Top Shelf Aquatics

Kent marine Nano Reef Part A and B

chucktdbm321

chucktdbm321

what do you guys think of this stuff????

Ive been using it for the past 5 months with great results and its soo simple to use and keeps the calc and alk in good parameters and with living at college with a 10g nano its very convienent

chucktdbm321
I used it for a while and then switched to B-ionic. I have had much better results with the B-ionic.

Well im more than half way through my Kent brand and i looked up the B-ionic and it had great reviews on several sites so ill give it a try

Amphiprion1

IME, it all works the same. The only thing I don't like about the Nano A and B is that it has a bunch of extras in it. Even the homemade stuff will have a few unwanted extras as impurities, but at least you aren't intentionally adding more. Anything that says "has extra 'trace elements'" is a red flag for me...

chucktdbm321
IME, it all works the same. The only thing I don't like about the Nano A and B is that it has a bunch of extras in it. Even the homemade stuff will have a few unwanted extras as impurities, but at least you aren't intentionally adding more. Anything that says "has extra 'trace elements'" is a red flag for me...

so true many supplements come with unwanted amounts of filler that you cant test for and such

What about reef crystals with extra trace elements? thats all I use now nothing else added I have had great results!!

Edited by Mkus
lakshwadeep
What about reef crystals with extra trace elements? thats all I use now nothing else added I have had great results!!

That's a salt mix, which is different than a supplement. All salt mixes are very close to natural seawater compositions, but the "reef" versions usually have higher things like calcium.

Amphiprion1

Many salt mixes have more than enough, but it works differently than a supplement. With a salt mix, you level things back out, because you are doing water changes and nothing really builds up more than it already was. With additives, you get that effect of increasing over time. Depending on the increases, water changes may or may not keep up with it (though I'd imagine large ones probably would, but you'd have to do the dilution math and know the concentration to start with to found out for sure).

The only extras in Reef Crystals that I'm aware of are extra calcium (good), magnesium (good), and vitamins (who knows--may degrade quickly), None of those are trace elements, though. They are all very major ones. I'm not sure of what, if any, other metals are elevated in Reef Crystals, say, when compared to Instant Ocean.

Edit: oops. I didn't see your reply until afterwards, lakshwadeep

Edited by Amphiprion1

Out of all the answers this guy has the BEST idea, change water. The end.

Amphiprion1

Water changes are almost always good, but they aren't always able to keep up with demand. If I had to rely on water changes alone, I'd have to change ~30% every 3-4 days to keep up with demand--that's 60% per week on a 60g total system, so 36 gallons. That gets expensive, at least for me. If the tank doesn't have much calcification going on (or it is pretty small), then water changes, especially with an enriched salt, would be more than enough. If you are doing water changes for the sole purpose of maintaining levels, though, you could get by even more cheaply with a homemade supplement for calcium and alkalinity. Either way, though. The only downside I've had with doing water changes exclusively like that was that the tank is at the mercy of the salt mix in terms of what its parameters are. Considering how variable they can be (especially with spiked batches), it turned out to be a problem for me.

Water changes are almost always good, but they aren't always able to keep up with demand. If I had to rely on water changes alone, I'd have to change ~30% every 3-4 days to keep up with demand--that's 60% per week on a 60g total system, so 36 gallons. That gets expensive, at least for me. If the tank doesn't have much calcification going on (or it is pretty small), then water changes, especially with an enriched salt, would be more than enough. If you are doing water changes for the sole purpose of maintaining levels, though, you could get by even more cheaply with a homemade supplement for calcium and alkalinity. Either way, though. The only downside I've had with doing water changes exclusively like that was that the tank is at the mercy of the salt mix in terms of what its parameters are. Considering how variable they can be (especially with spiked batches), it turned out to be a problem for me.

Can I see a pic of the tank, two part is the way I go on my bigger tanks, the 10 gets fed pappone and flakes, and WC. Unless you have sps I am curious as to what is using all that nutrients.

Amphiprion1
Can I see a pic of the tank, two part is the way I go on my bigger tanks, the 10 gets fed pappone and flakes, and WC. Unless you have sps I am curious as to what is using all that nutrients.

I'll dig up a pic--though I'm honestly holding out until it looks a bit better, since I had been neglecting it for a good while (~ 1 year :( ) and most of the frags are recent rescues. There's basically nothing but a handful of relatively fast-growing frags--almost all of which are sps. I have a few older LPS left over from my old 75 that survived the crash, but they don't make any major demands. In the past in the current tank, there were severe precipitation problems in the sand bed, but after replacing large portions, that has stopped. It consumed much more then than it does now, though.

Edit: I meant to provide details about my 2 part usage. I'm currently having to use ~65 mL of recipe 1 to maintain alkalinity. Calcium stays stable over time. I'm using a LiterMeter III and remote pumps to dose everything. This keeps my calcium at around 450 ppm and alkalinity ~9 dKH.

It's nothing special, but I enjoy it. You'll see where the rescued and/or neglected frags are trying to make a comeback. Here's a pic:

DSC_0017-2.jpg

Edited by Amphiprion1
NirvanaandTool

I used to use Kent Nano A and B but I switched to Brightwells A and B. Seen better results and get a lot more for your money too.

Falcon_Punch

Brigtwells A&B does well.the only bad I've experienced is that it'll fall out of solution and form calcium chunks in the bottle so I shake them up whenever I'm around the tank.

• 11 years later...

I used this nano a.b I dosed as said on the bottle 30 minutes later my pulsing zenia shriveled and went grey took water a test alk was 16 cal 240 mag 1140 what happened here was cal and mag so out of wack that alk spiked to raise these other 2 elements?

19 minutes ago, Joshb said:

I used this nano a.b I dosed as said on the bottle 30 minutes later my pulsing zenia shriveled and went grey took water a test alk was 16 cal 240 mag 1140 what happened here was cal and mag so out of wack that alk spiked to raise these other 2 elements?

Alk is linked to calcium. It sounds like you dosed to much which crashed the Ca (precipitated perhaps?). Mg should be brought in range to help balance Alk and Ca.

You want to test your tank and find consumption and dose based off that. Never follow the 'dose this much for this many gallons'. If you have a nano and don't have a lot of hard stony corals or coralline algae then you may not need to dose at all and simply do regular water changes. 

Here is a guide to explain how all these elements are related and how they effect each other:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

FYI, do a water change to help bring your tank back to normal. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, filefishfinatic said:

this thread is 11 years old 

Zombie tread back from the dead lol I like it. 🧟

Side note I use Kent marine nano A&B with good results. I have a 5 gallon so my dosage is only a couple drops a week.

• Like 1