Innovative Marine Aquariums

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

I would only add to this not only your research but your experience. Because through your experience others may glean a different way of accomplishing a task.

This is a good point.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey bitts, what's up with this tank??

We need an UPDATE!!!

Pics would be awesome and stuff.

Just words are acceptable though, as long as there's enough of them.

Not that you have a problem with that or anything.

auto pilot & boring. All I do is top it off & give it vodka. feed the fish. you know, daily fun fun, yea... I baerly look at. About the only thing its good at this point is keeping me from sleeping in my bed. I've done everything I know of to make it quiet to no avail. Its still just enough noise that I end up using ear plugs. But then I can still hear the pump noise & such coming through the bed despite the earplugs. & yes I am just a whiny little freak. But I like to sleep & I don't get that much to begin with. I'm close to starting the 75. But with it having been a free tank thats sat awhile I plan on doing an extra long wet test before anything else & the nights are still cold enough that I worry about the water freezing mid test. But as soon I know its solid & I don;t have to rebiuld the tank. I'm going to start cutting her up. I'm kinda sol on the glass I got for it. since it's about 1/2" & after talking to Paul I don't think it will cut well. its from a 90gal rimless that had a plywood base, which eventually rotted out. It was actually being used as a turtl tank for my cousins snapping turtle. The things like 2 & 1/2 feet with just the shell. But the glass is still good. so I'm going to see. I'm just hoping that the silicone is still godd since it was built in 1986. Paul may be right that I should just get some 1/4 inch & save the other stuff. maybe make a desk or something with it. I'm also hoping that switching to a wooden stand will help cut down some of the noise, since the last two place's I can cut noise with out buying new pumps & such. Are the lid which seems to amplify the vortech considerably, much like I've found its placement on the glass to effect the volume & pitch it produces. Then the other is the stand in that the vibrations seem to reverberate through it, leading me to have things placed just so to dampen the vibrations.

As far as the livestock goes over all things seem well. I redid the scape, AGAIN. to find something to improve the lps. which has helped but it led to an issue with the Helfrichs, in that I had had some pvc tube in from when the bluespot was using them. Which had then become their home. but with this last scape they seem to have had issues with sharing teratory which requiered pulling it out. Meaning that I just upended a 6 inch dsb that just recovering from the last time it was moved. So we'll see how it goes but so far so good. But this whole thing has led me to decide that I'm going to set up a second tank for the smaller Helfrich when the 75 goes up. Probably to be the helfrich, a Yashi & like 15 sexy's. with the most complicated coral in it being the candy cane & ric's out of the 29. The good part is I still have my old 10x10 in the closet. so it won't take much to set it up, beyond finding a stand.

I'm planing to run the 75 as a bare bottom, using the display lights for both the disply & the fuge. Since after talking to Ben a bit about things. I don't think I can necessarily keep the sand clean enough to have a functonal dsb even in the 75. At least not If I need to be able to move it. Due to it being a frog/hammer/torch biotope if only so I don't have to spen any money. But also because I think I need to learn to keep the lps & have them be Fully happy & not treat them like their sps because I can get away with it. so until I finish school again I think this will be the way I go. keeping sand in the fuge only. possibly even keeping a separate sand bed tank/bucket. doing an lps biotope & a shrimp tank.

Over all the only real problem I'm having is keeping my self from picking up the tangs I want while the only place I have to put them is the 29.

Look at that I wrote another book masquerading as a post.

Weetabix7

Honestly, it confuses me a bit to hear you say you wanna go BB when you've been such a huge proponent of sandbeds.

I love the effectiveness of sand, But I've never hidden the fact that aesthetically I prefer bb. Plus with as often as I may be moving over the next few years. A sand bed may actually be more harmful than not. With it never having time to establish it's self & become functional, while still accumulating the sediment. releasing the nutrients back into the water column. But trust me this has not been a choice I've relished & I do not look forward to returning to the land of water changes.

Mini-Dude
I love the effectiveness of sand, But I've never hidden the fact that aesthetically I prefer bb. Plus with as often as I may be moving over the next few years. A sand bed may actually be more harmful than not. With it never having time to establish it's self & become functional, while still accumulating the sediment. releasing the nutrients back into the water column. But trust me this has not been a choice I've relished & I do not look forward to returning to the land of water changes.

Well you could do a thin sand bed like mine, 1/2 in, an gt lost of Nass snails and not worry about cleaning it

animalmaster6

Sounds like the livestock is doing alright. Are the frogspawn still sad looking?

Where are you moving to?

In the near future I'm not moving but, being a student Its to where ever the rents cheapest.

The frogspawn is looking better but If I turn the flow down much lower than the sandbed will not have the needed flow. so this would be one of the main thoughts behind going bb. I'm going to learn how to make the lps look like this yet.

img9052v.jpg

From a thread shown to me by nOrk.

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...45&t=226574

Weetabix7
In the near future I'm not moving but, being a student Its to where ever the rents cheapest.

The frogspawn is looking better but If I turn the flow down much lower than the sandbed will not have the needed flow. so this would be one of the main thoughts behind going bb. I'm going to learn how to make the lps look like this yet.

img9052v.jpg

From a thread shown to me by nOrk.

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...45&t=226574

:o:oomgomgomg

Exactly.

I have over 30 heads of lps in mine. So if I can figure out how to do that with them. life would be great.

• 2 years later...

School & life conspiring against the tank, has forced it to move over to fish only. Current plan for the system is to become the fuge on a 55 build I have going, but had to start over when the old tank started leaking. Build must wait till after finals unfortunately. Have a new 55 from a dollar per gallon sale, hopefully this one won't leak. Plan for the 29 will be to do a dedicated macro tank.

Archived