Cultivated Reef

My new DSLR setup!

Christopher Marks

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Christopher Marks

I managed to pick up the kit for $811 at Frys Electronics after talking them into price matching an apparent error at their Burbank store! I found out that little tip on some random forum. I also picked up a 16gb class 10 sdhc card for $50. The battery is charging now...

Now I just have to call Adorama tomorrow to cancel the body and get my nice lens shipped out.

Christopher Marks

I'm really impressed with the camera so far. I haven't used a digital Rebel since I borrowed an XTi, the ergonomics and menus have really been refined. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow after I've spent more time with it.

I am jealous. I would love the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS.

Shooting with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 right now which I love, but the little bit of extra reach and IS plus canon name brand would be so much sweeter -_-

Christopher Marks
I am jealous. I would love the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS.

Shooting with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 right now which I love, but the little bit of extra reach and IS plus canon name brand would be so much sweeter -_-

How do you like your Tamron?

How do you like your Tamron?

I love it. Great focal length for me, sharp as a tack, built like a tank. f/2.8 is nice, if I need faster glass I can go to primes.

Only real complaint is AF is loud, especially compared to USM on the canon lenses. Usually doesn't bother me too much unless I'm shooting video with the t1i. (then i turn the focus to MF and just focus manually).

Macro lens would be sweet. You can also accomplish an inexpensive macro lens by buying macro rings. It's about $100 for 3 of them and they install between the body of the camera and the lens. Obviously a lense will be faster and let in more light but I've still been able to get amazing macro shots using rings

Christopher Marks

I haven't really looked into it much yet. 100mm or 150mm, Sigma's offerings seem pretty solid for the price. Canon does have a nice 100mm macro with IS, which works out to about 150mm on the crop body.

Sigma's sharpest macro is the 70mm (statistically). I actually just got it on Monday.

I've only been able to take these test shots, but the lens produces great results.

SDIM0004-1.jpg

SDIM0003-1.jpg

The 150mm is 2nd sharpest and offers great working distance. I think it's definitely their most popular macro. You can also get a tele-converter for only a couple hundred, and you've got yourself a tack sharp telephoto lens. I definitely recommend looking into the 150mm for sure.

[*]Canon Rebel T2i

Lens-Review.aspx"]Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens[/url]

Awesome camera and lens choice!

7D IQ at half the cost

17-55 is L class optically

Christopher Marks

Lots of practice shooting action this weekend. I screwed up a lot of potentially great photos, but it was a good learning experience. I was staying with a famous photographer from the scene, invaluable advice.

Here are a few:

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

Christopher Marks

Thanks! That last one doesn't have the best focus, but I was shooting with the photographer's wireless spot flash off to the right. Interesting effect in such harsh daylight. The second photo is my favorite from the weekend.

Archived