Cultivated Reef

My new DSLR setup!

Christopher Marks

Man I'd kill for a 60D. I keep secretly hoping my 40D will crap out so I can justify buying one.

If I were you having a 40D..I wouldnt even consider the 60D...save more and get the 7D..atleast it would be a much better upgrade. Canon really did a goofy thing sizing down and dumbing down its xxD line with this new 60D.

Sorry but I dont understand the move from the t2i to the 60D..they are almost the exact same camera. There is no better focus between them, resolution is the same, they both do the same video ability. I mean before the 60D you could say the upgrade was worth the much better build quality and larger size body to be more comfortable..Now they took that away. Plus they took away the Microadjustment that was in the 50D from the 60D(dumb), they made its burst lower then the 50D now its only 1.5FPS faster then the t2i. The 60D I think is a really nice camera if your just starting out and its your first DSLR. its just I dont understand the upgrade from the t2i..its almost like a linear move but you get a swivel screen

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canon really did a goofy thing sizing down and dumbing down its xxD line with this new 60D.

Yeah....they saved you about $500. Not exactly goofy

Sorry but I dont understand the move from the t2i to the 60D..they are almost the exact same camera.

Worked with all three - and the 60D sits firmly in the middle. If anything, I find the 7D over-priced and the odd duck of three because they are all using the same sensor and have virtually the same I.Q. My rule is I refuse to spend more than $1,000 on APS-C because I don't work for Sports Illustrated.

If I were you having a 40D..I wouldnt even consider the 60D...save more and get the 7D..atleast it would be a much better upgrade. Canon really did a goofy thing sizing down and dumbing down its xxD line with this new 60D.

They made the 60D smaller? :huh:

Well that changes everything :(

Yeah....they saved you about $500. Not exactly goofy

Worked with all three - and the 60D sits firmly in the middle. If anything, I find the 7D over-priced and the odd duck of three because they are all using the same sensor and have virtually the same I.Q. My rule is I refuse to spend more than $1,000 on APS-C because I don't work for Sports Illustrated.

umm the 60D is not $500 cheaper then the price the 50D was selling for around the same time of its release. it may be 500 less then the 7D but that it should be because the 7D is another level up....they took the level the 60D was and dumbed it down. the 7D would have been a much better upgrade due to..Better focus system, flash commander system, micro adjustment, 100% viewfinder, brighter viewfinder, much higher burst rate, much better build

Vic..the 60D is also no longer made of magnesium alloy..they are made from the plastic like the rebel line.

50Dv60D.jpg

Like I said..the 60D is a very nice camera if you start out with that one. or moving up from a Rebel XS,XT,XTi

Christopher Marks

Coming from a T2i, I'm really happy with what the 60D offers. The image sensor and image quality may ultimately be the same, but everything else it offers are worth the premium to me.

I couldn't believe how much nicer the build quality is. They may both have plastic bodies, but it's not the same plastic. The tolerances on seams and fit and finish are night and day difference. I felt like my T2i was getting really beat up, and I hadn't even had it a year. The 60D also has some basic weather/dust sealing, while the T2i has none.

The 60D is larger in hand and has nicer ergonomics, it fits me well and balances out my heavy 17-55 f2.8. The view finder is larger and brighter, and the AF point display is clearer. Having the control wheel on the back speeds things up, and dedicated LCD display on the top has been a lot more helpful than I imagined. Another plus I didn't consider is the battery. It uses the same battery as the 7D and 5D MkII, lasts about twice as long as the T2i's, and displays detailed information about battery life. The ISO settings are also far more customizable, with many more appropriate increments to choose from.

The swivel display is indispensable, I've been able to shoot from very unusual angles without the need to guess and check. I think it's very likely all of Canon's future DSLRs will adopt this.

The T2i is an exceptional value, but the 60D offers a premium experience in every way. I do wish they had given it a nicer AF upgrade, and kept micro adjustment, but for the price ($899!) I cannot complain. I can see how a 40D or 50D user could find the 60D disappointing, but Canon has a slightly different target user in mind. A 7D seems like a more appropriate upgrade for previous xxD users. Speaking of 7D's, I am very curious to see how Canon replaces it, because I like the direction they're going.

umm the 60D is not $500 cheaper then the price the 50D was selling for around the same time of its release. it may be 500 less then the 7D but that it should be because the 7D is another level up....they took the level the 60D was and dumbed it down. the 7D would have been a much better upgrade due to..Better focus system, flash commander system, micro adjustment, 100% viewfinder, brighter viewfinder, much higher burst rate, much better build

Vic..the 60D is also no longer made of magnesium alloy..they are made from the plastic like the rebel line.

50Dv60D.jpg

Like I said..the 60D is a very nice camera if you start out with that one. or moving up from a Rebel XS,XT,XTi

not to mention better imaging power provided by dual digic 4 processors, similar to the 1d mk4. no other canon dslr has the dual digics which is quite disappointing in the 5d mk2. this would be the actual reason behind the fps being much higher on the two cameras mentioned than the rest of the canon line... they are the only ones with the processing power. so for $500 more, you really are paying for a sports photography machine. if you have no need for shooting at very high speeds then the 60d should be more than enough for hobbyists.

edit: also forgot to mention the viewfinder coverage on the mk4 and 7d. 100% coverage is a huge advantage especially if you aren't huge on post-processing (like me). having shot with both, and a 50d, i'd say my top two were the 7d and 50d. small cameras just don't work for me. i like equipment that is $1000+ to feel like something that can handle a couple bumps, heavier lenses and occasional rain. what i always say though is to go to a good camera store and get a feel for the cameras you are interested in. your opinion on handling could be completely different from someone else's on an online forum.

who cares about the image processor. the only reason I could ever see a benefit to shooting JPG is if you need to squeeze off tons of shots so quickly that the write buffer is constantly getting filled. shoot RAW, otherwise.

who cares about the image processor. the only reason I could ever see a benefit to shooting JPG is if you need to squeeze off tons of shots so quickly that the write buffer is constantly getting filled. shoot RAW, otherwise.

The image processor he mentioned has nothing to do with jpg no one mentioned jpg..The dual Digic 4 chips is to handle the amount of data being thrown at it with 18mp and 8fps. If it was only a single chip it would have a much slower burst like the 60D has.

• 2 months later...
Christopher Marks

I recently traded my Canon 50mm f1.4 with someone locally for a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, and purchased a Sigma 30mm f1.4.

I'm absolutely in love with the 30mm lens, it's razor sharp, and provides a perfect 'normal' view while still being useful for portraiture. I love my 17-55mm to death, but it's big, heavy, and expensive, so the 30mm has become my walk around lens.

I was holding out for a Canon 10-22mm, but when the opportunity to trade (up) for the Sigma 10-20mm presented itself, it was a no brainer. I was never very happy with the Canon 50mm, and would have had to sell it at a loss on the used market. Besides the focal distance being way too long on a 1.6x crop body for anything but close up portraits, the autofocus was often quite inaccurate. I've been having fun with such a wide zoom, it's been a key element in a new project I'm working on.

In just two days I came to own two Sigma lenses, and so far I'm quite impressed.

Archived