Pod Your Reef

My new DSLR setup!

Christopher Marks

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
Christopher Marks

My new Canon 60D arrived yesterday, to replace my T2i. I'm really glad I started with the T2i, it's a pleasure to use and has nice ergonomics, but the 60D suits my needs a bit better. They have the same image sensor and image quality, but after handling a 60D I was convinced it was worth the upgrade (I found a killer deal on a new body for $899).

What first drew me to it was the better build quality, and the larger, brighter viewfinder. I was also really into the swivel screen, my very first digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 5700) had one, and I used it often. I've already been able to take shots from unusual angles using live view, no more guessing and checking. One feature that's really going to change my workflow is the dedicated AF button on the back. Being able to have the AF and shutter button work separately will help me tremendously with the live shows I've been shooting in dark venues.

Anyone want to buy a T2i kit? :D

I would keep it. I thought I would stop using the XSI when I got the 7D but I have taken to carrying them both so I don't have to switch lenses.

Christopher Marks

I've been debating keeping it as a backup, and to shoot events with two lenses, but I think I'd like to sell it while it's still worth a decent amount. I'm worried it will just end up collecting dust.

Deleted User 6

Do you actually shoot a lot of events where you would need a backup?

Otherwise, you could always just rent a backup body once in a while.

Deleted User 6
dhaut I think you're missing an important piece of information here.

That Punk'd is a tribute band? Nah, I caught that.

After my first comment, lol.

Christopher Marks

Oh I also picked up a Canon 50mm f1.4 two weeks ago for some portrait work. I felt bad always borrowing my friend's 50mm L series. I'm pretty happy with it so far, the bokeh is decent, focus is quick and quiet. I'm used to the build quality of some nicer lenses, but this one seems sturdy enough. I bought it locally last-minute before leaving town for a photo shoot. I would have liked to have had a chance to check out the Sigma 50mm 1.4 to really compare the two, the Sigma costs quite a bit more though.

I find the focal range to be pretty limiting beyond portrait work, but I want to keep walking around with it on. I could see myself investing in a wider 28mm Canon or 30mm Sigma prime down the road for a more normal perspective.

I picked up a generic lens hood for it on eBay for $4 shipped, which arrived today. Considering the price, it's functional enough. It doesn't have the black fuzzy 'flocked' material inside like the official Canon version, but I doubt it'll be a problem. I use my lens hoods for protection more than anything.

I just ordered a 60D as a selfish christmas present. Using it to replace me trusty 10D, which works fine but is slow and annoying to work with. Image quality is fine otherwise fine with the 10D and better than current APS-C dSLRs at lower ISOs.

The big selling point for me was the video capabilities. Otherwise, I would have saved up and got a Sony Alpha 850.

I have a 50mm 1.4 and rarely use it. My Tamron 17-50 F2.8 is just as sharp. IMHO, Canon makes the weakest wide primes in the industry.

Archived