Top Shelf Aquatics

My new DSLR setup!

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

I've spent the past few weeks researching what to purchase for my first DSLR setup, and I finally decided to place my order tonight! I sprung for overnight shipping, hopefully everything is in stock.

I'm really looking forward to having my own camera again!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've spent the past few weeks researching what to purchase for my first DSLR setup, and I finally decided to place my order tonight! I sprung for overnight shipping, hopefully everything is in stock.

I'm really looking forward to having my own camera again!

Great buy

I suggest picking up the Canon EF Lens - 50 mm - F/1.8 its the best $80 you will spend on a lens and takes awesome photographs.

Here are some examples of what it can do

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ef_50_18ii/di...57621454263972/

Christopher Marks

Yeah, I'm going to borrow my friend's Canon 50mm f/1.2L lens quite a bit! I was debating purchasing the 24mm f/1.4L as my primary lens, but decided on the more versatile 17-55 f/2.8 for my first lens.

I want to shoot people riding bikes at night in city lighting with the fixed lens. 24mm seems appropriate for the 1.6x sensor, making it about 40mm. I guess if I end up using my friend's 50mm a lot, I'll invest in my own.

Congrats on the purchase, first of all!

Yeah, I'm going to borrow my friend's Canon 50mm f/1.2L lens quite a bit!

I guess if I end up using my friend's 50mm a lot, I'll invest in my own.

An understatement would be that the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 is worth looking into. Just going to put it out there for ya. I don't know how much of a difference the .2 loss of aperture will be to you-- for what it's worth, the Sigma is $500 and regarded as one of (if not the) best 50mm primes on the market...B&H has the Canon at...yikes! :bling: ...$1380. I'm not trying to push/influence you...I guess what I'm saying is, keep your options open! :)

Also, good call with the 24mm and knowing your conversion factor...40mm seems like a very pragmatic shooting option!

Congrats again, and post often, please!

I don't know how much of a difference the .2 loss of aperture will be to you-- for what it's worth, the Sigma is $500 and regarded as one of (if not the) best 50mm primes on the market...B&H has the Canon at...yikes! :bling: ...$1380. I'm not trying to push/influence you...I guess what I'm saying is, keep your options open! :)

Are you paid by Sigma or something ? 50mm 1.2 is not comparable to the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and is not the best prime on the market.

Congratulations on the new purchase, I'd like to see some pics once you get used to it.

I would suggest getting multiple smaller cards..one 32gig card and you take a ton of pics on that and then the chance something goes wrong and you lose ALL your pics. If you have a few 4 or 8 gig cards and split up the images then if one goes bad you dont lose everything

Are you paid by Sigma or something ? 50mm 1.2 is not comparable to the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and is not the best prime on the market.

Congratulations on the new purchase, I'd like to see some pics once you get used to it.

the sigma 50 1.4 holds it own pretty damn well to the OVERPRICED canon 1.2

Maybe you should look into some test between the two..and NOT a test done by the Digital picture. That guy is the biggest canon fanboy and he makes all his test of non canon lenses always in favor for the canon...I see you got experience with both the Siggy and Canon 50 in your gear there to make the comment :rolleyes:

Are you paid by Morton? Cuz you're mad salty about me suggesting a pretty decent 50mm prime for some reason.

I'm gonna go with 05X...I've seen enough unbiased reviews that I feel confident suggesting it to someone. Especially someone with a new system that might be a little cautious about dropping $1380 on a lens...that is, opposed to $500.

Christopher Marks

I spent the past few weeks reading countless lens reviews, I'm willing to invest in top quality glass when there's an advantage. I was hesitant to purchase the EF-S lens, since it's only compatible with 1.6x crop bodies, but it's the only fast zoom lens that will go that wide on a crop body, and it has the same optical elements as L series lenses. It cost more than the camera, but fortunately they hold their value should I move on to a full frame setup.

If the 50mm focal distance ends up working out, I'll certainly consider all the brands when I purchase my own. The Canon 50mm f/1.2L is quite expensive, but it's very sharp. I still think it may be too close for what I plan to shoot though, which leaves me back at the 24mm F/1.4L. It's sharp even wide open. If I don't end up shooting much night action, I won't invest nearly as much. It has the potential to be lucrative for me though, so I want to do it right.

I'm spending more for fast lenses because I often shoot handheld in poorly lit spaces, and I'm looking to avoid using a flash.

I am shocked..On the Digital picture. where you can look at the 100% ISO charts..it shows the Sigma has better IQ then the Canon 50 1.2

05, since when do you care about scientific, objective tests of photography equipment? (I have to say that, even when Im on your side of this argument)

Marks, why didn't you start a thread in here asking what camera to get? You would have gotten so much useful information.......

05, since when do you care about scientific, objective tests of photography equipment? (I have to say that, even when Im on your side of this argument)

Marks, why didn't you start a thread in here asking what camera to get? You would have gotten so much useful information.......

Im not..I was just saying I was surprised to see the Digital picture to show anything but canon lenses giving the best IQ vs 3rd party. I will take sample images taken by people who are out using the lens all the time over pics of test charts anyday of the week.

You could also consider upgrading your body to something with better high ISO performance if you end up shooting in low light a lot.

You could also consider upgrading your body to something with better high ISO performance if you end up shooting in low light a lot.

that T2i is pretty impressive at high ISO for the rebel line

Oh is it? I haven't gotten to play with one yet. It still holds true though, you could upgrade to a 50D or 7D and have better ISO performance.

Oh is it? I haven't gotten to play with one yet. It still holds true though, you could upgrade to a 50D or 7D and have better ISO performance.

I dont know about that..I think the new T2i has a better high ISo performance then the 50D

Christopher Marks

Yeah the T2i has better ISO, I think it matches or beats the 7D as well.

Unfortunately Adorama just emailed me that they don't have the camera in stock. It was showing in stock when I ordered, then out of stock this morning. Hopefully one comes in soon.

the sigma 50 1.4 holds it own pretty damn well to the OVERPRICED canon 1.2

Maybe you should look into some test between the two..and NOT a test done by the Digital picture. That guy is the biggest canon fanboy and he makes all his test of non canon lenses always in favor for the canon...I see you got experience with both the Siggy and Canon 50 in your gear there to make the comment :rolleyes:

Sorry, Im not used to quantifying my equipment related comments. I worked indirectly for Gentec, Canadian distributor for Sigma for 3 years. There is nothing particularly wrong with the sigma 50mm 1.4, however it should not regarded as the best 50mm on the market and is most defiantly not comparable to the 50mm 1.2. I have used them both, I don't own either at this time. Construction wise, not comparable. Handling wise, not comparable IMO and that one is subjective. Now on a 1.6X crop, you will be hard pressed to see any real differences, aside from using lens charts. The Cannon 50mm 1.4 vs the Sigma 50mm 1.4, there my be a valid comparison there. Just not with the 50mm 1.2, apples and oranges come to mind. If your using a 1.6 crop you wont really get the full value of either lens until you are shooting full frame. Until then any 50mm 1.8 will work just as well minus the .4 stop.

Didn't mean to come out firing, its was the second or third time I read something the along the lines of that sigma 50mm 1.4 being the most highly regarded lens in the 50mm range and is alot cheaper than another lens that is incomparable.

Sorry for the post high jack,

best luck.

Are you paid by Morton? Cuz you're mad salty about me suggesting a pretty decent 50mm prime for some reason.

Just read the same thing 2-3 times and find it annoying, misleading. I would agree that 50mm is pretty decent, I would at no time say that it is regarded as the best 50mm lens on the market at only half the price of lens it cant be compared to.

Sorry, Im not used to quantifying my equipment related comments. I worked indirectly for Gentec, Canadian distributor for Sigma for 3 years. There is nothing particularly wrong with the sigma 50mm 1.4, however it should not regarded as the best 50mm on the market and is most defiantly not comparable to the 50mm 1.2. I have used them both, I don't own either at this time. Construction wise, not comparable. Handling wise, not comparable IMO and that one is subjective. Now on a 1.6X crop, you will be hard pressed to see any real differences, aside from using lens charts. The Cannon 50mm 1.4 vs the Sigma 50mm 1.4, there my be a valid comparison there. Just not with the 50mm 1.2, apples and oranges come to mind. If your using a 1.6 crop you wont really get the full value of either lens until you are shooting full frame. Until then any 50mm 1.8 will work just as well minus the .4 stop.

Didn't mean to come out firing, its was the second or third time I read something the along the lines of that sigma 50mm 1.4 being the most highly regarded lens in the 50mm range and is alot cheaper than another lens that is incomparable.

Sorry for the post high jack,

best luck.

If you say so but I have seen numerous people putting the 50 1.2 and Sigma 1.4 in side by side and the Sigma pretty much is running with it just fine...The difference between the L's and Sigma EX builds are SOOO similar they are both built like tanks. I would not call the 50 1.2 the best on the market either as it has its design flaw of the focus shift that cannot be fixed. I dont get your handling claim. What is there to handle? They are both about the same size and have a focus ring and thats it.

Archived