Pod Your Reef

Hitch-hiker Anemone

fishbutt

Hello!

At the begginning of this month I set up a 10 gallon reef with live rock and I've noticed a bunch of neat things coming from the rock ever since. I've had a bout with Aiptasia but I haven't seen any since I manually teased them from the rocks and removed them. In the past two days I've noticed another anemone growing on some rock in my tank. At first I thought it may be Aiptasia but I didn't have the chance to remove it... but then it began looking less and less like what I've seen before in my tank. The tentacles seem shorter than the Aiptasia I've seen and this thing has a central disk of sorts. Any one have any ideas???

post-51100-1268748334_thumb.jpg

post-51100-1268748340_thumb.jpg

cheryl jordan

Looks like another aiptaisa or majano. NR has a great library for identifing most pest. Either way you need to remove it. Not all aiptiasa or majano are going to look alike,

I used peppermint shrimp for aiptasia; had a few polyps in my tank (40B) got 3 shrimp and they were gone by the time the lights came on next day.

They are also funny to watch, they don't seem to have a sense of "right side up" and often you will see them swimming upside down.

There is also manual removal and chemicals; I wanted some shrimp any way and got them.

Oh no! It's surely an Aiptasia?? I thought I had some cool rock anemone... this one looks and acts so differently from the other glass anemones that I removed!

CorvetteJoe

That looks just like the baby majano (or aptasia, take your pick). You were asking about ways to kill them ? Joe's Juice works well. I asked for it at my local reef store and they had it behind the counter. It kills them FAST and doesn't harm the tank.

Another way, since I noticed that rock in the original pic has nothing else alive on it, remove it, dry it out GOOD, leave it out in the sun, etc so it whitens again, start over with that rock again. That way its ALL dead. I just did that to a rock that just WOULD NOT be rid of the stuff. I Juiced them, and they kept coming back. So I just took the rock out. Bye bye pests!

Archived