SaltCritters.com

Kenny's 28g Nano Cube CF-Quad adventure!

kennycs1292

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the moon lights you use come with the Nano cube itself, or did you purchase some separate?

If you got them separate, what kind?

they came with the nano cube

Okay cool.. Im looking to purchase a nano cube at the end of this school year, and all of the info I have read says the moon lights only can be on when all of the lights are on..

not separate

kennycs1292

there is a separate plug for the moonlights so they can be on when the main lights are on, and when they are off. ill take a pic later tonight or tomorrow so you can see

tannersmith2000
there is a separate plug for the moonlights so they can be on when the main lights are on, and when they are off. ill take a pic later tonight or tomorrow so you can see

Hey Kenney

Great job with the set up! I have the exact same aquarium and I am on my 12th day of the cycle.

I will post a thread of my tank and its future evolution.

What did you do for filtration in the back of your tank? Did you use filter floss, chemi-pure, chaeto, purigen, etc?

Let me know your set up.

PS - I recommend a 10-15% water change each week of the cycle in order to keep your live rock's beneficil bacteria alive. I have had several saltwater tanks and that is crucial for a healthy cycling process. It's my very first nano tank so I am excited just like you!

Goood luck! :)

littlelacho
everything is going good. day 5 of the cycle. testing for ammonia spike, not really anything there yet. anyone have an idea of when ammonia will start spiking?

i must add that the LED moon lights on the cube are so cool. I love just looking at the tank at night with those lights on. all sorts of things come out, some tiny white snails, copepods, all cool things.

Glad all is going well! I agree...the moon lights look great! I love the MH lighting too but with my having nothing in the tank yet to absorb the light and the white sand, it is so blindingly bright lol! :eek:

My tank has cleared up nice too, Kenny :)

kennycs1292
Hey Kenney

Great job with the set up! I have the exact same aquarium and I am on my 12th day of the cycle.

I will post a thread of my tank and its future evolution.

What did you do for filtration in the back of your tank? Did you use filter floss, chemi-pure, chaeto, purigen, etc?

Let me know your set up.

PS - I recommend a 10-15% water change each week of the cycle in order to keep your live rock's beneficil bacteria alive. I have had several saltwater tanks and that is crucial for a healthy cycling process. It's my very first nano tank so I am excited just like you!

Goood luck! :)

thanks for the compliments :) . Right now i only have floss in to trap all the crap that came off the live rock, but once the cycle is complete i will be using chemi-pure elite, and the 28g nano cube skimmer. Maybe in the future i will add some chaeto to it, but that might be overkill for filtration.

Glad all is going well! I agree...the moon lights look great! I love the MH lighting too but with my having nothing in the tank yet to absorb the light and the white sand, it is so blindingly bright lol! :eek:

My tank has cleared up nice too, Kenny :)

if i could afford the MH or LED nano cube i would have gotten it in a heart beat. so i only have the CF quad, but that is perfect for what i am planning on having in the tank. And im glad to hear its all cleared up, cant wait to see!

P.S: I have yet to see ammonia or nitrite spike, but i do have some nitrates and a small diatom bloom forming. I used cured live rock, so that might explain the lack of ammonia or nitrate. Should i wait a few days, do a water change, and get my CUC now. or keep the cycle going, even though i have algae forming already?

littlelacho

The CF quad would have been good enough for me for a long while too because it will be a good bit before I try out any sps but got a decent deal on the HQI so lucked out there. LOL...I know, I know...like I said before...when it is something to look at beside a box of water with sand in it I will take some pics. Our tanks will only be a few weeks apart :-)

Well you must have had a spike in there somewhere if you have nitrates and diatoms...looks like you are pretty much there! I would wait another week before getting your cuc...let it stabalize out a bit more? Just what I would do though...

kennycs1292
The CF quad would have been good enough for me for a long while too because it will be a good bit before I try out any sps but got a decent deal on the HQI so lucked out there. LOL...I know, I know...like I said before...when it is something to look at beside a box of water with sand in it I will take some pics. Our tanks will only be a few weeks apart :-)

Well you must have had a spike in there somewhere if you have nitrates and diatoms...looks like you are pretty much there! I would wait another week before getting your cuc...let it stabalize out a bit more? Just what I would do though...

yeah im gonna do a small water change tomorrow to get some of the nitrates out, wait a little more to get the CUC, and if the algae gets out of hand before i get any CUC then i will just manually remove it. But im just suprised, its only been just under a week of cycling and im already getting nitrates. I have heard of that happening when people use cured live rock, makes for a much faster cycle. But im gonna just wait on live stock to be on the safe side.

Kenny great work so far!

Patience!!! ahhhh!!! I cant wait any longer, get a fish!!! hold me back... JK :)

I just sold my hood and got myself a hqi light. I have to wait for it to come in the mail.

So what are you into regarding corals? zoas, leathers,lps etc?

kennycs1292
Kenny great work so far!

Patience!!! ahhhh!!! I cant wait any longer, get a fish!!! hold me back... JK :)

I just sold my hood and got myself a hqi light. I have to wait for it to come in the mail.

So what are you into regarding corals? zoas, leathers,lps etc?

thanks for the compliment! for corals im planning on having a zoa garden on the bottom right side of the tank, and a ricordia garden on the bottem left, everything else is going to be a mix of mostly LPS. im a huge fan of acans, and my LFS has a whole crap load of different color varieties of acans. my mom wants something in the tank that flows with the current so i might put a frogspawn in there or something like that. but im gonna try to keep it on the rarer corals, not the basic toadstool leather and normal candy cane and such.

kennycs1292

just took some random pics, its gonna be boring like this until i get some live thingzzz.

post-51172-1268876386_thumb.jpg

Moon lights

post-51172-1268876413_thumb.jpg

Just messing around with the crappy macro setting on my camera. But you can see the diatom bloom already starting. Its gonna be a pretty quick cycle.

-kenny

kennycs1292
It's not boring it's exciting !!!!

boring as in no fish, coral, or inverts....yet. but i know it is exciting, every night i look at the tank with a flashlight staring at tiny snails and copepods and stuff, its so cool!

I know I did that also fun things in there. Do you know what kind of CUC you're going to get? What store has the acans? I have a little frogspawn for sale if u want it's like 2 heads I have to look at it but it's in the other room and I don't feel like crutching over there LOL . when you are ready let me know I have alot of odds and ends LOL

kennycs1292
I know I did that also fun things in there. Do you know what kind of CUC you're going to get? What store has the acans? I have a little frogspawn for sale if u want it's like 2 heads I have to look at it but it's in the other room and I don't feel like crutching over there LOL . when you are ready let me know I have alot of odds and ends LOL

For CUC its going to be pretty much only snails (astrea, cerith, nass). Tropical Island has a bunch of different acan varieties. I went there today and there was a giant acan boulder with at least 500 heads on it, thing must cost thousands of $. If you can send a pic of the frogspawn i would most likely be interested.

ok I will send it later on the camera is in the basement and not going down there LOL. It's a peice from the 30gl I have. I really need to get over to that store. He really does have nice stuff

littlelacho

Looking great, Kenny! I am really loving your aquascape...it looks like your rock pieced together like a puzzle...perfect. We have the same taste so far with our aquariums from aquascape to coral plans! Keep up the good work as I am living vicarously through you right now...my 10 month old pup is having some issues and may be seriously sick so the rock is on hold for now :(

kennycs1292

awww im sorry about your puppy, hope he/she does well.

Update: more diatom bloom, zero ammonia, zero nitrite, had nitrates but i did a water change, so i guess my tank is pretty much done cycling. going to pick up my CUC today, install my skimmer, add chemi pure, and keep up on water changes for another week or two till i add anything else

That's a good plan you have there. I took all my rock and water from an already cycled tank and I'm on a second cycle in this tank already. Keep up the water changes & filter cleaning and you'll be on the right track.

kennycs1292
That's a good plan you have there. I took all my rock and water from an already cycled tank and I'm on a second cycle in this tank already. Keep up the water changes & filter cleaning and you'll be on the right track.

yeah, i only got a small CUC to start

i got 2 mexican red leg hermits, 4 small margarita snails, and two turbo snails. The rest of my CUC is going to be astrea snails, cerith, and nass. snails (in a week or so).

littlelacho
awww im sorry about your puppy, hope he/she does well.

Update: more diatom bloom, zero ammonia, zero nitrite, had nitrates but i did a water change, so i guess my tank is pretty much done cycling. going to pick up my CUC today, install my skimmer, add chemi pure, and keep up on water changes for another week or two till i add anything else

Thank you...she may have kidney problems :( I am keeping my fingers crossed! Anyway, onto the happy stuff! Sounds great and I see you added some cuc and will add more in a week...nice. Let me know what you think of the skimmer (wait, do you have the jbj?) and how it works for you when you get it up and running for a while. I had the stock skimmer running (even though there is nothing in the tank) because I never used a skimmer with my last FO tank and I am confused as to how it will really work so was trying to check it out. It is a pain in the arse getting the cup off to open the hood but can live with that if it works well enough. The bubbles (I know there is nothing to pull yet) only just came up past the little hose in the body of the skimmer so I thought to myself, how will it rise to fill the cup? No instructions so...I can't push it down any further due to the big collection cup and turned it on as high as it will go. Anyway...would like to get someone else's take on it.

kennycs1292
Thank you...she may have kidney problems :( I am keeping my fingers crossed! Anyway, onto the happy stuff! Sounds great and I see you added some cuc and will add more in a week...nice. Let me know what you think of the skimmer (wait, do you have the jbj?) and how it works for you when you get it up and running for a while. I had the stock skimmer running (even though there is nothing in the tank) because I never used a skimmer with my last FO tank and I am confused as to how it will really work so was trying to check it out. It is a pain in the arse getting the cup off to open the hood but can live with that if it works well enough. The bubbles (I know there is nothing to pull yet) only just came up past the little hose in the body of the skimmer so I thought to myself, how will it rise to fill the cup? No instructions so...I can't push it down any further due to the big collection cup and turned it on as high as it will go. Anyway...would like to get someone else's take on it.

the skimmer has only been on for a day, so far the only annoying thing i have noticed about it is that the tubing keeps getting disconnected from the air pump, so i have to figure something out for that. And yes it is the jbj. My tank is looking quite brown from diatom bloom so im hoping to stock it up with more snaily things soon.

Archived