolutely stunning!

www.reefvideos.com

the rock work in the 150 is almost exactly what i was thinkin, just want the rock to be ilimited to the lower half of the tank. but still keeping the swimspace underneath

not sure but im working off the premiss that bonsai means sculpted, enginered, reinforsed scap. in an atempt to create more natural & benifical tank. where flow, habitat, and growth have been taken into acount.

as aposed to a pile o rock.

things that would be indicative of this are shelfs or tables, large overhangs, well biult caves and such.

well kinda.

think of it as a main suport with shelfs coming off of it to place corals on. fish to swim under and around.

just like in actual bonsai your limitation is your own ability to see the shape that can be.

like in your big tank you could probable do two nice big ones and a few shorter ones to add depth. with peices (tables) overlaping almost.

bonsai-tree.jpg

or

171572729_4755171647_o.jpg

more like this but with the lowest shelves an inch or two above the sand.

animalmaster6

Ok....

So in the middle there will be a giant tower with any caves and other hiding spots. On the right there will be a very large island with many incropping caves and plateaus. On the left there is going to be something a lot like this: http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_philosophy.htm. The island to the left except with three peninsulas coming off the base. From the left and right there will be very high bridges to the large tower.

There will be a mini island in the middle of the one of the peninsulas on the left area. In between the right formation and the tower there will be two or three mini islands.

:D

Thoughts?

Can this be done with thorite cement?

like this one makes me think of aarons 47 gal column tank.

http://webclipart.about.com/library/cos/blsea5.htm

Lol it does!!

love the idea of the bridge's that will help naturalize the look i think. which will be the tallest and what do you see as being the limit for this highest point.

Archived